Review: Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves in Crystal Blue for the Shure SE846
Jun 24, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #16 of 436
  You are right, it is very simple.  However, I told my audiologist that I wanted Sensaphonics to make me "full shells" as she was the one who sent in the order to Sensaphonics, but I wound up receiving the "regular shells".  My advice is no matter what, verify with Sensaphonics (don't just rely on the middle-man/woman) to make sure they are creating the type of shell you want.

Definitely gotta make sure the audiologist knows what you mean. I got lucky in that the place I went to dealt with Sensaphonics a bunch and the one dude used to work in Chicago with them to some degree, so he knew exactly what was going on.

Jun 24, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #17 of 436

Definitely gotta make sure the audiologist knows what you mean. I got lucky in that the place I went to dealt with Sensaphonics a bunch and the one dude used to work in Chicago with them to some degree, so he knew exactly what was going on.

Even if you think the audiologist is well versed with Sensaphonics (as is mine), knows exactly what you mean when you say it to them, and they recite to you verbatim what you requested from them, does not mean they know what you mean, and they can just flat out forget what you specifically wanted (I think my audiologist just forgot).  Therefore, I advise, no matter what, to verify from the company itself - Sensaphonics, so there will be absolutely no issues.  Better safe, than have to wait for what you really wanted - as I'm still waiting for what I really wanted.

Jun 24, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #18 of 436

Just go to the audiologist and say you're sending a full-shell impression. Simple stuff, I just did it earlier today.

Eureka moment

The Impression is always done Full Shell (its even in the how2PDF). That is the part where they fill up your entire outer ear with "the goo" (Ear Bukkake
biggrin.gif
- I have a lot of growing up to do) 

The Full Shell Sleeve is now basically the same as an CIEM. Half Shell or Full Shell SCS they still need a Full Shell Impression to make it.

Now back to the bathtub

Jun 24, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #19 of 436
  Eureka moment

The Impression is always done Full Shell (its even in the how2PDF). That is the part where they fill up your entire outer ear with "the goo" (Ear Bukkake
biggrin.gif
- I have a lot of growing up to do) 

The Full Shell Sleeve is now basically the same as an CIEM. Half Shell or Full Shell SCS they still need a Full Shell Impression to make it.

Now back to the bathtub

Absolutely correct Mr. Burns.  Even though I got the impressions done Full Shell, I received the Regular/Half Shell custom sleeves - even though I requested that my audiologist let Sensaphonics know to make the Full Shell custom sleeves.

Jun 24, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #20 of 436
From Sensaphonics Facebook Page today

Sensaphonics In-Ear Monitors and Musician Earplugs shared a link.
12 hours ago

Owners of Shure IEMs should check out this very detailed review of Sensaphonics custom sleeves by moedawg140.

Review: Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves in Crystal Blue for the Shure SE846
www.head-fi.org

Review: Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves in Crystal Blue for the Shure SE846 - Universal Tips to...

1. Sensaphonics In-Ear Monitors and Musician Earplugs Spoiler Alert: Here's the last paragraph of the review:
    "If you want, need, or desire the crème-de-le-crème of earphone tips for your Shure earphones, look no further than the Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves. Happy Listening!"
    12 hours ago · Like

I know I can cut and paste with the best of them...it's a gift

Jun 25, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #21 of 436
Thanks for the info - Am I missing something or has there been any review of the "full shell" for the 846? Is there any downside to the full shell re any kind of venting, etc? I actually just bought the 846's but haven't opened the box yet to take a really close look at them.

Jun 25, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #22 of 436
There's no downside aside from it just being bigger. There's no more or less venting, what the extra material does is keep it secured to your ear more steadily since it's "holding" onto the contours more than resting in the ear canal.

Jun 25, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #23 of 436
  Thanks for the info - Am I missing something or has there been any review of the "full shell" for the 846? Is there any downside to the full shell re any kind of venting, etc? I actually just bought the 846's but haven't opened the box yet to take a really close look at them.

No worries, hockey_magnet.  Under Epiphany, I talk about and give the thread and post number, where a user gives his summarized impressions of his full shell custom sleeves.  There should be absolutely no venting regarding the regular or full shell sleeves since the custom sleeves are silicone molds of your ears and should be pliable enough to move with you when you move around without losing its seal.   I will be updating the review once I receive and wear my full shell custom sleeves in two days. 

There's no downside aside from it just being bigger. There's no more or less venting, what the extra material does is keep it secured to your ear more steadily since it's "holding" onto the contours more than resting in the ear canal.

Correct.  The full shell sleeves are bigger, but shouldn't stick out any farther out of the ear since the bigger addition covers/envelops the cymba area of the ear. 

Jun 25, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #24 of 436

Thanks a lot - Actually I was referring to the venting of the 846 - It looks like there is a small vent on the rear of it so I was wondering if covering that with silicone would change the sound

Jun 25, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #25 of 436
  No worries, hockey_magnet.  Under Epiphany, I talk about and give the thread and post number, where a user gives his summarized impressions of his full shell custom sleeves.  There should be absolutely no venting regarding the regular or full shell sleeves since the custom sleeves are silicone molds of your ears and should be pliable enough to move with you when you move around without losing its seal.   I will be updating the review once I receive and wear my full shell custom sleeves in two days. 

Correct.  The full shell sleeves are bigger, but shouldn't stick out any farther out of the ear since the bigger addition covers/envelops the cymba area of the ear. 

I'm looking forward to that - been trying out my 846's today and to be honest, while the sound is excellent and I'm getting a good seal so far I'm not finding any of the supplied tips as comfortable as I'd like - Think I'll try the Comply's while I'm deciding on the Sensaphonics  - I think they'd be great but seeing as how I just dropped over $1100 on these (taxes), I'm not sure about putting out an extra $250 or so. but I probably will at some point. As I mentioned to SomeGuyDude above, I was concerned about blocking the vent on the 846, not venting past the tips

Jun 25, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #26 of 436

Thanks a lot - Actually I was referring to the venting of the 846 - It looks like there is a small vent on the rear of it so I was wondering if covering that with silicone would change the sound

I do not see a vent on the rear of the Shure SE846, regardless, the silicone sleeves do not change the sound, but the superior fit and isolation means the audio is improved... you feel the music even more now.

I'm looking forward to that - been trying out my 846's today and to be honest, while the sound is excellent and I'm getting a good seal so far I'm not finding any of the supplied tips as comfortable as I'd like - Think I'll try the Comply's while I'm deciding on the Sensaphonics  - I think they'd be great but seeing as how I just dropped over $1100 on these (taxes), I'm not sure about putting out an extra $250 or so. but I probably will at some point. As I mentioned to SomeGuyDude above, I was concerned about blocking the vent on the 846, not venting past the tips

If you are unsure about paying the $250 or a little more right now, wait on it... sleep on it, and if you feel you want just a little bit more oomph with your music, and want the utmost in comfort, then eat at home a few times this month instead of eating out and you'll be able to pay for the custom sleeves in no time!

Jun 25, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #27 of 436
  I do not see a vent on the rear of the Shure SE846, regardless, the silicone sleeves do not change the sound, but the superior fit and isolation means the audio is improved... you feel the music even more now.

If you are unsure about paying the $250 or a little more right now, wait on it... sleep on it, and if you feel you want just a little bit more oomph with your music, and want the utmost in comfort, then eat at home a few times this month instead of eating out and you'll be able to pay for the custom sleeves in no time!

Thanks, I looked at it under magnification and what I thought were vents  are on the inside of the shell - looks like clips that fasten it togeher or mounts for some of the internal hardware

Jun 28, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #28 of 436
Jun 28, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #29 of 436
Great addendum to the review. Every possible base covered. SCS vs nozzle condoms. SCS original design, SCS Full Shell. SCS vs SCS Full Shell.....
Any Question? No? Class dismissed.
It might have been nice if we had a few more pictures you were a little miserly with the visuals :biggrin: :wink: :p but I understand if you just don't feel we a worth the effort:wink:

Seriously well done. :fireworks::sparkler:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back