Review: Portable amp roundup! 56 portable amps reviewed and compared - FINAL update 12-20-10 added RSA SR-71B
Apr 9, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #1,817 of 3,234
I am waiting for a second sample of the ZenHead. The first one sounded good, but the gain was too high.

Apr 9, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #1,818 of 3,234
Skylab...

I cannot begin to tell you how helpful this thread has been in helping me decipher which headphone amp I'd probably find most suited to my uses. I'm still relatively new to the forum (although I read a great deal more than I post) and people with the knowledge and thoroughness like you are a beacon of hope to those of us out here whose heads are spinning from the glut of products and information out here. After a lot of reading and research, I've taken a lot of your advice to heart and I'm going with the iQube to drive my SE530's and Triple.fi 10's, and eventually probably a pair of K702s... Now, how do I explain to the wife where all of the disposable income went?!?

Apr 9, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #1,819 of 3,234
Thanks! Sorry I can't help you on the wallet damage
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #1,821 of 3,234
Skylab, great review. It's about time you add some Grados to your stable, for those who need to know about amp synergy with them, or are you just leaving that one up to me?
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2008 at 12:41 PM Post #1,823 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skylab, great review. It's about time you add some Grados to your stable, for those who need to know about amp synergy with them, or are you just leaving that one up to me?
biggrin.gif

Thanks Larry! Yep - leaving that up to you
biggrin.gif
I am just not a Grado guy. I have owned GS1000's and HF-1's, but sold them both.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fault151 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried a Graham Slee Voyager? Id love to hear how you compare it to the impressive list you have.

So far I have not, but you never know...

Apr 10, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #1,824 of 3,234
Shoulda never sold those HF-1, since with flats I think they sounded almost just like my HP-1000 did. Someday post for us your thoughts on those two Grados, please?

Apr 10, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #1,825 of 3,234
It's not that I dislike the SOUND - I can't stand WEARING them. I find Grados HORRIBLY uncomfortable.

Apr 10, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #1,826 of 3,234
All always better wearing with flats - there is a large psychological factor involved in deciding between bowls and flats. Both my HP-2 and MS Pro's are now wearing flats
smily_headphones1.gif
.........I originally felt as you - but not now.

Apr 10, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #1,827 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not that I dislike the SOUND - I can't stand WEARING them. I find Grados HORRIBLY uncomfortable.

You just have to let your ears get tougher to stand wearing them, and after a few hours a day for a few days, your ears will not hurt as much. No longer as soft as a baby's bottom will they be...

Apr 18, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #1,828 of 3,234
Skylab

This has to be one of the all-time classic head-fi review features!

I'm sure there are many amps that fellow head-fiers insist are deserving of a place here but the one omission that stands out is.......The Voyager!

C'mon Skylab...I'm sure if you gave the word you'd have 10 Voyagers turn up on your doorstep within a couple of days.

You know you want to.....
smily_headphones1.gif

I know there's plenty of head-fiers longing to hear Sky's impressions on the Voyager....anyone local to Sky prepared to loan one for the duration?

Apr 18, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #1,829 of 3,234
Thanks for the kind words. I haven't felt the need to review the Voyager since it's been reviewed extensively elsewhere.

I am going to finish the review of the Decware Zenhead next week however.

Apr 18, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #1,830 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the kind words. I haven't felt the need to review the Voyager since it's been reviewed extensively elsewhere.

I am going to finish the review of the Decware Zenhead next week however.

I understand Skylab.
Can't blame a guy for trying
smily_headphones1.gif

As for all your reviews, I look forward to your experience with the Zenhead.
You should be on commission you know...

Cheers
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back