Review: Portable amp roundup! 56 portable amps reviewed and compared - FINAL update 12-20-10 added RSA SR-71B
Dec 19, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #2,521 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dazed&Confused718 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so for $400 and under what are the top 5 portable amps that can drive the hd650/hd600 or AKG K701/K702 straight from a portable mp3 player?

Any of the amps on this list will drive those headphones better than an MP3 player on it's own. I don't own any of those headphones anymore, but there is no need for a separate list for this.

Also, none of the amps here will drive either of those headphones as well as a good home amp will, so do keep that in mind. We're still talking about headphones, here.

Dec 19, 2009 at 2:42 PM Post #2,522 of 3,234
What about Shadow and RX amps ?

Dec 19, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #2,523 of 3,234
All:

Just a friendly reminder, that I review the amps I am given the opportunity to review. If I am not given the opportunity, I cannot review them. So while you are welcome to ask about whether I will review this amp or that amp, I will not answer those posts unless I actually DO plan to review the amp in question.

Somewhat unrelated, I also generally have a rule that an amp must be currently in production, and available for order, to review it. If it's not an amp people might be considering buying, the review isn't helpful in providing guidance.

Dec 19, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #2,525 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any of the amps on this list will drive those headphones better than an MP3 player on it's own. I don't own any of those headphones anymore, but there is no need for a separate list for this.

Also, none of the amps here will drive either of those headphones as well as a good home amp will, so do keep that in mind. We're still talking about headphones, here.

thanks...but what i should've said would it at least drive them to about 75% of their full potential?

especially the ibasso d4

Dec 19, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #2,526 of 3,234
Quote:

thanks...but what i should've said would it at least drive them to about 75% of their full potential?

especially the ibasso d4

i am also interested in d4, do you view the d4 as a high cost / price ratio product?

thanks skylab
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #2,527 of 3,234
BlackStarPUA and Dazed&Confused718 you (as well as all others) should fill in your data so others know where you are located. I say this because you could have a fellow Head-Fier living close to you who might be able to meet with you at library or a café and let you test the piece of gear you are interested in. However you have chosen not to divulge that information and ...

Dec 20, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #2,528 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by vkvedam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Rob, I would like to hear about Meier Arietta (Now Swing) against your top most portable Lisa. If mobility isn't an issue, which one would you prefer. Cheers...

The Swing. If you don;t need portable, don't buy a portable
biggrin.gif

Quote:

especially the ibasso d4

Hard to exactly, but they will be much better than no amp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackStarPUA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i am also interested in d4, do you view the d4 as a high cost / price ratio product?

thanks skylab
biggrin.gif

I view it as a having an excellent price : Performance ratio, yes, assuming that is what you meant.

Dec 20, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #2,529 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Swing. If you don;t need portable, don't buy a portable
biggrin.gif

Hard to exactly, but they will be much better than no amp.

I view it as a having an excellent price : Performance ratio, yes, assuming that is what you meant.

thanks Skylab~ You are sooo~ nice!
beerchug.gif

Dec 23, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #2,535 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by chi-dispatch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HI NEED SOME INFO I HAVE A PAIR OF KOSS PORTAPRO AND SANSA Clip Plus + 8 GB THESE ARE CHRISTMAS GIFTS I HAVE NOT OPENED YET. DO I NEED AMP TO POWER KOSS PORTAPRO?
o2smile.gif

Ummm...you do need to turn off the Caps Lock key, as others have pointed out. But I can answer your question. I am a long-time PortaPro user, and until I stupidly lost my Clip+ a couple of weeks ago, I was using the exact combination you are asking about.

In short: no, you don't need an amp for this combination. The PortaPros are quite efficient and sound very good plugged into just about any quality portable, such as the Clip. That said, the Clip's internal amp is not the most powerful I've heard, so if you choose to fry your ears at very high volume, you may want to add an amp.

I do not recommend this. At the very least, try the PortaPro/Clip combo first, to see how you like it. I suspect you will be very satisfied and will not want to add an amp. An amp is also inadvisable with this combination because the PPs offer very little isolation. In noisy situations, you may be tempted to crank an amp to levels that sound great while you are listening, despite the fact that you are harming your ears.

So, in sum, you do not need to amp your Clip to use it with PortaPros. This is a great combination; I think you're gonna love it! Don't forget to thank the thoughtful person who got you this great present!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back