Review: Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves in Crystal Blue for the Shure SE846
Jul 19, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #316 of 436
Thanks for the pics. From what I can make out, your bore holes look wider and straighter (but perhaps a bit longer) than mine. It also looks as though they expand in diameter from the nozzle tip towards the opening. Is that right?

Still, if those holes align well with the nozzle tips, I'm out of ideas. Sorry Kapazza.  Perhaps Sensaphonics will have a suggestion?

Jul 19, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #317 of 436
I've been trying to find a way to better describe what I'm hearing. I came across this reviewer who mentioned some upper frequencies were echoing in his custom IEMs (not Sensaphonics): http://www.head-fi.org/products/future-sonics-ear-monitors-with-13mm-mg6pro-dynamic-drivers/reviews/7160

This matches the tunnel effect I'm describing; only upper frequencies would be able to bounce off tunnel walls. The cymbals sound trashy and harsh because they're bouncing around the bore canal several (or many more) times before they reach my ear drums. Theres a complete loss of the "crispness" of my music when the SCSs are in, which goes back to my original post where I mentioned it sounded like my music was being compressed to a low rate. I'll call Sensaphonics tomorrow and see if there's a fix, but I think if the length/curve of the bore can't be fixed I'll be out of luck. Again, this is most likely due to my ear canal shape and YMMV.

Jul 19, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #318 of 436
Hi Folks,

after a few days of use, here is my thoughts on the custom sleeves:

i do not have any problem sound wise, at the opposite, the CS improved the sound of the SE846, especially the bass
the holes looks OK, and correctly aligned with the IEM
Right ear is super confortable, great sealing, even if i move
Left ear is slightly uncomfortable after a long period, more that 1 hour.

the pain is located in the red circle. Not noticeable when i'm not moving, but if open the mouth or do funny faces, i can feel it.

unfortunately, i cannot send the sleeves back to Sensaphonics, i live in asia...

any idea of how to solve this issue?

Jul 20, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #319 of 436
I've been trying to find a way to better describe what I'm hearing. I came across this reviewer who mentioned some upper frequencies were echoing in his custom IEMs (not Sensaphonics): http://www.head-fi.org/products/future-sonics-ear-monitors-with-13mm-mg6pro-dynamic-drivers/reviews/7160

This matches the tunnel effect I'm describing; only upper frequencies would be able to bounce off tunnel walls. The cymbals sound trashy and harsh because they're bouncing around the bore canal several (or many more) times before they reach my ear drums. Theres a complete loss of the "crispness" of my music when the SCSs are in, which goes back to my original post where I mentioned it sounded like my music was being compressed to a low rate. I'll call Sensaphonics tomorrow and see if there's a fix, but I think if the length/curve of the bore can't be fixed I'll be out of luck. Again, this is most likely due to my ear canal shape and YMMV.

My guess is still that your nozzles are partially blocked and maybe it's just hard for you to see? I get what you're saying about sound reflecting from the tunnel walls, but the silicon material of the SCSs is very similar to that of your ear (and ear canals) and sound is supposed to bounce off all of that!

Otherwise I'm running out of ideas. Maybe different insertion depths are changing the FR slightly?

Jul 20, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #321 of 436
  Hi Folks,

after a few days of use, here is my thoughts on the custom sleeves:

i do not have any problem sound wise, at the opposite, the CS improved the sound of the SE846, especially the bass
the holes looks OK, and correctly aligned with the IEM
Right ear is super confortable, great sealing, even if i move
Left ear is slightly uncomfortable after a long period, more that 1 hour.

the pain is located in the red circle. Not noticeable when i'm not moving, but if open the mouth or do funny faces, i can feel it.

unfortunately, i cannot send the sleeves back to Sensaphonics, i live in asia...

any idea of how to solve this issue?

Sounds like a minor fit issue. I suggest you contact Sensaphonics by email (saveyourears@sensaphonics.com) for advice, or visit the audiologist who took your ear impressions. (I don't work inside the walls at Sensaphonics.)

Aug 13, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #322 of 436
Today I sent the SCSs back to get a wider bore.  I also picked up my musician earplugs.  These things are awesome!  They're so tiny and fit great.  They also have a much wider bore (not that it matters as much with earplugs), so I know my SCSs can be much wider.

Aug 16, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #323 of 436
I have nothing of validity to add here for approx 3 weeks...
popcorn.gif

Aug 16, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #324 of 436
You can give us a day-to-day account of your waiting and how it makes you feel, and what you expect when they finally do arrive.  

Aug 17, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #325 of 436
Something I learned from the audiologist that did my impressions. He primarily works with musicians and we spoke about normal levels of hearing loss with age, audio deficiencies, and EQing to compensate. I had begun to believe that EQing was a carnal sin since joining this forum. That if your gear was "adequate enough" that there was no need to use any outputs on a DAP other than a LO or CO.
What I'm expecting from my SCS's is that my 846's will be delivering the very best sound that they are capable of. I expect that like my eyeglasses, there will be an adjustment period.
I'm having mine done in Crystal Smoke, which should look pretty cool with the carbon fiber splitter and black plugs on my Litz cable.

smile.gif

Aug 17, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #326 of 436
  Something I learned from the audiologist that did my impressions. He primarily works with musicians and we spoke about normal levels of hearing loss with age, audio deficiencies, and EQing to compensate. I had begun to believe that EQing was a carnal sin since joining this forum. That if your gear was "adequate enough" that there was no need to use any outputs on a DAP other than a LO or CO.
What I'm expecting from my SCS's is that my 846's will be delivering the very best sound that they are capable of. I expect that like my eyeglasses, there will be an adjustment period.
I'm having mine done in Crystal Smoke, which should look pretty cool with the carbon fiber splitter and black plugs on my Litz cable.

smile.gif

That's a whole other box of worms that can be debated until the end of time.

Basically, try out what sounds the best to you, and go with that.

Looking forward to reading your impressions when you receive your SCS.  
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 21, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #327 of 436
Hi all, been a long time reappearing from the depths of the internet. Just recently upgraded the SE425 to SE846 and wanted to get that perfect fit to get the most out of the SE846. Have always used Ety foam tips as they are the most comfortable for me since I used the HF5 way back. 

I've read the entire thread here and it has been very helpful in helping me decide to go ahead with the sleeves and I've reached out to Claudia for assistance. My main concern was ensuring the 'perfect' product by using the best impression possible done by a proper audiologist, however because I am in Australia the shipping costs to and from would kill it for me if I had to send it back to Chicago for any refit.
Luckily though for me there is now a Sensaphonics sister office in Melbourne that opened a few weeks ago!! 

The problem I have now is deciding on the colour that I want, I like the idea of clear however because this will be used daily for years to come I didn't want it to discolour. The second preference was the Crystal smoke, though I can't seem to find any detailed photos of it to help with the decision. 

So, does anyone have any photos of the crystal smoke?

Aug 21, 2015 at 5:28 AM Post #328 of 436
Hi all, been a long time reappearing from the depths of the internet. Just recently upgraded the SE425 to SE846 and wanted to get that perfect fit to get the most out of the SE846. Have always used Ety foam tips as they are the most comfortable for me since I used the HF5 way back. 

I've read the entire thread here and it has been very helpful in helping me decide to go ahead with the sleeves and I've reached out to Claudia for assistance. My main concern was ensuring the 'perfect' product by using the best impression possible done by a proper audiologist, however because I am in Australia the shipping costs to and from would kill it for me if I had to send it back to Chicago for any refit.
Luckily though for me there is now a Sensaphonics sister office in Melbourne that opened a few weeks ago!! 

The problem I have now is deciding on the colour that I want, I like the idea of clear however because this will be used daily for years to come I didn't want it to discolour. The second preference was the Crystal smoke, though I can't seem to find any detailed photos of it to help with the decision. 

So, does anyone have any photos of the crystal smoke?

Hi MrDerrick,

It's great that they opened an office in Melbourne, that's fantastic news!

With regards to pictures of the Crystal Smoke color, there is a picture of the Crystal Smoke color in the Ear Impression and Color Choosing Process: section of the review.

Here's one from Sensaphonics as well:

In person the Crystal Smoke color looks slightly less dark than the picture (but still plenty dark), with infused glitter so there is a little bit of sparkle (looks tastefully subtle, though).

Let us know what you decide to do and congratulations in advance!

Aug 21, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #329 of 436
Hi MrDerrick,

It's great that they opened an office in Melbourne, that's fantastic news!

With regards to pictures of the Crystal Smoke color, there is a picture of the Crystal Smoke color in the Ear Impression and Color Choosing Process: section of the review.

Here's one from Sensaphonics as well:

In person the Crystal Smoke color looks slightly less dark than the picture (but still plenty dark), with infused glitter so there is a little bit of sparkle (looks tastefully subtle, though).

Let us know what you decide to do and congratulations in advance!

Cheers for that, I've seen those stock photos however it doesn't give a clear idea of how it looks at different angles. Would ideally liked ones of people wearing them and infront of direct light to see how translucent there are.

I like the internals of the SE846 and if the crystal smoke can still show some of that then I am sold :)

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #330 of 436
I'm "hoping" to have mine in two more weeks, which are being done in Crystal Smoke. I think that the color will be a great accent to the clear shells of the 846's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back