Review: Portable amp roundup! 56 portable amps reviewed and compared - FINAL update 12-20-10 added RSA SR-71B
Feb 25, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #241 of 3,234
Excellent update. Much thanks, Skylab!

(And nice to see those Canadian dudes - Xenos 1HA-EPC - right up there, tops in
basshead.gif
and competing only with Headophonia for best bang for the buck.)

Feb 25, 2007 at 5:38 PM Post #242 of 3,234
Quote:

> Little Dot Micro+

Info: http://www.little-tube.com/

This is the second least expensive amp in the group, and for the $60 price has a built in Li-Ion battery and comes with a charger! Quite the bargain. No other features. Unfortunately, it’s the worst sounding and noisiest amp of the bunch.

Build Quality: B+: Nice metal case, but the volume knob is cheesy, and the jacks are a little tough to jet plugs in and out of for some non-obvious reason. There is no real turn-on thump, but the volume control makes noise when adjusted, and the amp in general is noisy. There is an audibly hiss at all levels that increases with volume, and at the top of the range (which admittedly is unlikely to be used) there is a high-pitched whine that’s audible..
Treble: B-: grainy and veiled compared to the better amps here, lacks air and extension – not too transparent.
Midrange: B+: generally smooth sound here, pleasant presentation, without the last word in cleanliness or openness.
Bass: B: decent impact and quantity, but loose and lacking definition and depth.
Neutrality: B: not extended, slightly spitty lower treble, slightly dark mids, missing deep bass.
Soundstaging: B-: closed-in sounding – the most of any of the amps here.
Transparency: B-: colored enough that it completely lacks that feeling of having an open window to the music. There is a serious veil in between the listener and the music.

The issue with the LDM+ is that the even less expensive Xenos 0HA blows it away, so I can’t even say “sounds good for the money”. I find the LDM+ impossible to recommend even at the price.

All I've got to say is that you must have a defective unit.

My LDM+ is dead silent at ALL volumes. There's no hiss, no buzz, no nothing. And there's only the very slightest bit of hiss with the PSU plugged in. Even then, it's only audible towards the highest point on the volume. The treble might be the slightest bit veiled, but still plenty extended, and not that grainy. The midrange sounds fine, as does the bass quantity. I have to admit though, the bass is a little soft around the edges, but not much.

I found the LDM+ to be a heck of a lot better than either the LD II++ or stock Xiang Sheng 708B in all respects. In fact, the only real faults with it is 1) The compressed soundstage, and 2) The stiff volume knob is a PITA to use with the input cable being so darn close.

In my own review, I stated that the LDM+ was mostly nothing more than "wire with gain", and I still say so today.

With that said, all of my testing was done with my well broken-in AKG K701's which are known for being very nutral and natural sounding. Unfortunately, Byers are known for being somewhat colored.

Feb 25, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #243 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chops /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All I've got to say is that you must have a defective unit.

My LDM+ is dead silent at ALL volumes. There's no hiss, no buzz, no nothing. And there's only the very slightest bit of hiss with the PSU plugged in. Even then, it's only audible towards the highest point on the volume. The treble might be the slightest bit veiled, but still plenty extended, and not that grainy. The midrange sounds fine, as does the bass quantity. I have to admit though, the bass is a little soft around the edges, but not much.

I found the LDM+ to be a heck of a lot better than either the LD II++ or stock Xiang Sheng 708B in all respects. In fact, the only real faults with it is 1) The compressed soundstage, and 2) The stiff volume knob is a PITA to use with the input cable being so darn close.

In my own review, I stated that the LDM+ was mostly nothing more than "wire with gain", and I still say so today.

With that said, all of my testing was done with my well broken-in AKG K701's which are known for being very nutral and natural sounding. Unfortunately, Byers are known for being somewhat colored.

Your Ldm+ is dead silent because you are using it with k701. It's actually very noisy with lower impedance headphones, especially with iems.

Feb 25, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #244 of 3,234
I note from the FS thread that the C&C Box was burn in for 100 hours. For some reasons (which I didn't spend time to investigate) the C&C Box does require a bit more time. Mine was burn in continously for over 360 hours (15 days) and things do smooth and open up and it was quite pleasant now.

I do agree its sonic character is a bit "artificial" or "coloured" but it is in my opinion, a more accomplished amp that you may have suggested.

FWIW, I was using a GS1000 for burning it in using 320kbps AAC files played from an iPod.

While I would concur the LaRocco Pocket Reference II is one of the best sounding amp, I wonder where the Xin's SuperMacro, Mini and Micro will slot in the ladder ? Any suggestions ? I have a SMIV and found it better than the PRII in some areas, but not as impressive when it comes to texture, warmth. My previous comparision between the SMIIIV6 against a Hornet both owned by me did indicated the SMIIIV6 has a upper hand. Well this is just my personal judgement though.

F. Lo

Feb 25, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #245 of 3,234
I had long sold my Xin SuperMacro IV before I started this review. But I will say that based on memory, it would rank below the Hornet. Impossibe to say how it would compare to the Xenos 1HA-EPS, since I never had them at the same time.

Let me also say, regarding break in, it's possible both the Portaphile and C&C Box could have benefitted from even more than the 100 hours they got. But quite frankly, I don't have time to break in amps for that long, and in my own use, I don't do that either. ALL amps improve with break in, but rarely in my experience do they change radically after 100 hours.

And with regard to the LDM+, I did not try them with K701's. But they sure hissed with Senn HD25-1's, which are a more likely pairing than the K701. IEMs are even more likely, and, as such, this may be an issue for some users.

Also, folks, these are my opinions. Just because I did or didn't like your favorite amp, that doesn't make me right or wrong, nor does it make you right or wrong. It's how I heard it, in a fairly controlled test. Still, YMMV.

Feb 25, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #246 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iced /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your Ldm+ is dead silent because you are using it with k701. It's actually very noisy with lower impedance headphones, especially with iems.

I've tried it with my Sony MDR-7506's, a cheapie pair of Sony IEM's that came with my mp3 cell phone, and my brother's Grado SR-325i's. And my hearing is just fine, being able to clearly hear up to 22kHz.

Not with any of these cans do I detect any hiss or buzz, hence the reason for saying what I said.

Feb 25, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #247 of 3,234
yeah, I've recently picked up a few different portable amps to listen to them myself and I have to agree that the C&C Box has improved w/ break in the most. When i first got it I couldn't see what all the fuss was about, but I'm going on 60 hours now and it's really opened up.

Feb 25, 2007 at 8:08 PM Post #248 of 3,234
I have a small correction to make...

I am trying those cheap Sony IEMs again. This time around, I do in fact hear the hiss, and the hiss gets worse when a source is connected (headphone out of my Audigy2 card). With nothing connected, and with the volume turned up past 2 o'clock, this hiss goes away.

So I admit that the LDM+ DOES have hiss, detectable with IEMs, even super cheap ones.

On a side note, I am starting to see what others go on about with IEMs! If the darn cable on these Sony's were longer than 6", I'd listen to them longer. It's hard to type and hold the LDM+ up to my chin at the same time.
tongue.gif

Darn it, now I'm gonna have to do some shopping around for some IEMs!
blink.gif

Feb 25, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #250 of 3,234
Of all the things I've read the only thing I'd like to argue with is this ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am DONE.

Wish we could convince you to keep going!!
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the review. It's been a very fun read for me.

Feb 25, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #251 of 3,234
Thanks Ken36 and pretzelb, I really appreciate that. Your comments are what make me enjoy the work that it takes to do these properly.

But I think my next gig may be a comparative review of some home tube amps

Feb 25, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #254 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Let me also say, regarding break in, it's possible both the Portaphile and C&C Box could have benefitted from even more than the 100 hours they got. But quite frankly, I don't have time to break in amps for that long, and in my own use, I don't do that either. ALL amps improve with break in, but rarely in my experience do they change radically after 100 hours....

I hear you. However the Portaphile if it has the Blackgates needs at least 300 to 400 hours of burn in. I have the Hornet and the Tomahawk. I can tell you that my Hornet changed drastically from 100 to 400 hours. The Tomahawk is even more of a puzzle it changed a bit from 100 to 400 hours, however from 400 to 600 it had a substantial change to now it sounds very close to the Hornet. I am going to burn it in for another 200 hours and see what happens.

I certainly hope it is not all placebo!
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 26, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #255 of 3,234
Cesar from portaphile did say that the Black Gates need a long time to break in. So I am keeping it a while, and I will report back on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back