Review: Portable amp roundup! 56 portable amps reviewed and compared - FINAL update 12-20-10 added RSA SR-71B
Apr 19, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #1,831 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the kind words. I haven't felt the need to review the Voyager since it's been reviewed extensively elsewhere.

For that matter, most of the amps on your review have been reviewed extensively elsewhere. However, having them all together in one place with the continuity of a single reviewer's observations is where this thread holds value.

Therefore, you should review the Voyager or any other promising competitor......unless you're sick of reviewing amps, which would be a different story altogether.

Apr 19, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #1,832 of 3,234
Damn...this list keeps growing. Great job mate!!!

I love hearing your impressions every time there's an addition.

I would however like to see how your review of the Voyager compares to mine. Seems like we have the same opinions for the most part on amps, and it may seem a little redundant...but it'd be sweet to see anyways.

For those curious, you can see the review of the voyager in the link in my sig....and see how my opinions ccompare to Skylabs (very similar for the most part)....

Apr 19, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #1,833 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shoulda never sold those HF-1, since with flats I think they sounded almost just like my HP-1000 did. Someday post for us your thoughts on those two Grados, please?

holy moley I have owned both and while I liked the hf1s they were a far cry from my hp2s? The woody hf1s do give modern rs1s a run for their money.

Apr 19, 2008 at 6:03 AM Post #1,834 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
holy moley I have owned both and while I liked the hf1s they were a far cry from my hp2s? The woody hf1s do give modern rs1s a run for their money.

Well, I was keeping my OT post down in length, and left out a few details - now I have to fill it in. The secret ingredient was my particular HF-1 have the APureSound V3 cable on them, and with flats they sounded like 95% of the HP-1000. I was pretty shocked myself, because with bowls they were totally different and had more of a sucked out mids and a larger soundstage compared to both the APS re-cabled RS-2 and the HP-1000.

I just accidentally stumbled upon trying the flats at the end of my HF-1 vs RS-2 review, and the mids filled in and the bass got punchy. I later woodied the APS HF-1 but cracked one of the wood cups and returned them to stock for now. With woodied deep cups they sounded even better, richer and weightier.

The first post in my review is a more accurate rendition of what I heard: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/rev...easure-292405/

There is also a Grado Amp Synergy review in there somewhere...

Apr 19, 2008 at 6:34 AM Post #1,835 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You just have to let your ears get tougher to stand wearing them, and after a few hours a day for a few days, your ears will not hurt as much. No longer as soft as a baby's bottom will they be...

Skylab, Is Yoda,er Larry on to something here? all this time I thought it was the equipment that needed to be broken in. .............Voyager.........skylab.......kind of goes together,

Apr 19, 2008 at 12:33 PM Post #1,837 of 3,234
OK, OK, I give in
smily_headphones1.gif
I will see if I can get my hands on a Voyager...

Apr 19, 2008 at 1:00 PM Post #1,838 of 3,234
If money wasn't an issue, which one would you get (best sound quality of course)

Apr 19, 2008 at 1:02 PM Post #1,839 of 3,234
I would get the iQube - for me, the best overall performance other than the Lisa, but the iQube is smaller, lighter, and has more than 10x the battery life of the Lisa.

Apr 19, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #1,840 of 3,234
Quote:

OK, OK, I give in
smily_headphones1.gif
I will see if I can get my hands on a Voyager...

Rob, I'll be happy to loan you my Voyager. Just PM me your mailing address and I'll send it.

Apr 19, 2008 at 1:51 PM Post #1,841 of 3,234
Quote:

I would get the iQube - for me, the best overall performance other than the Lisa, but the iQube is smaller, lighter, and has more than 10x the battery life of the Lisa.

I could not agree more....I really enjoy my iQube with my Triple.Fi.

Apr 19, 2008 at 1:59 PM Post #1,842 of 3,234
x3. I sold my Larocco PRII mkII (one of the best portable amps i've ever heard) and kept the iQube. That should say something about the iQube. It is that good.

Apr 19, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #1,843 of 3,234
Ears are a funny thing!
biggrin.gif
I much prefer the LaRocco PRII MkII over the iQube.
frown.gif
Somehow its sound signature did not do it for me. Heck I prefer the MiniBox-E+ over the iQube.

Before anyone shoots at me lets remember that like ice cream not everyone loves chocolate.
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #1,844 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rob, I'll be happy to loan you my Voyager. Just PM me your mailing address and I'll send it.

THANKS! PM sent
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #1,845 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ears are a funny thing!
biggrin.gif
I much prefer the LaRocco PRII MkII over the iQube.
frown.gif
Somehow its sound signature did not do it for me. Heck I prefer the MiniBox-E+ over the iQube.

Before anyone shoots at me lets remember that like ice cream not everyone loves chocolate.
biggrin.gif

Synergy is the concept that applies here... headphones + amp + source + hearing preferences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back