Review: Portable amp roundup! 56 portable amps reviewed and compared - FINAL update 12-20-10 added RSA SR-71B
Feb 7, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #196 of 3,234
That's a gain switch on the back of that PR II. Down should be low gain, and up should be high or regular gain. And yes, the PR II with AD744 in output bypass mode does produce more hiss than any other op-amps I tried with it, doubt if even a low gain setting could improve that.

Feb 9, 2007 at 11:03 AM Post #197 of 3,234
I have a very simple question concerning the Hornet: are both the sockets 1/4 inch or 1/8 inch? From all the photos I've seen I think its 1/4' but I keep thinking to myself its portable so it must have 1/8' sockets
blink.gif

Feb 9, 2007 at 3:22 PM Post #200 of 3,234
Hi Sky,
Can you clarify the "wow factor" a bit? Is this a description of the dynamic sound of one amp vs. another?

Feb 9, 2007 at 3:33 PM Post #201 of 3,234
Hey Sky....great review! I've referred back to it several times now.

Quick question...have you tried swapping the opamp in the PD XM4? I've been exchanging emails with the Ebay seller and have been told that an AD8620 opamp mounted on a so8-dip adapter would probably "not fit".
confused.gif

Thanks!

Feb 9, 2007 at 3:51 PM Post #202 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonner1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Sky,
Can you clarify the "wow factor" a bit? Is this a description of the dynamic sound of one amp vs. another?

For me, it's simply the goose bump test - when I listen to music to a given amp, do I get that "WOW this sounds good!" feeling, or does the amp have too many compromises/limitations for me to get that feeling.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Sky....great review! I've referred back to it several times now.

Quick question...have you tried swapping the opamp in the PD XM4? I've been exchanging emails with the Ebay seller and have been told that an AD8620 opamp mounted on a so8-dip adapter would probably "not fit".
confused.gif

Thanks!

Thanks for the kind words. As mentioned in the review, I don;t op-amp roll, and so all my comments refer to the op-amps as supplied by the manufacturer.

Feb 15, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #204 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a great thread, Skylab. I can't wait to hear your views of the Lorocco Diablo when you get it. It looks rather interesting...

I assume that someday I will actually get the Diablo. I do plan to spend some quality time with the Larocco PRII mk2 version that I just got this week, and will report on that.

Feb 15, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #205 of 3,234
Ah, so I that's not the Larocco that you reviewed. I see now that that was the Audio Pocket Reference II. The Mk2 is assumedly an upgrade but no smaller. Look forward to hearing how it has changed.

Feb 20, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #206 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, so I that's not the Larocco that you reviewed. I see now that that was the Audio Pocket Reference II. The Mk2 is assumedly an upgrade but no smaller. Look forward to hearing how it has changed.

I added the following note to the original review today:

**** UPDATE 2/20/07: I got my PRII mk 2 last week. It was a 3 month wait, and was kind of angst-ridden, but I have it. And it is awesome, no doubt about it. While I do not have the original PRII to compare it to, it easily betters every portable amp I currently have. There is no doubt that the PRII mk 2 is still the king of the hill, as far as I am concerned. If anything, I'd upgrade the soundstaging to an A, and also note that in low gain mode only my E500's hiss. The PRII is still not a good choice for IEM users. But otherwise - it's the best portable amp I have ever heard. Larocco Audio can be frustrating to deal with, but this amp is great.

Feb 20, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #207 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I added the following note to the original review today:

**** UPDATE 2/20/07: I got my PRII mk 2 last week. It was a 3 month wait, and was kind of angst-ridden, but I have it. And it is awesome, no doubt about it. While I do not have the original PRII to compare it to, it easily betters every portable amp I currently have. There is no doubt that the PRII mk 2 is still the king of the hill, as far as I am concerned. If anything, I'd upgrade the soundstaging to an A, and also note that in low gain mode only my E500's hiss. The PRII is still not a good choice for IEM users. But otherwise - it's the best portable amp I have ever heard. Larocco Audio can be frustrating to deal with, but this amp is great.

Vorlon1 has the 1st gen of the LaRocco PRII, he had them lower the gain and added the AD744 op-amp. I believe it is a killer amp, and IMO only one portable bested it. Yes the Supermicro IV.

Feb 20, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #208 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vorlon1 has the 1st gen of the LaRocco PRII, he had them lower the gain and added the AD744 op-amp. I believe it is a killer amp, and IMO only one portable bested it. Yes the Supermicro IV.

Faaaaaaaaanboi!
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
tongue.gif

(kiddin)..

Feb 21, 2007 at 12:04 AM Post #209 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would love to hear a Supermicro IV. I have no intention of ever buying one, and I don't really miss my Supermacro IV, which I felt was inferior to the PRII. But I'd love to listen to the SupermicroIV.

Feb 21, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #210 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would love to hear a Supermicro IV. I have no intention of ever buying one, and I don't really miss my Supermacro IV, which I felt was inferior to the PRII. But I'd love to listen to the SupermicroIV.

When I get out of some "issues" I will get one and will gladly send it your way for a week. But it has to come back to me.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back