Review: Portable amp roundup! 56 portable amps reviewed and compared - FINAL update 12-20-10 added RSA SR-71B
Feb 28, 2007 at 2:07 PM Post #271 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by muzikk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent review Skylab keep it coming.
I just have one question. How would you compare the dac of the headphonia to the aria? Or to a computer soundcard that you have experience with.
I am interested in the headphonia but it is a slightly out of my budget if you have to consider buying batteries and power supply since they are not included. Maybe the dac will make it quite a deal. Cheers.

I listened to the DAC for a bit, but not extensively. It performed pretty well though - I'd say it's just a whisker under the Aria's DAC, although I did not find the DAC in the Aria to be it's strong suit - good but not great (as opposed to the DAC in Meier's more expensive Opera, which is terrific).

But again, for the money - awesome.

Feb 28, 2007 at 2:25 PM Post #272 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listened to the DAC for a bit, but not extensively. It performed pretty well though - I'd say it's just a whisker under the Aria's DAC, although I did not find the DAC in the Aria to be it's strong suit - good but not great (as opposed to the DAC in Meier's more expensive Opera, which is terrific).

But again, for the money - awesome.

Man, now I want to get the Opera... I was planning on the Aria. That's going to really hurt the wallet.
frown.gif

Feb 28, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #273 of 3,234
I am thinking of using it as portable dac when I am travelling with my laptop, there aren't too many options besides the Porta corda and the Bithead. (BTW you should add those to your review, GO Skylab
wink.gif
)

But can you confirm that it has a decent optical line out? I mean a worthy line out to connect to a more expensive dac for home use. That will be a weird setup though,

laptop -> headphonia -> external dac -> back to headphonia for amplication -> finally headphones

I wonder if it effects the sound quality having all the connections going in and out on a small amp.

Mar 13, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #276 of 3,234
This is such a value to read. Thanks. My vote for sticky.

...but what happened to the pix? and can we have a pic or two of the second group?

Mar 13, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #277 of 3,234
3X sticky.

I very often come back to see the new post of this thread from time to time.

Mar 13, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #278 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is such a value to read. Thanks. My vote for sticky.

...but what happened to the pix? and can we have a pic or two of the second group?

Thanks for your nice comments. The pictures are there - maybe when you looked there was a problem with photobucket where they are hosted. But they are there.

Mar 13, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #279 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your nice comments. The pictures are there - maybe when you looked there was a problem with photobucket where they are hosted. But they are there.

Gak! Dern corporate firewalls!! Second set there too? Will have another look when home.

Bet that's it.

Thanks!!

Mar 13, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #281 of 3,234
(sticky) I agree as a total newbie this post has saved me asking numerous annoying questions.

Skylab how do your top 5 portable amps compare to home amps around the same price? I like the idea of the portability of some of the amps but would only need to be portable around 20% of the time. [if this has already be done please could someone point me in the right direction]

Rig = ipod 4G 20gb, Grado SR80, Senn HD 650 (when they arrive)
Next purchase Westone UM3 (when i sell one of my kidneys)

Mar 14, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #282 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by crocandy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skylab how do your top 5 portable amps compare to home amps around the same price? I like the idea of the portability of some of the amps but would only need to be portable around 20% of the time. [if this has already be done please could someone point me in the right direction]

Well, there is this thread http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=229399 , although this does not represent my complete thinking on the subject. It's complex. But for the money, I think the Xenos is a freat place to start, given what you said about how you would use it.

Mar 14, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #285 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ymer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice thread!

Say, how would a Gilmore Lite or Headfive fare against the top 5 portable amps in this round-up?

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

The Headfive, when I had it, was competitive with the top 5 amps in the survey, even though it was cheaper than all of them except the Xenos. It has a little warmer sonic signature than all of them except the Xenos, which means it would mate better with some headphones than some of these amps. I also felt the Headfive has slightly superior imaging to all of these amps, but that is going from memory since I no longer have it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back