Review: Portable amp roundup! 56 portable amps reviewed and compared - FINAL update 12-20-10 added RSA SR-71B
Jul 17, 2007 at 12:38 PM Post #1,006 of 3,234
Nice to see you finally got an AE-2 to try out. I would agree with almost everything you said about it with the exception of the bass. Lean is not a word I would use to describe it. I personally continue to be impressed with the AE-2's bass, I'll admit to being a bit of a basshead myself and I've been finding the AE-2 + E500 combo very satisfying. It's never overblown but always there in spades when called upon. The bass has very good extension and it's tight, punchy and tuneful which I think is one of the reasons my feet always seem to be tapping when I'm listening.

Based on wakeride74's comments I can't help but wonder if it's a difference based on burn-in?

Jul 17, 2007 at 12:49 PM Post #1,007 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Based on wakeride74's comments I can't help but wonder if it's a difference based on burn-in?

Quite possibly. I was only able to burn it in for 75 hours before doing the review. It's possible it would get even better with more time.

Jul 17, 2007 at 12:51 PM Post #1,008 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awe crap...I like it the otehr way around...well, a little color in the headphones, but moreso in the amp...dammit.

Please do not take offense, but I do find this odd. Headphones are GOING to be colored, no matter what, it's just a question of how. At the same time, it isn't that hard to make an amp that is within +/- 1db of being completely neutral. So having an amp be colored and headphones neutral is really doing it backward, IMO.

Jul 17, 2007 at 1:05 PM Post #1,009 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quite possibly. I was only able to burn it in for 75 hours before doing the review. It's possible it would get even better with more time.

I wonder if that may be at least part of the difference in perception. I seem to remember ASR finding the bass somewhat lean or lightweight initially but then I believe he felt it came around to be very satisfying but, again if I remember correctly, it took upwards of 200 hours. Will you be putting more hours on the AE-2 or does it have to go to it's owner?

Personally I can't attest to what changes occurred during the initial few hundred hours as I was having a few issues with my iPod turning itself off so I had no idea how long the amp was getting played while I was asleep or not around and at the same time I was going back and forth trying to find the best E500 tips for my use and preferences.

Jul 17, 2007 at 1:16 PM Post #1,010 of 3,234
No, I am not comfortable holding on to the AE-2 long enough to put 200 or so hours on it. That just isn't practical for me to do with someone else's amp. Maybe Gizzguy can comment on the bass after he's put 200+ hours on it.

Jul 17, 2007 at 1:22 PM Post #1,011 of 3,234
Quote:

Please do not take offense, but I do find this odd. Headphones are GOING to be colored, no matter what, it's just a question of how. At the same time, it isn't that hard to make an amp that is within +/- 1db of being completely neutral. So having an amp be colored and headphones neutral is really doing it backward, IMO.

Well maybe not reversed completely, but you know, I like how certain amps make headphones have PUNCH and depth. Obviously, that's not a neutral amp if it's contributing to the music that way.

The LaRocco is a perfect example. When I was doing my review, I noticed alot of amps added thier signature (warmth or coldness) but the LaRocco was TRANSPARENT, but it made even anemic headphones have PUNCH. It was singly the only amp that made me go "What? These cans have impact and bass now!). I listened to DT990's on a Singlepower attatched to a Denon TT and it had nowhere near the punch the LaRocco gave. Which is really what I'm looking for. Aggressive, punchy, in your face sound.

Maybe not backwards per say, but I don't want it to be just a volume attenuator...I want it to add to the music.

If the move sounds anything similar to what the LaRocco does in terms of enhancing bass and adding impact like the LaRocco did, I sure I'll be a happy camper, otherwise, I don't think I'll ever be happy unless I own a LaRocco PRII. And even then I dunno what version I listened to because there are so many different versions now...anybody wanna sell thier LaRocco?
biggrin.gif

Jul 17, 2007 at 1:41 PM Post #1,012 of 3,234
That all makes sense, oicdn. Although the PRII adds punch b/c of it's excellent bass boost control - a "planned" form of coloration. I like having a well implemented bass boost like that.

But let's take the Meier MOVE for example. It's slightly warm of neutral, which for most people is better than slightly lean of neutral. But it's not so much that way that it sounds clearly colored, like other amps can. The MOVE's ability to deliver crunchy, deep bass isn't a coloration - it's a LACK of coloration. Many portable amps are "colored" in that they LACK bass weight and depth that should actually be there.

Just a different way of saying the same things, I expect.

Jul 17, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #1,015 of 3,234
Dammit Skylab the more you talk about the Move the more I want to hear one! Must resist....

Jul 17, 2007 at 2:23 PM Post #1,017 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by clc220 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
updating pretty fast lately, now when's misterX's amp going up ?

If you read above, you will see I don't plan to add it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonner1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Leave Skylab alone so he can concentrate on the $100 headphone review (ho-ho).

Yep, no more amps until I am done with headphones
biggrin.gif

Jul 17, 2007 at 2:35 PM Post #1,018 of 3,234
Quote:

That all makes sense, oicdn. Although the PRII adds punch b/c of it's excellent bass boost control - a "planned" form of coloration. I like having a well implemented bass boost like that.

But let's take the Meier MOVE for example. It's slightly warm of neutral, which for most people is better than slightly lean of neutral. But it's not so much that way that it sounds clearly colored, like other amps can. The MOVE's ability to deliver crunchy, deep bass isn't a coloration - it's a LACK of coloration. Many portable amps are "colored" in that they LACK bass weight and depth that should actually be there.

Just a different way of saying the same things, I expect.

Ahh probably saying the same things. But atleast you get what I'm saying, lol.

I think the PRII delivers MASSIVE amounts of bass without even using the bass knob, even on phones that are dead (DT990, K501) in that regard, IMO. The knob is so subtle, I don't think it's needed seeing as how much it gives without it, but it is indeed a nice option to have. I found myself playing with that knob from points of songs simply just to hear how deep it could go.

It's funny cause this amp is rated #3 in my list, but I loved it the most. That damn price is just too much to swallow. That, and the stupid idea of putting the input jack on the back AND a 1/4 jack on the front. But I guess the amp would only be BIGGER if the jacks were on the front. Funny how much that price and ergonomics changed its position in ranking for me. But it is by far, my favorite SOUNDING (and looking) amp, for sure.

But if you're saying the Move has an equally amount of abilty to make me gush like the PRII does, I shouldn't be disappointed.

Jul 17, 2007 at 3:06 PM Post #1,019 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the PRII delivers MASSIVE amounts of bass without even using the bass knob, even on phones that are dead (DT990, K501) in that regard, IMO. The knob is so subtle, I don't think it's needed seeing as how much it gives without it, but it is indeed a nice option to have. ...

But if you're saying the Move has an equally amount of abilty to make me gush like the PRII does, I shouldn't be disappointed.

I felt that without the knob the PRII has less bass weight than any RSA portable, and less than the MOVE, so you should be happy
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 17, 2007 at 3:28 PM Post #1,020 of 3,234
When you say "less bass weight than any of the RSA portables, and less than the move"...what do you mean? It has LESS bass? Now I'm confused (easy thing to do, lol)

Hopefully in either case, bass-head heaven, here I come...well, as close as I can get I guess without owning a PRII, lol.

She wasn't in the mail today
frown.gif
Hopefully tomorrow....my ears will be able to rejoice. I'll just have to fiddle with which mode and gain setting I like....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back