Review: Portable amp roundup! 56 portable amps reviewed and compared - FINAL update 12-20-10 added RSA SR-71B
Dec 23, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #2,536 of 3,234
Quote:

So, in sum, you do not need to amp your Clip to use it with PortaPros. This is a great combination; I think you're gonna love it! Don't forget to thank the thoughtful person who got you this great present!

X2, you don't need an amp.

Dec 23, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #2,538 of 3,234
popcorn.gif

Dec 23, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #2,541 of 3,234
HI NEED SOME INFO I HAVE A PAIR OF KOSS PORTAPRO AND SANSA Clip Plus + 8 GB THESE ARE CHRISTMAS GIFTS I HAVE NOT OPENED YET. DO I NEED AMP TO POWER KOSS PORTAPRO CAN ANYONE HELP HOW DO I turn off the Caps Lock key THANKS FOR ANY HELP

Dec 24, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #2,544 of 3,234
hi if i need amp for my KOSS PORTAPRO AND SANSA Clip Plus + 8 GB witch amp will work well with the KOSS PORTAPRO AND SANSA Clip Plus. i got like $150 to spend. i have ben looking at the Practical Devices XM4 is this any good for my setup .can anyone give me any info or dose anyone have a better amp then this one they might want to sell to me for the 150 shipped i am in the U.S.A
o2smile.gif

Dec 27, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #2,546 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Update 12-15-09

> iBasso D4 Mamba

Info: iBasso

I received a loaner of the iBasso D4 Mambo from Miguel. It was fully broken in when I got it. It’s got a built in USB DAC which has great specs, but I tested it just using its analog input, which is how all these amps have been used. It is a medium-large unit, in iBasso’s usual, nice housing.

Build Quality: A: Nice looking, sturdy metal case. TOTALLY quiet operation. There can be a bit of a turn on thump - funny, the first few times I tried I got none, but now I seem to reliably. Not really worrisome though. No hiss at all. So overall very good.
Treble: A: clean, delicate, smooth, grain-free, extended and transparent. Slightly less extension that the iQube, but smoother in a way that I actually liked maybe a little better in some ways. I never felt it lacked detail. It sounds right on, with never even a HINT of aggressiveness or stridency.
Midrange: A+: I was totally unprepared for what the D4 delivered in the mids. It is the best amp iBasso has ever delivered in this regard by a VERY wide margin. I was really, really impressed. The mids have that beguiling combination of transparency, openness, and sumptuousness that is what truly makes listening to music a pleasure. The interplay between John Hiatt and Bonnie Raitt’s voices on “I Can’t Wait” was terrific – both very plainly audible on their own, but still cohesive as they should be. A significant achievement at this price point.
Bass: A+: Tuneful, punchy bass. I suppose it may be just a bit fat, but that’s OK. It was quite deep, as evidenced by the deep bass synth on Aya Peard’s “This Mess”, but that did not overwhelm her voice. The depth is not quite as deep as I get from the iQube, but it’s very close. Definition was excellent.
Neutrality: A: Basically neutral Maybe just a touch warm? But with the Shure 840’s, this was a blessing, and they paired. There is nothing that sticks out as not being neutral, but the sound is on the slightly warm side. This is always a better place to be than the cold sterile side, unless it makes the sound lack transparency. Which in the Mamba’s case it sure doesn’t.
Soundstaging: A: The soundstage was VERY wide, and very well defined, but it wasn't the deepest I have heard. That said, the Mamba has excellent imaging – nothing at all to complain about here either.
Transparency: A+: This is BY FAR the most transparent amp iBasso has ever made, and it is top-shelf in this regard. It fully delivers that wide-open window on the music that only the very best amps do. Again, this is a new level of achievement for iBasso, and a very strong performance at this price point. Very impressive to me.

Well, this shows how important it is to keep an open mind. Some of iBasso’s other amps I thought were quite good; some less so. Well this one is a CLEAR winner. I was very impressed, and it gets a string recommendation both for overall performance, and for value. Well done, iBasso!

Conclusions (12-15-09)

OK, so now it’s now 48 amps! Here is my view on how the amps stacked up. Note that the sum of the "Grades" I give does not always tell the whole story in how I rank them, since the whole is sometimes greater or lesser than the sum of the parts, and I am often forced to split hairs here, since the list has gotten so long. Also please note that even if these amps include a DAC, that DAC performance was NOT a factor in these rankings AT ALL. Also, for clarification, this ranking is based on sound quality ONLY, and does not take things like size or battery life into account.

1. Triad Audio Lisa III @ $600.00; Power supply is $350 additional
2. Qables iQube @ $605.00
2. RSA Mustang P-51 (review here) @ $375.00
2. Larocco Audio Pocket Reference II mk 2 (availability unknown - PLEASE read entire review)
3. Headamp Pico @ $349.00
3. Meier Audio 2MOVE (and the older MOVE) (3MOVE @ $270.00)
3. iBasso Audio D4 Mamba @ $219
4. RSA SR71 @ $395.00 (original SR71, not the SR71A)
4. RSA The Predator @ $475.00
5. RSA The Hornet “M” @ $370.00
5. Decware Zenhead @ $295.00
6. Xenos 1HA-EPC (discontinued)
7. RSA Tomahawk @ $295.00
7. Meier Audio XXS / Headsix @ $166.00/187.00
8. TTVJ Portable Millet Hybrid @ $459.00
8. iBasso D3 Python $219.00 (review here)
9. Xin Reference @ $279.99
9. Meier Audio Porta Corda III (discontinued)
9. Xin SuperMicro IV (current version auditioned 1/22/08) @ $199.99
10. ALO Double Mini3 (review here) @ $235.00
10. Headamp AE-2 @ $349.00
10. Graham Slee Voyager @ $233.00 + S&H from UK
11. iBasso D2 Boa $165.00 (review here)
11. Go-Vibe 7
11. Mini3 (Price depends on build) built @ $125.00
12. Leckerton Audio UHA-3 @ $189.00
13. Portaphile V2^2 @ $275.00
14. mSeed Spirit (discontinued)
14. Mini-Box E @ $229.00
15. Storm 3 (NOT B3) (review here)
15. Storm Little-2 (review here)
15. Storm B4
16. Visely HEA-4 @ $149.00 (Review here
16. iBasso P-1 (discontinued)
17. Visely HEA- 1 @ $135.00
18. Microshar uAmp107 @ $135.00
18. Practical Devices XM4 @ $135.00
18. C&C XO @ $209.00
19 Music Max LT1 $99 (Review here)
19. iBasso T2 (T4@ $109.00)
20. NuForce $99 (review here)
20. Go-Vibe 6 (discontinued)
21. Xtra X-1 Pro @ $104.00
22. Xenos 0HA-REP (discontinued)
22. iBasso T1 (discontinued)
23. Xtra X-1 (discontinued)
24. C&C Box V2
25. Storm B3
25. Little Dot Micro+ (discontinued)

As always, this is JUST MY OPINION, but I hope it has been helpful.

You're the man Skylab. I'm a total noob and have been looking at this amp for my first due to its great price. Your review sealed the deal and I have just ordered it. Thanks so much for this thread. I'm sure I can speak for everyone when I say we really appreciate it.

I'm curious if you have heard the iBasso P3+ as that was the other amp I was looking at.

Dec 27, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #2,547 of 3,234
Thanks! I have not heard the P3+. I will have my review of the T3 up tomorrow, but it is no challenger for the D4, except in size.

Dec 27, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #2,548 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by deniall /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're the man Skylab. I'm a total noob and have been looking at this amp for my first due to its great price. Your review sealed the deal and I have just ordered it. Thanks so much for this thread. I'm sure I can speak for everyone when I say we really appreciate it.

I'm curious if you have heard the iBasso P3+ as that was the other amp I was looking at.

I haven't heard P3+ either, but I know people at Head-Fi who have,I've also checked with ibasso who say that the amp section of the D4 is similar to the P3+, so you have got the right amp and a very nice DAC.

Dec 28, 2009 at 7:45 AM Post #2,549 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard P3+ either, but I know people at Head-Fi who have,I've also checked with ibasso who say that the amp section of the D4 is similar to the P3+, so you have got the right amp and a very nice DAC.

Thanks mate
L3000.gif

Dec 28, 2009 at 7:58 AM Post #2,550 of 3,234
@Skylab

many thanks for doing all the effort here. i hope you can also do a review about the D2+ boa
i think what you have in the past was the old D2-boa, many thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back