Review: Portable amp roundup! 56 portable amps reviewed and compared - FINAL update 12-20-10 added RSA SR-71B
Jul 14, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #976 of 3,234
Jul 14, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #977 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, and it's excellent:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...20#post2805020

Yes, except it is missing all the amps I'd like to know about.
plainface.gif

Jul 14, 2007 at 5:41 AM Post #978 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly, I would not call it champagne - looks like silver to me. But my wife says I am colorblind
biggrin.gif

Either way, it's a handsome little amp to be sure.

Very pretty amp (lovingly photo-d on lovely/rich/reflective wood).

Somehow I drool over Justin's sexy Custom Copper AE-2. Sigh.

Jul 15, 2007 at 1:33 PM Post #981 of 3,234
Thanks! I hope to complete the AE-2 review today.

Jul 15, 2007 at 2:03 PM Post #983 of 3,234
Your wish is my command! That amp's maker is sending me one to review.

Jul 16, 2007 at 12:20 PM Post #988 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skylab - Will the review of the IBasso T2 be up soon......I see you have one in your sig now.........

VERY soon
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus-DK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how do you compare amps, if you can not A B C D E F ..... them ??

From memory ??

Also I think you schould use portable phones ie IEMs...

I compare based on the amps I do keep, which are enough to do the comparisons, based on careful notes about how those amps compared to others I no longer have, and then from the detailed notes I had when I reviewed each amp. And then finally, yes, from memory, although only in conjunction with the other methods listed above.

Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Skylab! Is the review of the AE-2 at a good point?

VERY soon
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 16, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #990 of 3,234
The following was just added to the review:

Update 7/16/07

> Headamp AE-2

http://www.headamp.com/portable_amps/index.htm

Another head-fier was kind enough to offer to send me his AE-2 to listen to. Like the AE-1, it's incredibly nice to look at - very well built, and really beautiful. Really only the Larocco is as nice looking as the AE-2. Built in rechargeable battery, and has RCA inputs on back in addition to the mini-jack input on the front. I did not have the AE-1 to compare to it directly, and from memory I think it’s an improvement to what was already a very good amp.

Build Quality: A+: Outstanding build quality. Very attractive and solidly built - maybe only exceeded by the PRII.
Treble: A: Smooth, silky, open, clean, and detailed. . Much better than the AE-1 in this regard. On par with the Meier and RSA amps in this regard.
Midrange: A-: Smooth and open sounding. Very open, even, and inviting, never aggressive. Not as lush as the mids were on the AE-1 I’m pretty sure. .
Bass: B+: Tight, well defined, with decent punch. But a little too lean for my tastes. This just isn’t a bass-lover’s amp. The bass that is there is very good, but it lacks enough bass weight and authority IMO.
Neutrality: A-: The above lack of bass weight makes it just short of the best amps here – it’s sometimes just a little bright sounding without the bass foundation. But this is only when directly compared to the Meier or RSA amps.
Soundstaging: A: Excellent – very good, outstanding depth. Very convincing image – excellent specificity. .
Transparency: A-: Clean and smooth. Not *quite* at the same level as the Meier or RSA amps, but very close.

The AE-2 is an excellent sounding amp. It's incredibly well built. It certainly is in that category of amps that produces a "WOW" listening factor. Plenty of gain – drove 250 and 600 ohm headphones without difficulty. You do get a built in rechargeable battery, and a charger, as well as nice looking amp. But it’s more expensive than several amps I think sound a little better. This means you have to really value the way it looks, or prefer an amp that has a littler less bass, to have the AE-2 make sense financially. Otherwise, I’d buy a Xin SuperMicro, Meier Move, Xenos 1HA, or RSA Tomahawk.

> iBasso T2

http://www.ibasso.com/

I was asked by the importer of this amp to review it. So I did. It’s stunningly small, and VERY attractive. The most retail-oriented headphone amp I have seen. It has 2 headphone outs, and a bass boost switch, as well as a sort of a crossfeed switch. Built in rechargeable battery and charger. You get a lot for your money! And it and it’s brother the T1 are s the smallest portable amps around. Perfect mate for a iPod Nano for a super-small, super good portable rig.

Build Quality: B+: Like the T1, small and attractive, and pretty solid for the size. The switches are a little cheesy, though.
Treble: B+: Reasonably clean and detailed, but somewhat rolled off.
Midrange: B: A little cloudy and opaque sounding. Seems like the designer wanted a tube-like sound. A little nasally.
Bass: B+: Upper bass a little forward and deep bass is slightly lacking. Bass weight is very good.
Neutrality: B: Lacking a little in the frequency extremes, and a little goosed in the lower mids/upper bass.
Soundstaging: B+: Decent. Width is very good, depth is decent, image specificity is decent.
Transparency: B: No real grain. But the slightly cloudy mids detract a little.

It seems that iBasso was looking for a different sound than the T1 offered. I no longer have the T1 around, but compared to the amps I do have around, the T2 isn’t really all that neutral sounding. It seems that they wanted to make it sound kind of like a tube amp, much like the C&C XO. This will appeal to lots of people, probably. And I’m sure my ranking is going to rankle some people who do seem to really like the T2’s sound. But it doesn’t really light my fire, I have to confess. I prefer a more neutral sounding amp. It does sound better with headphones that are slightly bright like the AT ES7. And for the size and cost, it’s a truly unique amp that will appeal to lots of people I’m sure.

Conclusions (7/16/07)

OK, so now its now 23 amps! Here is my view on how the amps stacked up. Note that the sum of the "Grades" I give does not always tell the whole story in how I rank them, since the whole is sometimes greater or lesser than the sum of the parts, and I am often forced to split hairs here, since the list has gotten so long.

1. Larocco Audio Pocket Reference II mk 2
1. Meier Audio MOVE
2. RSA SR71
3. RSA The Hornet “M”
4. Xenos 1HA-EPC
5. RSA Tomahawk
6. Meier Audio Porta Corda III
6. Xin SuperMicro IV
7. Headamp AE-2
8. Portaphile V2^2
9. Storm B-4
10. mSeed Spirit
11. iBasso P-1
12. Practical Devices XM4
13. C&C XO
13. iBasso T2
14. Go-Vibe 6
15. Xtra X-1 Pro
16. Xenos 0HA-REP
16. iBasso T1
17. Xtra X-1
18. C&C Box V2
19. Little Dot Micro+

As always, this is JUST MY OPINION, but I hope it has been helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back