Review: Portable amp roundup! 56 portable amps reviewed and compared - FINAL update 12-20-10 added RSA SR-71B
Feb 2, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #166 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skylab,
I know this is apples and oranges but I have the Hornet and wanted to know if I would gain anything sonically if I bought Xcan V3? I am very new to all of this and would like to know some of your thoughts?

The most difference would be on sonic signature, Xcan V3 has a brighter tube sound. Like most other amp, it would not suitable for everyone and how it match the characteristics of the headphone with your favorite. Personally, I like warmer classical tube sound.

Feb 2, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #167 of 3,234
I have had had both amps (X Can V3 and The Hornet M). The X Can I thought was a better overall amp, it allowed me to look a little more itno the music - maybe it had a little more "blackness". But it is not portable and that portability to me is worth in minute amount of sound quality that you might gain from the X Can.

Feb 2, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #168 of 3,234
"Listening was done with the levels matched to within 1db using a RS SPL meter, so that the listening volume level was identical with each amp. Source was a RedWineAudio iMod iPod, connected with an RnB Audio interconnect"

Sorry if someone has already asked this, but how did you hook up the RS meter to your headphones?

I'm actually looking for a way to do this with my Ety ER-4P/S I.E.M.'s but so far it seems like an impossible idea...

Feb 2, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #169 of 3,234
Just saw this thread. Great review.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #170 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by tracyrick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Listening was done with the levels matched to within 1db using a RS SPL meter, so that the listening volume level was identical with each amp. Source was a RedWineAudio iMod iPod, connected with an RnB Audio interconnect"

Sorry if someone has already asked this, but how did you hook up the RS meter to your headphones?

I'm actually looking for a way to do this with my Ety ER-4P/S I.E.M.'s but so far it seems like an impossible idea...

No way I know of to do this with IEM's. Here is how to do it with full-sized cans:

splmeterwithDT770.jpg

Feb 3, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #171 of 3,234
Xenos 1HA-EPC added today. iBasso P1 and Headamp AE1 will be added tomorrow.

Feb 3, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #172 of 3,234
Oh man... Do I REALLY want to read this?!?!?! I mean, I already made the switch Skylab! C'mon!!
frown.gif

*ahem* that was just wrong, and you know what I mean...
wink.gif
BTW, the Xenos amps are now 249.99 for the 1HA-EPC and 199.99 for the EPT... Oh, add 15.00 for shipping! Make that 29.18 for 3-5 day Xpresspost!

but, anyway, based on those stats doesn't your ranking shift? And if not, then why not????

Feb 3, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #173 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh man... Do I REALLY want to read this?!?!?! I mean, I already made the switch Skylab! C'mon!!
frown.gif

*ahem* that was just wrong, and you know what I mean...
wink.gif
BTW, the Xenos amps are now 249.99 for the 1HA-EPC and 199.99 for the EPT... Oh, add 15.00 for shipping! Make that 29.18 for 3-5 day Xpresspost!

but, anyway, based on those stats doesn't your ranking shift? And if not, then why not????

No, my ranking doesn't change. The TH and the 1HA are neck and neck, but in the end, the TH wins by a hair. But it's close, and they are certainly very different beasts. Both amps are awesome.

Feb 3, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #174 of 3,234
*ahem* *cough* *cough*, and the Hornet??????????????????

The TH is EXTREMELY small compared to the Xenos.. for the size and weight it should be better than a hair close,no?

Ok, I am officially done with this site... I can't take it anymore! My wallet is screamin'...my wife is ready to beat me down again!! This isn't right! How did I come across this site anway?!!??
evil_smiley.gif
*sigh*

Feb 3, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #175 of 3,234
Review fully updated with Xenos 1HA, Headamp AE-1, and iBasso P1.

Feb 3, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #176 of 3,234
Now if we can just get a moderator to update the title to the total number of amps reviewed to twelve.

Great review Skylab....

Now we need Justin to send you an AE-2 to include in this review.

The AE-1 has a 150 hour rechargeable battery life which is a deal maker for me.

Skylab, is it possible to include a listing/table for each with their projected battery life under best practices?

In your conclusion you state that the Headphonia got to a certain performance point of enjoyment. You also stated in the AE-1 write-up that it was comparable to the Headphonia. Should the conclusion either add the AE-1 or delete the Headphonia unit?

Note:

(in conclusion)--"a real threshold of performance that made some of the amps sound so good that I was often awed by the sound, where as some simply did not get there. The two RSA amps, the Headphonia, and the Lorocco got to this point for me, but none of the others did. Is this a function of price? I’m not sure, since a Headphonia without all the features I included would be just $130. It’s multifactorial I am sure. "

(in AE-1 write-up)--"maybe on par with the Headphonia sonically,"

Feb 3, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #177 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In your conclusion you state that the Headphonia got to a certain performance point of enjoyment. You also stated in the AE-1 write-up that it was comparable to the Headphonia. Should the conclusion either add the AE-1 or delete the Headphonia unit?

Note:

(in conclusion)--"a real threshold of performance that made some of the amps sound so good that I was often awed by the sound, where as some simply did not get there. The two RSA amps, the Headphonia, and the Lorocco got to this point for me, but none of the others did. Is this a function of price? I’m not sure, since a Headphonia without all the features I included would be just $130. It’s multifactorial I am sure. "

(in AE-1 write-up)--"maybe on par with the Headphonia sonically,"

Slwiser, thanks so much for the loan of the AE-1. You're correct that an update conclusion would INCLUDE the AE-1 (and the Xenos 1HA) in that group of amps that gave me that wow factor. I haven't gone back to edit the original text. But the AE-1 and the 1HA join the RSA amps, the Headphonia, and the Larocco as the amps that never felt "in the way", but rather made me REALLY fired up to listen to music.

Feb 4, 2007 at 3:06 AM Post #178 of 3,234
Thanks for adding the AE-1 Skylab, much appreciated. Now I have a frame of reference as to where the others sit.
smily_headphones1.gif

I fully agree with the comments on the AE-1 too. Incidentally, I'm listening to it right now. If my Portaphile V2^2 Maxxed mini-review made it look bad, that was unintentional, I didn't mean to say the AE-1 was a bad amp, just not quite at the level of the V2^2 in terms of extension especially. Extension issues aside, the AE-1 is really a fantastic amp, and listening to it now just makes me more and more anxious for the AE-2. For the first time I'm finally using the AE-1 with my highest-end IC, Signal Cable's Silver Resolution Analog (it's usually chained to my system via the loop outs on the other amps and the IC going into it is usually a silver-core, copper-plated-plug RCA/mini), and the sound I'm hearing is just so open and expansive. I feel the amp's greatest strength is the soundstage & imaging - that was my original initial impression when I first got it, and that's what I'm still hearing now. The imaging is so wide and deep, wow! If the AE-2 retains this while fixing the extension, OMG it'll be the next portable amp killer!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 4, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #180 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Skylab...didn't you just pick up a C&C Box amp? How does it stack up against the other amps you reviewed/tested?

I ordered one in the group buy, but it hasn't arrived yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back