Review: Portable amp roundup! 56 portable amps reviewed and compared - FINAL update 12-20-10 added RSA SR-71B
Dec 16, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #2,506 of 3,234
Thanks Rob - as long as the Lisa remains at the top of the heap, I only have this:

BRING ON THE RS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dec 16, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #2,507 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Rob - as long as the Lisa remains at the top of the heap, I only have this:

BRING ON THE RS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't get it,sorry
redface.gif

Dec 16, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #2,510 of 3,234
Thanks all! Appreciate the kind words, and HeadphoneAddict, always nice to see when we hear it the same way!

BTW, I am getting a Lisa RS for review.

Next up though: the iBasso T3.

Dec 16, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #2,511 of 3,234
This is my first post in Head-Fi. I want to upgrade from PA2V2 so I keep reading articles about portable amp for weeks these days.
I am so impressed by Skylab's insight review and HeadphoneAddict's decent inputs that I ordered a iBasso D4 today.
I got an e-mail said I can expect receiveing it on next monday! Great speed!

Among today's portable headphone amp market, there are just so many products out there.
Without you Head-Fier's help, I should still be considering/confusing..... and big chance I will choose a so-so amp instead of a real good one.
I really appreciate your efforts that helps guys like me!!

Dec 16, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #2,512 of 3,234
Thanks so much for your post, Hancock.L - it is posts like yours that make the effort for me worthwhile.

Dec 16, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #2,513 of 3,234
Totally agree with Hancock. Got so much help from Head Fi before I bought the T3. Since then I've read about the D4 and got much help and answers from the always so helpful guys Hp-addict, Jamato and others here on Head Fi. Now with Skylabs review I'm totally confident that D4 is the next amp/dac for me. Thanks for this excellent thread and for all the nice and helpful users here
rolleyes.gif

Dec 17, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #2,514 of 3,234
Rob (Skylab), Larry (HeadphoneAddict), jamato8, Aaron (immtbiker) and Ron (HiFlight) I am very concerned, yes very concerned in that all of us agree the D4 is such a killer of an amp/dac specially at its price. My only regret is that I did not have the TopKit to send it so you Rob and Aaron could try the D4 with it.

Cheers.

Dec 17, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #2,515 of 3,234
ohhh..this is a great thread for me :] It gave me some ideas of what to buy..ended up with a mini3 for really cheap. Nice writeup on all these amps

Dec 17, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #2,516 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rob (Skylab), Larry (HeadphoneAddict), jamato8, Aaron (immtbiker) and Ron (HiFlight) I am very concerned, yes very concerned in that all of us agree the D4 is such a killer of an amp/dac specially at its price. My only regret is that I did not have the TopKit to send it so you Rob and Aaron could try the D4 with it.

Cheers.

Rob said once before that he prefers to review the amps as they ship, and not modded or opamp rolled. But I do think he would be surprised at the step up in sound when using the OPA1611A class-A biased on the 2:1 adapter.

Dec 17, 2009 at 7:41 AM Post #2,517 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, I am getting a Lisa RS for review.

Rob, will you be posting your review of the RS here or in the 'Fullsize Amps' forum ? We really need a 'Transportable Kit' forum for that middle area between the true portables and something you could easily throw in a backpack : 48 hours from now I will be in a hotel room in Singapore, listening to music from my netbook via the Topaz. Try doing that with a 'fullsize' amp !
atsmile.gif

Dec 17, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #2,518 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rob said once before that he prefers to review the amps as they ship, and not modded or opamp rolled. But I do think he would be surprised at the step up in sound when using the OPA1611A class-A biased on the 2:1 adapter.

Yep - with portables, and really in general, I prefer to review unmodded amps. My exception to this is tube amps, where I think it's much more common to roll tubes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rob, will you be posting your review of the RS here or in the 'Fullsize Amps' forum ? We really need a 'Transportable Kit' forum for that middle area between the true portables and something you could easily throw in a backpack : 48 hours from now I will be in a hotel room in Singapore, listening to music from my netbook via the Topaz. Try doing that with a 'fullsize' amp !
atsmile.gif

Hmmm....not sure yet. Probably here, depending on how big it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back