Review: Portable amp roundup! 56 portable amps reviewed and compared - FINAL update 12-20-10 added RSA SR-71B
Feb 22, 2007 at 1:52 PM Post #227 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by askforwhy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great work, but why not take IEMs in your reviews?

I did listen to each amp with the E500's. But I did not use them as the main review headphones because:

1. I am more familiar with the sound of my full-sized headphones
2. My full size headphones sound better and are more revealing
3. Level-matching with IEMs is impossible, and level-matching is 100% essential to any comparison like this, as little changes in volume can totally skew the impressions.

Feb 23, 2007 at 4:14 AM Post #228 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by vold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
waiting for your review of the C&C box v2!!

I am also eagerly waiting to hear what you think of the C&C amp!

Thanks so much for your hard work!

Feb 23, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #230 of 3,234
I am going to do all of these this weekend. My quick view on the C&C is that it has a robust sound, but is somewhat grainy in the treble. Not a fatal flaw, and a decent amp for the money, but so far, I prefer the slightly less expensive iBasso P1. Just my $.02. More later.

Feb 23, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #231 of 3,234
aaronylee, I'd add some more info of iBasso P1 and C&C box for you as a "preview" of Skylab's full review.
600smile.gif

Soundwise, iBasso P1 sounds great out-of-the-box, smooth and neutral. C&C Box is not as neutral, it has more emphases on lows and highs but it will become more balance and smooth after long hours of burn-in. The C&C Box got functions like bass boost, vocal boost and sound stage boost that are interesting to play with. (I found the sound stage boost particularly useful) Both amps are of good build quality, the C&C Box is handy and small, iBasso P1 is a bit heavy but size still OK. As for battery life, the C&C Box definitely got an upper hand. Last but not least, they both are like a hundred bucks, the iBasso P1 is a little bit cheaper.

Feb 23, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #233 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a reason why the SR71 wasn't included? Are they that similar to the Hornet?

I only got my SR71 recently. Enough has been written about it I didn't feel it was worth adding. Do people think that would be helpful to have on here?

I basically agree with Hon's comments by the way, although I think the iBasso looks better than the C&C Box, for what that's worth...

Feb 23, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #234 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I only got my SR71 recently. Enough has been written about it I didn't feel it was worth adding. Do people think that would be helpful to have on here?

I basically agree with Hon's comments by the way, although I think the iBasso looks better than the C&C Box, for what that's worth...

If you don't mind spending the time, I think it would be worth including the SR-71 since I still see a good number of posts asking how it compares with the Hornet and Tomahawk -- as well as other portables -- and whether or not the SR-71 should be their choice for sonic quality in a portable.

It's "large" compared to the tiny amps available now, but so is the AE-2, and even larger are the MicroAmp and PRII, and though some current amps do some things better, the SR-71 still offers very fine SQ with a few characteristics unique to it, such as great sense of "air", velvety black background, excellent handling of microdynamics and ultra-fine detail/nuance.

Feb 24, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #236 of 3,234
How does the PA2V2 amp compare with the other tested amps reviewed in this thread? Where would it be placed in the overall list?

I am basically after a cheap amp for use with the Senn HD595s for DVD watching and for listening to music. Would the PA2V2 be suitable or would I be better off spending a little bit more on something else?

I like a bit of bass but not totally thumping.

I am getting a bit confused with what to choose to spend my money on!

Feb 24, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #237 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by thetargetarcher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does the PA2V2 amp compare with the other tested amps reviewed in this thread? Where would it be placed in the overall list?

I am basically after a cheap amp for use with the Senn HD595s for DVD watching and for listening to music. Would the PA2V2 be suitable or would I be better off spending a little bit more on something else?

I like a bit of bass but not totally thumping.

I am getting a bit confused with what to choose to spend my money on!

you should start your own thread.

but the C&C box or LDM+ would be good choices for the hd595's

Feb 25, 2007 at 4:16 PM Post #238 of 3,234
The final chapter has been written and added to the review. Here is the new section:

UPDATE 2/25/07:

This is the FINAL chapter in my portable amp odyssey. I have reviewed the following additional amps below: iBasso T1, RSA SR71, Xenos 0HA-REP (the newer version of the 0HA I ordiginally reviewed), the Portaphile V2^2, and the C&C Box. FULL DISCLOSURE: Unlike all the other amps in this review which I bought with my own money, the iBasso T1, the Portaphile, and 0HA-REP were all sent to me by their makers who asked me to review them. I’m not sure any of them will be happy with my comments, but such is life. The SR71 and C&C Box I bought with my own money, like all the prior amps in this review.

A couple more photos:

Getting ready to review!

DSCN0446.jpg

The new suspects:

DSCN0447.jpg

> Portaphile V2^2

http://www.portaphile.com/ordering.html

I was asked to review a fully-burned in Portaphile V2^2 by its maker. So I did.

Build Quality: A-: It’s an attractive, well built amp. I’m not wild about the toggle on/off switch, or the length of the volume knob, but it’s still a solid amp. Slight turn on “click”.
Treble: A-: Smooth, open, clear, and reasonably detailed. But just a touch laid back/soft, and missing the very top-end extension.
Midrange: B+: Slightly dry. Clean, but dry. The RSA TH was notably lusher.
Bass: A: Punchy, deep, powerful. Good definition. A strong suit. A real bass-lover’s amp. Only the Hornet, PRII mk 2, and Xenos 1HA are better.
Neutrality: B+: Decent, but sort of downward-sloping response, which isn’t strictly neutral.
Soundstaging: B+: very good width, fair depth. Not a limitation but not a strength either..
Transparency: B+: No real grain, but just not that clear, open window on the sound that the better amps have. Close, but not quite.

The V2^2 is a competent amp, and it sounds good. But it wasn’t for me as good as either the Headphonia or the Xenos 1HA, which are in its price class. So for me, that makes the Portaphile, which is a basic amp with no real “features”, kind of a tough sell.

> Xenos 0HA-REP

http://www.aptecpro.com/Xenos-Prod/X...ntro-page.html

I was asked by ATP Systems to review the newer 0HA-REP. So I did. It looks the same, but is a different amp internally in many ways I am told, and now has a battery charging feature, a feature that I essentially demand from a portable amp.

Build Quality: B+: No amp made of plastic gets more than a B+ from me, but it’s an attractive, well built amp. Slight turn on “thump”. Hiss becomes noticeable at 12:00 on the volume control – this isn’t a very quiet amp.
Treble: B: Slightly edgy, overemphasized, and “spitty” Somewhat grainy.
Midrange: B+: Decent performance here. Even. Not super engaging, but no real problems.
Bass: A-: Still this amp’s strong suit IMO – punchy, powerful, good definition.
Neutrality: B+: Would be better if the treble were smoother.
Soundstaging: B: Good depth, fair width. Again here, not a limitation but not a strength either.
Transparency: B-: A bit of grain, Sort of opaque sounding.

The 0HA-REP is better than the original 0HA – I was able to compare them directly. And for a $99 amp, it’s good – bettered only by the iBasso P1 in that price class.

> C&C Box V2

(no current website)

This amp has a lot of features – a low frequency boost, a midrange boost, and some sort of soundfield enhancer. The C&C Box can, as a result, be made to have a variety of different sonic signatures. Unfortunately, none of them is really neutral, as we’ll see.

Build Quality: A-: Very nice metal case. The raised LED is a bit too close to the jacks for some plugs. Slight turn on thump. Slight turn on “thump”. Hiss becomes noticeable at 11:00 on the volume control – this isn’t a very quiet amp.
Treble: B-: Grainy and etched. Almost annoying.
Midrange: B-: It just doesn’t sound right – there is a nasally coloration when the “MF” switch is off, and when it’s on, the sound is way too strong in the lower mids. The use of the switch maybe compromised the design.
Bass: A-: A little muddy, but strong and punchy – good bass performance.
Neutrality: B-: None of the settings, including all flat, provided a neutral sound.
Soundstaging: B: Good depth, fair width. Decent performance.
Transparency: B-: It just isn’t very transparent.

The C&C Box simply did not impress me. The ibasso P1 is much better for a little less money, and the Xenos 0HA-REP is better for the same money. Going from the C&C Box directly to the SR71 drove home the huge difference there is in the performance of portable amps. It was startling. Because you can really make the C&C Box have a variety of sounds using its switches, this amp will likely appeal to people who are looking for a certain “sound”. I am just not one of those people.

> iBasso T1

(no current website)

I was asked by the importer of this amp to review it. So I did. It’s stunningly small, and VERY attractive. The most retail-oriented headphone amp I have seen. It has 2 headphone outs, and a nice bass boost switch.

Build Quality: B+: Tiny. Pretty. Solid for the size. The switches are a little cheesy, though..
Treble: B+: Pretty amazingly clean. I was surprised. Not the most extended, but enjoyable.
Midrange: B+: Again, decent but not exceptional performance, but no real “problems”.
Bass: B+: Not the world’s most defined bass, but enjoyable.
Neutrality: A-: Pretty even sound. Remarkably so, actually.
Soundstaging: B: Just OK here..
Transparency: B+: No real grain. Surprisingly open.

The iBasso T1 sounds incredible for the size – it’s smaller even than the RSA Tomahawk. And regardless of size, it sounds good for the money, although it’s been selling on EBay for the same price as the same company’s own P1, which is the better sounding amp. So you do give up some sound for packaging. Still, a nice little amp

> Ray Samuels Audio SR71

http://raysamuelsaudio.com/index2.html

I had always been interested in this amp, so I finally broke down and bought one. I am glad I did. I don’t miss my Hornet anymore.

Build Quality: A: The best there is, physically. The Larocco PRII mk 2 may be a tiny bit prettier, but the SR71 is better built, and very attractive. It is slightly noisier than the Hornet, however – probably due to more gain. Also has a slight turn on thump, which the other RSA amps didn’t.
Treble: A: Smooth, extended, open, clean, and detailed. Truly excellent.
Midrange: A: Smooth and open sounding. Very open, even, and inviting, never aggressive. No glare at all – the Hornet had just a touch of upper midrange glare, the SR71 does not, making it the better amp in the mids IMO.
Bass: A-: Defined, full, and fairly robust, but slightly less of it than I’d ideally like, esp. versus the PRII mk 2 and the Xenos 1HA-EPC. But just a slight bit less.
Neutrality: A-: terrifically neutral except missing that one tiny bit of bass, and many people may actually prefer this bass balance.
Soundstaging: A: Great depth, excellent. Very convincing imaging – excellent performance here..
Transparency: A: Wide open, clear, engaging sound.

The RSA SR71 immediately impresses with that “WOW” factor. It’s a fantastic amp. It’s kind of big, and I wish it had a batter charger. But in comparing, it clearly betters the Tomahawk. I wish I still had the Hornet to compare directly, but if memory serves me, the SR71 is a tiny bit better everywhere other than the bass, and likely just a little better overall.

SO: It’s now 15 amps! What a project. I am DONE. Time to enjoy now. But here is my view on how the amps stacked up.

1.Larocco Audio Pocket Reference II mk 2
2.RSA SR71
3.RSA The Hornet “M”
4. Xenos 1HA-EPC
5.RSA Tomahawk
6.Headphonia
7. Headamp AE-1
8.Portaphile V2^2
9.iBasso P-1
10.Practical Devices XM4
11.Xenos 0HA-REP
12.iBasso T1
12. Xtra X-1
13.Go-Vibe V5
14.C&C Box V2
15.Little Dot Micro+

As before, this is JUST MY OPINION, but I hope it has been helpful.

Feb 25, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #239 of 3,234
applaus.gif

Feb 25, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #240 of 3,234
Very well done!

Hmm... SR71 #2; Hornet "M" #3...... huh? Well even so, I am going to resist the upgraditis-urge
evil_smiley.gif
and take the high road!
580smile.gif
(kidding!) I am extremely happy with my current setup!!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back