REVIEW : Revisiting the Brainwavz HM5 – A Retrospective (plus bonus look at pad and cup options)
Jan 13, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #16 of 35
Jan 13, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #17 of 35

Nope - why, have you heard something?

Nah, Haven't hear anything myself. I don't want to pick up a new pair of HM5s only to find out a successor will soon be released :p

Edit: I heard on youtube that the XPT 100 rebrand of the HM5s from NVX has considerably less clamping force fwiw. 

Jan 14, 2015 at 6:37 AM Post #18 of 35
Excellent review Brooko, I have these a long side my HD600's!

The HD600 grills look amazing on the HM5! Really eye catching if they were open like the 600's.

My impression definitely mirror yours, I find them a great semi neutral (closed) headphone with nice open mid's and detailed high's.

If only the bass was flat and reached further down but for the money they are great.

Also built like a tank!

Looking forward to your future reviews Brooko!

Jan 14, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #20 of 35
I can't remember the first pair I owned as being as bright. Can't really say if they have changed, or just my memory 
wink.gif

Old version definately wasn't bright. Quite the opposite actually. If you have time, money and interest you could pick up a pair of Digitech pro monitors if you have Jaycar near you. Those are supposedly identical to hm5. Give those a listen and then return them. It would be nice to get a verification that the new version is indeed brighter than the old one.
  Great review @Brooko

If you liked the HM5s you would absolutely love the Takstar Pro 80. They sound very similar in signature, borderline identical from what I recall. Except the Pro 80 being of better comfort (with HM5 pads), less scull crushing, better building quality. Overall a better package than the HM5s. You should check them out!

How long have you had your HM5? Maybe you also have the new version with increased highs? To my ears HM5 and Pro80 sound hadly alike. Both have similar bass, pro80's have better clarity but also emphasized and bit distorted highs... HM5 have subdued high end.  Great headphones both though. I would say that if I were objective HM5 are better. Those are pretty much perfect for the price but Pro80's have issues with the highs. Refined is a kind of useless word but I would say HM5 are more refined than takstars. Still...I prefer Takstars, high end is just too recessed to my tasted on HM5.

Have you heard anything about a HM5 successor is in the works?

HM5 are manufactured by yoga corporation, a taiwanese company. So successor for HM5 is pretty much up to them. However you have some options. Fischer Audio fa-003ti. It's the same headphone with metal hinges and titanium coated drivers. You could also get fischer wood cups for hm5. Supposedly those sound good. If you have the money you can go all in and get kennerton audio magister. It's an expensive version of fa-003 with oak cups and some fine tuning. I think most true successor for hm5 would be yogas anniversary headphones. I know two versions available to public, feenix aria or telefunken audion.

That's a great idea and we need more good budget open headphones!

THere is a open version of hm5. Studiospares and Lindy have those versions. OEM yoga released both closed and open version about the same time I think.

Jan 14, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #21 of 35

Old version definately wasn't bright. Quite the opposite actually. If you have time, money and interest you could pick up a pair of Digitech pro monitors if you have Jaycar near you. Those are supposedly identical to hm5. Give those a listen and then return them. It would be nice to get a verification that the new version is indeed brighter than the old one.
How long have you had your HM5? Maybe you also have the new version with increased highs? To my ears HM5 and Pro80 sound hadly alike. Both have similar bass, pro80's have better clarity but also emphasized and bit distorted highs... HM5 have subdued high end.  Great headphones both though. I would say that if I were objective HM5 are better. Those are pretty much perfect for the price but Pro80's have issues with the highs. Refined is a kind of useless word but I would say HM5 are more refined than takstars. Still...I prefer Takstars, high end is just too recessed to my tasted on HM5.

HM5 are manufactured by yoga corporation, a taiwanese company. So successor for HM5 is pretty much up to them. However you have some options. Fischer Audio fa-003ti. It's the same headphone with metal hinges and titanium coated drivers. You could also get fischer wood cups for hm5. Supposedly those sound good. If you have the money you can go all in and get kennerton audio magister. It's an expensive version of fa-003 with oak cups and some fine tuning. I think most true successor for hm5 would be yogas anniversary headphones. I know two versions available to public, feenix aria or telefunken audion.

THere is a open version of hm5. Studiospares and Lindy have those versions. OEM yoga released both closed and open version about the same time I think.

Thank you for basically confirming what I was suspecting. It makes sense as to why I find the treble subdued whereas most reviews are saying the opposite. I also agree with you on the takstars. I owned both the Takstars and HM5 at same time and ended up returning the Takstars due to the troublesome highs and to a smaller extent the smaller headband. I was willing to put up with the fit but the highs were ruining my listening experience.  

And I had no idea about the whole Yoga thing and details about the Fischer Audio models! Am looking at some videos about the magister and it looks subilme. Very classy but also very expensive :p

Do the FA-003ti sound better than the latest HM5 model? I am looking up all the headphones you mentioned. Thank you so much and nice post!

Jan 14, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #22 of 35

There is a open version of hm5. Studiospares and Lindy have those versions. OEM yoga released both closed and open version about the same time I think.

Thanks!

Those rear cups are exactly what I was thinking.  I'm guessing that Brainwavz should be able to do these as well!

20375_1.jpg

Jan 14, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #23 of 35

I was comparing them to HM5 rebrands "Pro Monitor Headphones" By Jarcar. I just assumed that they will be identical to the HM5s. Maybe there is a little bit of tinkering going on in the dampening to make them sound different.

I also preferred the Pro 80s because the treble was just a tad nicer.

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #24 of 35
I'm looking to order a pair of these HM5's given all the great reviews.  From what I understand the ear pads have been recently redesigned to be thicker yet in this review it appears the HM5's were sent to the reviewer with the older pads.  Not sure though.  The red pads in the review look like new thicker model.  I really like the smaller internal diameter of the red pad but HATE the color red.  My preference is to have the red pads' construction, but in the black color.  Anyone know what these are shipping these with nowadays?

Jan 16, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #26 of 35
I'm looking to order a pair of these HM5's given all the great reviews.  From what I understand the ear pads have been recently redesigned to be thicker yet in this review it appears the HM5's were sent to the reviewer with the older pads.  Not sure though.  The red pads in the review look like new thicker model.  I really like the smaller internal diameter of the red pad but HATE the color red.  My preference is to have the red pads' construction, but in the black color.  Anyone know what these are shipping these with nowadays?

The pads that come with the HM5 are the standard size. You need to buy the others ones separately. Here is some of the range http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-earphones. Maybe the tan ones would suit better if you don't like the red?

Jan 16, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #27 of 35
We have the Lindy versions here, I had a peek at our demo pair and the pads are an inch thick (while not being worn of course). I think they're great, whoever stamps their name on them!

Steve - do Lindy sell the vented rear cup (I posted pic a few posts up the page) separately? I'd be very interested it getting a set of vented cups to try.

Jan 19, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #28 of 35
Hi Sorry this comes after a couple of days, happy Monday!

There's the HF-110 which Lindy do (as in your picture), but these are a different headphone - the HF-100 (or Brainwavs HM5 in other words) are the closed back and HF-110 the open version. I've had a quick check for replaceable earcup backs (hey who knows) but might be in for a long search if my hunch is correct.

At these prices it's less of a problem - why not have both!?! I'm not sure if Brainwavs will release the 'HM6' or whatever - I've searched for 'brainwavz full size' but can find no reference to an open model.

There's also Fischer Audio (FA003 = HM5 = HF-100) so they may have an open version too.

Jan 19, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #29 of 35
Thanks Steve

I've asked Audrey to make an inquiry with "home-base" at Brainwavz to see if they can source the rear enclosures.  They look like Yoga OEM (all same design, different branding) - so I'm hoping it is possible.  Will advise once I get a response :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back