Review: Portable amp roundup! 56 portable amps reviewed and compared - FINAL update 12-20-10 added RSA SR-71B
Jul 16, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #993 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.morton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skylab,
did you use your Shure E500 for testing the AE-2?
Is there a sound difference to full sized cans?

Not sure what you mean. I did try the E500, and there is just a little hiss using them with the AE-2. Is that what you meant?

Jul 16, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #995 of 3,234
Quote:

Not sure what you mean. I did try the E500, and there is just a little hiss using them with the AE-2. Is that what you meant?

Yes, a part of it. After some "bad" synergies between some amps and my UE-10 pro IMO a lot of amps seem to overemphazise the bass part. Maybe to compensate for the bass weaknesses in some DAPs, who knows?!

Jul 16, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #997 of 3,234
Very interesting observations Skylab!

When I listened to the AE-2 at the meet it was almost like I listened to 2 different amps. The first AE-2 I listened to was that bronze or rootbeer color and the bass was there but nothing special, vocals were clear and it really just seemed to get out of the way of the music and present it in a very neutral way. The second AE-2 I listened to was black and the bass was more powerful than the Hornet! I a/b'd them a few times with my ES2's going back and forth because I just couldn't believe it. The top end also seemed smoother and more liquid but the mids and vocals sounded about the same. I should have asked Justin about the hours on each one but I heard a major difference between the two.

At any rate I've decided to just wait for Lisa
tongue.gif

Jul 16, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #998 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by JadeEast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Skylab more great reviews.
Have you tried any portables with your Yamaha YH-100s?

So just for yucks I just tried it on the MOVE. It drove them without difficulty. My YH-100's still need modding, but considering that, the combo was pretty good.

Jul 16, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #1,000 of 3,234
My take on the T2 would have been a little higher so I guess I qualify as one who likes their music more musical.
wink.gif

Jul 16, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #1,001 of 3,234
Skylab, recently I had an oportunity to listen to an AE-2, Xenos X1HA-EPC, and Go-Vibe 6 thanks to Asr's generosity. I used my SR-71 as a point of comparison and I prefered the SR71 and the Xenos to the AE-2. Prety much the same way you did. At the time Vorlon1 also listened to them but he prefered the AE-2 to the Xenos.

Now we need to get you to test the Supermicro IV with the 4/11 and 5/30 tweaks which you have not. I am convinced you will bring that little wonder up in your rankings. Yes I am a Supermicro Freak. You know there is a ring to that, I may have to add it to my signature.
biggrin.gif

Jul 16, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #1,002 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very interesting observations Skylab!

When I listened to the AE-2 at the meet it was almost like I listened to 2 different amps. The first AE-2 I listened to was that bronze or rootbeer color and the bass was there but nothing special, vocals were clear and it really just seemed to get out of the way of the music and present it in a very neutral way. The second AE-2 I listened to was black and the bass was more powerful than the Hornet! I a/b'd them a few times with my ES2's going back and forth because I just couldn't believe it. The top end also seemed smoother and more liquid but the mids and vocals sounded about the same. I should have asked Justin about the hours on each one but I heard a major difference between the two.

At any rate I've decided to just wait for Lisa
tongue.gif

Maybe it's like the K340's. There must be "bass heavy" and "bass light" versions!
tongue.gif

Jul 16, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #1,003 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My take on the T2 would have been a little higher so I guess I qualify as one who likes their music more musical.
wink.gif

Yeah, what makes reviewing amps hard is that the sound you get is an amp-headphone synergy (or not), and as such what one person loves will be less that perfect for another.

But my bias has always been clear - I like my headphones to provide the color - I like my amps to be neutral.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skylab, recently I had an oportunity to listen to an AE-2, Xenos X1HA-EPC, and Go-Vibe 6 thanks to Asr's generosity. I used my SR-71 as a point of comparison and I prefered the SR71 and the Xenos to the AE-2. Prety much the same way you did. At the time Vorlon1 also listened to them but he prefered the AE-2 to the Xenos.

Now we need to get you to test the Supermicro IV with the 4/11 and 5/30 tweaks which you have not. I am convinced you will bring that little wonder up in your rankings. Yes I am a Supermicro Freak. You know there is a ring to that, I may have to add it to my signature.
biggrin.gif

Feel free to send it to me any time
biggrin.gif

Jul 16, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #1,004 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, what makes reviewing amps hard is that the sound you get is an amp-headphone synergy (or not), and as such what one person loves will be less that perfect for another.

But my bias has always been clear - I like my headphones to provide the color - I like my amps to be neutral.

Feel free to send it to me any time
biggrin.gif

Touché!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 17, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #1,005 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Awe crap...I like it the otehr way around...well, a little color in the headphones, but moreso in the amp...dammit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back