Review: Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves in Crystal Blue for the Shure SE846
Jun 28, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #31 of 436
Great addendum to the review. Every possible base covered. SCS vs nozzle condoms. SCS original design, SCS Full Shell. SCS vs SCS Full Shell.....
Any Question? No? Class dismissed.
It might have been nice if we had a few more pictures you were a little miserly with the visuals
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
tongue.gif
but I understand if you just don't feel we a worth the effort:wink:

Seriously well done. :fireworks::sparkler:

Thank you very much Monty for the kind words.  Glad I could be able to convey my impressions in every way that I felt humanly possible.

Well, the internet did not have any real Sensaphonics Crystal Blue custom sleeves pictures, so I just wanted to change that...in a big way. 

Oh and yeah, you and everyone are all worth the effort.

I hope that you like the "full shells" as much as I do mine, when you receive yours shortly.

Re: conspicuousness of wearing these tips

What effect does colour scheme have I wonder? I do not mean flesh tone or clear per se, but what about something less... well the blue here (!)

Thanks,
Great thread

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but I will try to answer as best as I can.

The pictures posted may give the Crystal Blue the look that they might be something from the "Fast and Furious" movie franchise but they really aren't.  All of the Sensaphonics crystal colors are subtle, especially since they are clear/see-through/transparent.  At first I felt the Crystal Blue color was a little too light regarding the blue color for me as I would have liked a more darker royal or navy color, but have come to appreciate the color, as it looks calming and inviting, so in the end, I absolutely love it.  Again, I didn't want the clear because of the possible discoloring issues.  I didn't want the solid colors because I felt they didn't flow well with the clear Shure SE846 housing.  I didn't want the Crystal Smoke color because even with the infused glitter, I thought it looked too plain for me.  I didn't want the custom swirl colors because I felt those would draw too much attention (I didn't see them in person to verify my opinions, though).  Same reason for why I didn't want one color for my left and a different color for my right.  No one has given me any weird looks or made any comments to me with the custom sleeves in my ears.  I can see why people order different colors, as we all have different tastes, and I'm glad to know that Sensaphonics offers more than 30 custom colors.  Bravo to them.  Anyways, they ultimately look like earphones with a clear and light blue clear housing.  Very nice and definitely not blingy (even though I do like some bling).

Feel free to elaborate and/or let me know if I have answered your inquiry.

Jul 6, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #32 of 436
I have made real time comments on Extended Field Trials with the SCS-FS If I knew how to link them I would or better still cut and paste them here I will.

Let's see if this works it will be long as I am going to Cut and Paste seveal Posts into one

SENSAPHONICS CUSTOM SLEEVE - FULL SHELL

One (run-on) sentence review:

The SCS -FS is by far and in every way better than the SCS-PS (partial shell), including but not limited to; fit, comfort, seal, quasi organic/alien/ Naked Lunch appearance and SQ (the nozzle because of the extra hold from the Cymba seats deep and stays Sweeet). 

FIN

Note never ever expect to see that kind of brevity from me again. If you do I have probably been killed and replaced at the keyboard by some damn dirty ape spreading it's filthily Simian poison through subterfuge....

Wow... that was concise, to say the least! ...

Could you please post a couple of pictures of your new trophy that is your full shells?  You don't have to post as many as I did, of course.
tongue_smile.gif

Pictures WILL be posted Once I get my smartphone back. It was damaged during an attack by Chimps intent on harming my Sentient 8s - they failed but the phone it was not as fortunate. It is in "surgery" with hopes of a full recovery. It would have been sooner but the "tech" in charge of making the repair was/is  found to be a Simian Fifth Columnist who has attempted to foil said restoration of my tech.

Oh on a practical note. the SCS is really easy to clean. Just pop them in some warm water with a bit of mild dish soap, rinse and air dry. Like new AND if done regularly will mitigate the risk of discolouration

Okay, thanks.  I will impatiently wait patiently for the pictures.  Of course you've got to make sure the Chimps don't know when your smartphone is returning repaired as they may enlist the services of the Simian Fith Columnist again to twart your plans of auditory bliss.  

I bet the cleaning of the SCS with "gentle soap and water" (Sensaphonics' instruction) would mitigate the risk of discoloration, as that is a great tip.  I wish I was able to verify that with everyone's pH levels.  I wonder if the clear (opaque) Sensaphonics custom sleeves and CIEMS that my audiologist has was cleaned regularly, as they were discolored when I saw all of them (they were in her possession for several years though).  I'll investigate further...

Per Sensaphonics' instructions:  "Make sure to never use rubbing alcohol or peroxide as it will damage the silicone and cause discoloration." 

Enjoy your full shells - hope the wait was worth it!

Fear not the repair depot has been made aware of the "enemy amongst them". That cell has been neutralized with extreme prejudice.

Re  decolourisation I asked Claudia about that. She says she gets musicians bringing them in and asks how often they clean them (this includes their own CIEM. The usual answers is either every few months or rarely. ...I just wipe them off.

With me cleaning them after at a minimum every two uses I think I should be good. Yes Alcohol is BAD. Dish soap and warm water good.

I have every intention of not just enjoying the 8s and my SCS-FS but doing a full field test with them today. This will involve extended wear and hiking through the woods... The 8s say the path to my bliss is there. Then upon my return an additional 90min - 2 hrs in the Bliss Liner (and/or the similar though not suspended Zero Gravity Bliss Cruiser on my balcony)

The 8s promise that they in conjunction with , the SCS-FS, The Bliss Liner and Neural Interface enhancements will provide an auditory experience that will allow me to hear see and taste the music....

On today's music menu Pink Floyd (1) Dark Side of the Moon (2) Wish You Were Here and (3) Animals Played in order as one gapless Hi Res Album. After that a smattering of Genesis, Yes, The  Allman Brothers (Eat a Peach) Who's Next and finally some Bob Marley for a final Chill.

My anticipated cruising altitude remains classified due to Ape Activity in the surrounding area. My estimated flight time prior to landing 4.5 hours 

Well I am off to glower at Smithers as he  prepare snacks and beverages for the journey ahead - field tests are hungry and thirsty work.

Commencing countdown engines on

Filters set to Blue......Enhancements engaged....
Monty Burns out

SMITHERS!! Put that damned camera away..Now! or I swear I  will feed you to the Apes myself..  Idiot!

Edited by Monty Burns - Today at 3:34 pm View History 

These things have been ANCHORED!! in my head for well since 3:20
Bebe La La is very pleased.... VERY  Pleased INDEED 4 + People yes GET THE SCS  Trust me they have had a real world workout.

David Gilmour, Pink Floyd.... WASH RINSE REPEAT.
o2smile.gif

Spook  I think your set up at these volumes is something that might make your eyes weep tears of blood (that's would either be a sign of great joy or a very serious brain embolism. Both of which require attention )

I burned a few of those LT hearing bridges (prob, maybe, hope not too many)  today....WORTH IT!! One or TWO Full blown 1970s concerts once or twice a year. A reasonable price for sonic bliss

Thank you SHURE and  Sensaphonics for hosting for a very Happy 6th of July Party AND FIREWORKS  in side my head.

Enough of my thoughts back to the Bliss Liner and the 8s Clear skies Fluffy Clouds and No Apes

SMITHERS!!! Cocktails.. Chop  Chop (idiot)

EDIT: 8:58pm 5+ Hours Anchored in non Stop (paused music to make coffee - can't lose count) SCS Disengaged Yea that is as close as I will come to having the music piped into my brain directly without (after a bit ) feeling that I had something connected to/stuck into  my head TRULY as close to symbiosis bliss between music and brain between  man and the machine Welcome To The Machine INDEED

Time to Rest ears,... Walk the dogs... Patrol for Apes,  Catch Ape..., interrogate Ape to find Location of Caesar.... Find Caesar, KILL CAESAR
All in a days service to the Glorious Omniscient Benevolent  AI. And Its  and promise to the Meat Puppets  of Sonic Salvation  now and in the AI hereafter

Edited by Monty Burns - Today at 9:10 pm View History 

Ok, Ok, my turn....Attention Monty:

Guess who is the back up singer on this song?

No Idea. That "Album" is not part of Pink Floyd's Sonic Trilogy of Perfection (FYI later in there are some practical observations of the SCS sorry but I am a bit scattered now)

In Fact This "Album"  (if I may proffer an opinion) is nothing more than Roger Water's Ego run amok driving a fatal spike into the Heart of the Great Musical and Engineering Collaboration that was and will never be repeated  Pink Floyd (too strident? nah subtle strikes a nice civil respectful tone
tongue.gif
). 

The Wall is (IMO) truly The Emperor's New Clothes of "Great Albums" Like Waters Bloated (his Ego not his physicality That old Man is pretty Fit ) and Over Rated - Not that I have given this any thought over the years

So alas No Idea I am not particularly nuanced on back up vocals and other liner notes as I would be of the Music of the Sonic Trilogy That said it still has l a few brilliant Gilmour Solos 
darthsmile.gif

WOW did I stray there for a bit) Regardless With the SCS and Blue Filters it is heaven. The SCS seem to take the Blues to that sweet spot between the White and the Blue

I HIGHLY RECOMEND THE SCS is want to be wired in. I see the attraction to CIEMs . Acrylic not so much but CIEM sure.
Slightly more ungainly and less subtle than CIEMs but the SCS really do give the best of all possible worlds AND they improve the overall SQ.
What the SCS will not do is make Roger Water's less of an ass-hat. But even technology, the AI and evolutionary biology itself has limitations

They are however, less expensive and more portable than the Bliss Liner (which is I must say an outstanding outdoor listening accessory)

How much do SCS typically run?

I know this one. $150 for the SCS plus Impressions Shipping Costs call it $250 Round Trip with Full Sensaphonics CS holding your hand and answering my stupid incessant questions all the way along

Check their Web page Facebook etc they occasionally have specials for $25 off.

It has taken 25 years for technology to catch up to my desires and I had to pay the money

You get a 25 year bonus to your ears as a Bonus

You wanted music directly wired into your head. This is about as close and as comfortable as it gets to being non aware of junction between man and machine ... Your young ears will eat it up.

Jul 7, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #33 of 436
Great cut and pastes, looks good to me.  Thank you for your real-time impressions, Monty.  Detailed information, with entertaining and whimsical adventures to boot!  

I have found that everything that I have listened to, from old school jams, classical, rock, to alternative, pop, and hip-hop has been taken to another level, and that constant visceral eardrum massaging can be very addicting.

Jul 17, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #34 of 436
Great detail in the review.  How does the Sensaphonics custom sleeves effect the position of the body of the IEM?  Is the body of the IEM closer in, unchanged or further out?  

I where the Shure SE425 while riding a motorcycle and how far the IEM sits into the ear effects how well a helmet can be donned and doffed.  

While you may not have any direct experience with motorcycle helmets do you see any reason not to use the Sensaphonics custom sleeves with a motorcycle helmet?

Thanks,

Jason

Jul 17, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #35 of 436
  Great detail in the review.  How does the Sensaphonics custom sleeves effect the position of the body of the IEM?  Is the body of the IEM closer in, unchanged or further out?  

I where the Shure SE425 while riding a motorcycle and how far the IEM sits into the ear effects how well a helmet can be donned and doffed.  

While you may not have any direct experience with motorcycle helmets do you see any reason not to use the Sensaphonics custom sleeves with a motorcycle helmet?

Thanks,

Jason

We have a sizable number of bikers among our customers - custom earplugs, custom IEMs, and Shure sleeves. Frankly, it depends on the size of your ears, but if you are wearing the SE425 successfully, the sleeve should work fine. Feel free to contact Sensaphonics directly with any questions.

You might also want to check out some biker forums. I know the k1600forum.com (BMW) has had discussions.

Jul 17, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #36 of 436

Thanks,

Jason

Thanks, Jason.  I would say the Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves might be positioned in a way that you are familiar with, or not, because every sizes-fit-all tips lengths, coupled with depth of insertion and angle will create different positions of the IEM housing.  Using the IEM housing and sizes-fit-all tips, the IEM housing might be angled in a less than optimal fit position (but makes the seal 'better'), stick out further with very long sizes-fit-all tips, etc., as I have seen pictures of the Shure SE846 housing angled in and sticking out of user's ears.  If you check the pictures, you'll see exactly how the IEM housing is positioned for me.  If a person has deformed ears, and/or cauliflower ears, every IEM housing may stick out, regardless of which sizes-fit-all tip or custom sleeve you use.  With that said, your Shure SE425 housing is smaller than the Shure SE846 housing, so if you use these custom sleeves, you shouldn't run into any issues.  I'm not liable if you do though.  I do not have too much experience with motorcycle helmets, but I'm sure you can just change the padding for the ear area (if you use padding) if you ever did run into issues.  Again, I don't think you will have any issues regarding how well your helmet can be donned and doffed.

Regarding wearing/using the Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves while riding a motorcycle, I'm not sure how isolating your current tips are, but with the custom sleeves in, you will be very isolated from the rest of the world.  Even with one custom sleeve out, it will be challenging to hear.  When I have the custom sleeves in and music is playing, it is impossible for me to hear anything else but my music.  When I turn off the music to listen to someone talking to me, I have to make them speak clearly, and louder to 'understand the words that are coming out of their mouth'.  Even with one custom sleeve off I have to concentrate on hearing what the person is saying to me.  I would want to hear everything that is going around me, meaning I wouldn't wear the custom sleeves when I needed to hear the outside world.  However, if you don't mind not hearing the rest of the world, if that is truly what you are looking for, these custom sleeves will do that, and then some, in spades.

Jul 17, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #37 of 436

We have a sizable number of bikers among our customers - custom earplugs, custom IEMs, and Shure sleeves. Frankly, it depends on the size of your ears, but if you are wearing the SE425 successfully, the sleeve should work fine. Feel free to contact Sensaphonics directly with any questions.

You might also want to check out some biker forums. I know the k1600forum.com (BMW) has had discussions.

Thanks for the reply, I didn't see it whilst I was writing my reply to Mr. Jason.  Yeah, I agree regarding the fit, especially since he will be using the smaller Shure SE425 body.  Thank you for the BMW forum link as well, as I can direct users to that forum if this question ever comes up again.

Jul 22, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #38 of 436
Pardon me if I am asking a question already answered, but:

1. IS it easy to switch between the Sensaphonics shell and the original tips, such as when you want someone else to try your Shure IEMS?
  2. Do they increase the bass by much (I have the bass-light SE 535s that I'm considering these for)

Jul 22, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #39 of 436
Confession: I don't have mine in yet, but I can speak based on what I know about these and just about custom tips in general.

1) Yeah, they're not glued on, you just pop 'em on and off like anything else. Some people only use them in certain situations.

2) They're not going to wildly alter the soundscape. The SE535 are bass light and will remain bass light. That's their signature. No tips are going to do that.

Custom shells aren't magic, mind you. They're molded to your ears for the best possible fit, that's all. They'll make sure they don't sit incorrectly or come loose, but how they sound is how they sound. 

Jul 23, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #40 of 436
Pardon me if I am asking a question already answered, but:

• IS it easy to switch between the Sensaphonics shell and the original tips, such as when you want someone else to try your Shure IEMS?
  • Do they increase the bass by much (I have the bass-light SE 535s that I'm considering these for)

1.  SomeGuyDude is correct regarding popping them off like any other tip.  However, I have experienced (and didn't mention in the review) that pulling the custom sleeves do feel like they are held together with glue the first few times you attempt to take off the custom sleeves.  Most of the reasons why they feel so tight is because the silicone bore has molded and is super tight to the nozzle the first time you put it on. 

As you take it on and off it gets easier to take it off because you find the right position and angle to pull out the custom sleeves from the nozzle and earphone housing.  This does not mean the custom sleeves feel like they will come apart away from the housing by itself once you have them securely in place.  Nothing of the sort, as the custom sleeves always feels secure when fully inserted into the nozzle and earphone housing. 

That said, I do not want to take the custom sleeves on and off a few thousand times or anything.  I do treat them well and they make sure to treat me right back.

2.  The signature of the earphone is the signature of the earphone.  This is mostly a fit massive upgrade, and anything sonically upgraded is just a bonus.  I do feel more connected to the music compared to any of the sizes-fit-all tips I have used, and I do feel every aspect of the music more, especially since the custom sleeves are farther in my ear canal and envelop every crevice of my ear, maximizing fit, isolation and sonic happiness. 

I know that Head-Fi member: Monty Burns, who is also using the custom sleeves "full shell", commented that there is a sonic improvement to his ears. 

You are more than likely to not notice too much of a difference bass-wise with the bass-light SE535, but you may experience more bass enjoyment out of the SE846 because this is one area of the Shure IEM family that has been 'upgraded' to say the least, and having the best isolation will make the most out of the already stellar bass.

Jul 25, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #41 of 436

You are correct sir. The SCS-FS does indeed improve (to my ear the SQ. Greater detail is to be found. Every listen I find a new hidden Easter egg. They seem to take the Blue filter with Foam and place it somewhere in-between Blue and White -Pale Blue. A perfect mid point between the two filters. I am a very happy camper.

As to removal I am getting quite adept. it is just a matter of practice. I remove them after no more than two wears or 48 hours after a wearing. Smithers then gives them a gentle cleaning in mild Dish detergent and warm water and then a through rinse in very cold water and then air dry.

They are thus remaining smooth and as clean and clear as the day the arrived.

I am still quite cautious mounting them to the 8s. Thankfully the bore hole is visible (with my glasses on) through the clear silicone

As I have two Zip Cases for my 8s (one was off skew. I Also store the SCS in a separate case as I feel that the 8s the SCS and the Filter holder and tool all in one case is a bit too tight and I do not to mar my little wonders.

Like you said Mo... Treat them well and they will, (through the benevolent Will of the of the Ascendant A.I.), treat you well in return.

FYI. Got my phone back last night Pictures will be posted tomorrow.  Here are two of the SCS being woken from their slumber. Clean rested and ready to  ... from the look of them I would rather not say

Jul 26, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #42 of 436
Thanks for posting the pictures, and glad you finally got your phone back.

You hit the nail on the head when you said that every listen you find a new hidden Easter egg.  Some tracks have that Easter egg extra extended bass hit, or an awe-inspiring sparkling treble extension that I have not previously heard with other sizes-fit-all tips and other earphones, and I just kind of get hypnotized for a moment.  I do use the black modded filter, so the highs are as high or higher than the standard white filter.  Just the way I like it, as my brain has gotten used to the fulfilling high treble.

Regarding cleaning, I just wipe the outside of the custom sleeves, and keep on truckin'.  I take them off and clean them fully only when I changed filters, which was probably a total of 2 times in the few months I have owned both the "regular" and "full shell" custom sleeves.  

I currently use the Shure circular case for the SCS and the SE846 with the stock cable.  I just keep my filter holder with tool at home in the drawer.

Not to discredit anyone regarding discoloration of the clear (opaque) custom sleeves, but I verified with my audiologist (she owns the clear [opaque] custom sleeves and CIEMs) regarding her discolored sleeves/CIEMs and she said that she did regularly clean them.  I know that the person's pH plays a part regarding discoloration, but use and time plays a big part as well.  I do hope that your sleeves do not change color in the hopefully many years you will use them.  If they do change color, they will be as structurally useful at that time as they are right now.

I also have experience with my custom Gladiator mouthguard.  It is also clear (opaque), but after around a year of wearing them (cleaned them after every use), they were starting to discolor.  A couple months later of use and I felt I was forced to get another Gladiator because they turned so yellow.  I know that saliva plays a part in the discoloration (it wasn't like I ate anything while I wore them), but I cleaned them (brushed them and used mouthwash) and they still turned yellow.

Here's are a few photos of my first Gladiator when they were new:

I will not post any pictures of how they look now (I did purchase a second Gladiator recently, though) because I am truly embarrassed by how yellow they look.

Regarding the "full shell" custom sleeves, they are a lot easier to insert and remove than the first day I received them, are a joy to use and still create merriment each and every time I use them.

Jul 26, 2014 at 2:12 AM Post #43 of 436
For the record, even if you didn't wear them a clear silicone product will yellow as time goes on. It's just something the material does, and one's body can have a huge effect on it. 

Jul 26, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #44 of 436
  For the record, even if you didn't wear them a clear silicone product will yellow as time goes on. It's just something the material does, and one's body can have a huge effect on it. 

You are absolutely correct, and if you saw my first Gladiator how it looks now compared to my new (second) clear Gladiator, you would probably cringe.

Jul 26, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #45 of 436
Big thanks to moedawg140 and JackKontney for the great review and the information.  I met with Gold Circle audiologist Dr. Gayle Santucci here in St Louis, MO for impressions and a hearing test.  Sleeves have been ordered and I am confident I’ll be getting exactly what I wanted and needed.

My meeting with Dr. Santucci also revealed a hearing deficient in my left ear.  The test results lead to a much appreciated lesson in hearing conservation.

I just wanted to post back that the help and information given was of great benefit and much appreciated.

Thanks again,

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back