[Review] Sensaphonics j-phonics - the BEST professional universal stage ear monitor yet
Aug 4, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #166 of 208

Quote:
J-Phonic K2 SP/MX head-fi club.

-Shigzeo : SP?
-Yooss
-ClieOS : SP?
-TMMC : SP?
-Tone Seeker : SP
-dogears : SP'd MX
etysmile.gif
Royal Purple
-Kiteki : SP Skeleton

any more?

Aug 4, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #167 of 208
I think so, just updated my version so SP'd MX :p

I think the filter is not so porous hence it was congesting the sound - too much for my ears that it sort of gave me a headache after listening for a short time.

This would be a very interesting comparo with the Sony MDR-7550.

Quote:

So since you poked the filter, does that mean it sounds like the SP version now since the filter tames the highs to make the lows sound more prominent? I can't decide which to get.

Aug 5, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #169 of 208
That's about right. Being a dynamic IEM, GR07 has more quantity of bass at the lower end. It is part of its strength.. K2 SP by itself can do sub-bass very well too, just not as much in quantity when compared to GR07.

Thanks. I find the bass on the GR07 to be balanced, which is to say it's neither bloated nor anemic as compared to the rest of the frequencies. Contrast this with the IE8 or SE215, which horribly over-empahsize the bass (I think I should just sell these).

So, having said that, I'm trying to understand your statement here. Are you saying that there is sub-bass, but it's rolled off or otherwise less proportional to the other frequencies, as compared to the GR07? Or that the volume ceiling for the bass is lower? Or that it rolls of, but not completely?

Sorry to be a PITA about it. :cool:

Aug 5, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #170 of 208

It was designed after the sound of the Sensaphonics 2X-S (and 2MAX), which was designed specifically for stage use (as that was really the only market for IEMs at the time). It is full-range, designed for accuracy, and does not roll off highs. It's definitely in the reference/flat/neutral sound signature area (referring to SP version), the only one I'm familiar with.

All "stage monitor" really means is that it's designed to please musicians and sound engineers, and is marketed to them primarily.

As I understand it.

Thank you. This is really helpful. It suggests to me that the difference between "stage monitor" and "audiophile" IEMs is largely either marketing or faux audiophile babble (depending on the source). Which frankly doesn't suprise me in the least.

To me, what you are describing is an audiophile ideal for a speaker.

Aug 5, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #171 of 208
Actually I can hear 30Hz on both GR07 and K2 SP on a frequency sweep, but K2 SP is a tiny bit less in volume (not much though, probably with in a few dB). The real difference in quantity is in the speed and decay of bass. GR07 is slower with more decay, creating a fuller bass note. K2 SP bass note hits and decays faster, so the same note doesn't linger quite as long as GR07 and appeal to be thinner, thus lesser..

Aug 5, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #172 of 208
Actually I can hear 30Hz on both GR07 and K2 SP on a frequency sweep, but K2 SP is a tiny bit less in volume (not much though, probably with in a few dB). The real difference in quantity is in the speed and decay of bass. GR07 is slower with more decay, creating a fuller bass note. K2 SP bass note hits and decays faster, so the same note doesn't linger quite as long as GR07 and appeal to be thinner, thus lesser..

Thanks again! Now I understand what you're saying.

As someone who finds the bass on the CK10 to be good (just lacking in extension) and also as someone who uses eQu, the SP sounds like it could indeed suit my tastes. Very cool!

Aug 5, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #173 of 208
Same thing I've observed with the 7550 vs K2'd MX. The j-phonic's bass sounds like a toned down sub vs the Sony. It doesn't mean its inferior though, it's there - just different in presentation. And would just boil down to preference if one is to choose.
I've been rereading your (ClieOS) review (as well as shigzeo's) and its spot on to what I'm hearing. It indeed has a slight warmish mids that very much appeals to my ears.

Quote:

Aug 5, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #174 of 208
I know I need to be quiet about IEM's I haven't heard (GR07), but I don't quite follow the J-phonic and GR07 comparison?

It seems more fitting for the J-phonic to be likened with the ck10, q-jays, w2 etc., not a bio-cellulose dynamic driver?

From my experience bio-cellulose and dual-armatures do not sound alike.

Aug 5, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #175 of 208

Quote:
From my experience bio-cellulose and dual-armatures do not sound alike.

It is the tuning that is alike (toward monitor style), not that they sounds alike. You will still get the extra resolution of the BA driver from K2 that you won't find it on GR07. On the other hand, GR07 will have the cohesiveness of a single driver that you won't find on dual driver, etc.

Aug 6, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #176 of 208
Hello guys! I've been following this thread for quite a while and decided to take the plunge! I bought the SP and waiting for it to arrive. I am currently using UE Metrofi 220. Will I be pleasently suprise with the sound quality of these iem? Really excited and I cant wait to get my hands on them! =D

Aug 6, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #177 of 208

Quote:
Hello guys! I've been following this thread for quite a while and decided to take the plunge! I bought the SP and waiting for it to arrive. I am currently using UE Metrofi 220. Will I be pleasently suprise with the sound quality of these iem? Really excited and I cant wait to get my hands on them! =D

Wow, first post and you are already jumping from Metro.fi 220 to j-phonic! Welcome to HF, and I'll say you make a great choice.

Aug 6, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #179 of 208
Haha.Thanks ClieOS.Well, I have been looking for a good IEM for quite a while already. I heard the mid fouced se535 and the sm3. I havent heard the j phonics before, but I must say, from all the feedbacks and reviews I have been seeing, it does look promising =)
Time to sell off my bookshelf speakers and move on to earphones!

Aug 7, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #180 of 208
- i'm still waiting for the stock for the K2s to arrive so i can order (=

i'm thinking of upgrading my DAP to a HM601, how would it synergize or pair with both the K2 and SM3 playing primarily metal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back