Review: Portable amp roundup! 56 portable amps reviewed and compared - FINAL update 12-20-10 added RSA SR-71B
Jan 26, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #151 of 3,234
i think i will spring for one of these. if only they were a little more attractive
redface.gif

Jan 26, 2007 at 1:43 PM Post #152 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lectorcito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skylab, have you ever listened to the Total BitHead? I am curious as to how it would rank in your list.

My first portable amp was a Total Airhead. But that was over 2 years ago. I have not heard the newer version. So it's very hard to say where it would rank since I haven't heard it in such a long time.

w/r/t the Xenos, I will try to get to the full review on it next week.

Jan 27, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #154 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by vo328 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the review, Skylab! Have you ever listened to the Headroom Micro amp? If so, any thoughts on how it compared with the amps you reviewed?

x2

by the way great review we need more of these types of reviews. I would also really enjoy a desktop type of review instead of portable :-D

Jan 28, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #155 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by RasmusseN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2

by the way great review we need more of these types of reviews. I would also really enjoy a desktop type of review instead of portable :-D

The biggest problem with a large home-amp review is that if I wanted to buy them all (like I did here) it would cost many thousands of dollars...

Jan 28, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #156 of 3,234
Heck - I bet that just doing the portable roundup cost a fair amount in total as well! However I suppose there's always the chance of, seeing as so many seem to love your reviewing style and opinions, that some people might be willing to lend you an amp or two to review ... just an idea.

And no - I'm not offering mine. I've only got the one desktop amp (my Aria) and it's not leaving me as I'd be left with nothing!

Jan 28, 2007 at 3:12 PM Post #157 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by m_memmory /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heck - I bet that just doing the portable roundup cost a fair amount in total as well! However I suppose there's always the chance of, seeing as so many seem to love your reviewing style and opinions, that some people might be willing to lend you an amp or two to review ... just an idea.

And no - I'm not offering mine. I've only got the one desktop amp (my Aria) and it's not leaving me as I'd be left with nothing!

Well..I think it would be really cool if some people would. But the main problem with high end desktop amps is that you've got to murder about ten people before you can afford just one of them. And I think that is the reason that a lot of people will not part easily with them.

Jan 28, 2007 at 3:22 PM Post #158 of 3,234
Yeah, and to be honest, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable borrowing expensive amps from people, even if they really were willing. It's just not in my nature. And I definitely don't want to "borrow" them from their makers (not that any have ever asked me
biggrin.gif
) - that is too much pressure. I like being free to say what I really feel is right.

So for the time being, a home amp roundup is not likely, I'm sorry to say. My home-amp budget is shot after buying the (wonderful) Meier Corda Opera.

Jan 28, 2007 at 3:59 PM Post #159 of 3,234
The worst part of borrowing is that shipping is not kind to electronics.

Feb 2, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #161 of 3,234
@Skylab
May I ask how well a job the Headphonia w/ USB DAC does with driving your dt770/80s? I am getting a pair for portable use, and I also want to get an amp/DAC combo for them. I really like the Headphonia in almost every regard, but I'd like to make sure that it will do a good job in utilizing the dt770/80's full potential.

I noticed that you give it a very nice review, and this encourages me.

Thank you!
580smile.gif

Feb 2, 2007 at 2:46 PM Post #162 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by nrwilk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Skylab
May I ask how well a job the Headphonia w/ USB DAC does with driving your dt770/80s? I am getting a pair for portable use, and I also want to get an amp/DAC combo for them. I really like the Headphonia in almost every regard, but I'd like to make sure that it will do a good job in utilizing the dt770/80's full potential.

I noticed that you give it a very nice review, and this encourages me.

Thank you!
580smile.gif

Yes, actually, the Headphonia is a very good match with DT770/80's.

Feb 2, 2007 at 3:00 PM Post #163 of 3,234
Skylab,
I know this is apples and oranges but I have the Hornet and wanted to know if I would gain anything sonically if I bought Xcan V3? I am very new to all of this and would like to know some of your thoughts?

Feb 2, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #164 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skylab,
I know this is apples and oranges but I have the Hornet and wanted to know if I would gain anything sonically if I bought Xcan V3? I am very new to all of this and would like to know some of your thoughts?

In general, I think home amps offer better performance for home use, but I have never heard an XCan.

Feb 2, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #165 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, actually, the Headphonia is a very good match with DT770/80's.

Thank you, Skylab. This has pretty much sealed the deal for me. I just need to find out if the DAC will work on Linux systems. If it does, I'm going to get one.

Yay! I'm excited.
580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back