Review: Portable amp roundup! 56 portable amps reviewed and compared - FINAL update 12-20-10 added RSA SR-71B
Feb 21, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #211 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I get out of some "issues" I will get one and will gladly send it your way for a week. But it has to come back to me.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Thanks, I may take you up on that. It would be nice to have a Xin amp on this review.

Feb 21, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #212 of 3,234
Quote:

When I get out of some "issues" I will get one and will gladly send it your way for a week. But it has to come back to me.
very_evil_smiley.gif

What opamps are you using? I've compared the Macro IV to the Hornet and find the Hornet superior in almost every way. I'm waiting on some opamps so this may change but I don't see it going from night to day. I've also compared the PRII with the OPA627, AD744 and AD8397 and still found the Hornet superior; only with the AD8397 did the PRII come close and even then the Hornet still had an edge when it came to imaging.

Feb 21, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #213 of 3,234
I also have the following amps in house which I plan to add to the review - Portaphile V2.2, Xenos OHA-REP, C&C Box V2.

Feb 21, 2007 at 1:08 AM Post #214 of 3,234
isint the battery life of the LaRocco really bad?

from what I read from your review, I'm still favoring the headphonia for the features - USB DAC, Crossfeed, gain and impedance matching, a Class-A mode, battery charger which makes it a crazy value. The only thing thats missing is op-amp changing and maybe a bass boost button.

Feb 21, 2007 at 1:14 AM Post #215 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
isint the battery life of the LaRocco really bad?

Compared to what? It's pretty comparable to most of the amps in this survey, other than the Tomahawk.

Feb 21, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #216 of 3,234
mrarroyo

Skylab was good for it when I sent him my AE-1. I got mine back in short order.

Quote:

very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 21, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #217 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Compared to what? It's pretty comparable to most of the amps in this survey, other than the Tomahawk.

ooh ok, I seemed to have read somewhere that the battery life was really short. Probably my memory is crappy.

Question: how did the class A amplifier thing change the sound of the headphonia?

Feb 21, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #218 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question: how did the class A amplifier thing change the sound of the headphonia?

It made the amp more transparent sounding, and by a decent margin. It's actually one of the most attractive features of the amp. Since I use a rechargeable battery, I am not concerned about huge battery time - much more interested in the better sound.

Feb 21, 2007 at 2:05 AM Post #219 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It made the amp more transparent sounding, and by a decent margin. It's actually one of the most attractive features of the amp. Since I use a rechargeable battery, I am not concerned about huge battery time - much more interested in the better sound.

good to hear, i definitely need to hear it!

Feb 21, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #220 of 3,234
Skylab, I know you had (even if not for long) an IBasso T1... any chance we'll get some more detailed thoughts or a write up of it?

thanks!
your comparison is pretty awesome... (I've read every post in the thread over the past few weeks!)

Feb 21, 2007 at 4:10 AM Post #221 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by thekid22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skylab, I know you had (even if not for long) an IBasso T1... any chance we'll get some more detailed thoughts or a write up of it?

thanks!
your comparison is pretty awesome... (I've read every post in the thread over the past few weeks!)

Yeah, I even I would be interested to see how the mini amp compares to the rest of them. There seems to be no other detailed review for the ibasso T1

Feb 21, 2007 at 2:01 PM Post #224 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by thekid22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

thanks!

Yes, I listened to and made notes on the T1, I will add it along with the others in the next few days, (I hope...)

Feb 21, 2007 at 3:55 PM Post #225 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Extension issues aside, the AE-1 is really a fantastic amp, and listening to it now just makes me more and more anxious for the AE-2. ... If the AE-2 retains this while fixing the extension, OMG it'll be the next portable amp killer!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Headamp is shipping the AE-2 now. I just spoke with Justin this morning and he will be shipping my AE-2 in about a week. He told me that the AE-2 includes significant changes to the AE-1 including a new circuit, 3 times more output but battery life is reduced to 30-40 hrs, 3 way gain switch, laser etching, and amp is available in silver as well as black now. The new circuit and higher output should significantly improve the sound. I'm willing to sacrifice some battery life (still more than enough for me) for improved sound. This should be a very nice portable amp with a lot of versatility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back