Review: Portable amp roundup! 56 portable amps reviewed and compared - FINAL update 12-20-10 added RSA SR-71B
Apr 22, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #1,861 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Ch1ckenman's Grado Alessandro's would scale with an amp in the mix.

That's what I've been hearing, and I'm curious what amping would do to my new q-JAYS!

In the future, I'm also going to upgrade and i needed a DAC so I thought this would be a good buy
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 23, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #1,862 of 3,234
WHY isn't this thread a sticky yet?

Skylab have you heard a Pimeta? I'm debating building a Pimeta, mini3, or just buying a RSA amp. Any info for me? My main requirement is great sound quality. Thanks

James

Apr 23, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #1,863 of 3,234
No, afraid I haven't heard a Primeta.

Apr 24, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #1,864 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamess71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WHY isn't this thread a sticky yet?

Skylab have you heard a Pimeta? I'm debating building a Pimeta, mini3, or just buying a RSA amp. Any info for me? My main requirement is great sound quality. Thanks

James

I had a maxed out PIMETA that was pretty nice, with a build out list that was about $160-170 in parts. But when I bought a Meier HeadFive I found the Meier was better, for the same price. I have read that a mini3 is supposed to be better than a Pimeta or a PINT, but even my RSA Predator and Pico beats my HeadFive and previous Pimeta.

Apr 24, 2008 at 10:36 AM Post #1,865 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a maxed out PIMETA that was pretty nice, with a build out list that was about $160-170 in parts. But when I bought a Meier HeadFive I found the Meier was better, for the same price. I have read that a mini3 is supposed to be better than a Pimeta or a PINT, but even my RSA Predator and Pico beats my HeadFive and previous Pimeta.

Thanks headphoneaddict. I had a headfive and I wasn't too impressed with it. Too sterile/neutral, maybe? As you can see I could never write a review.
biggrin.gif
So I'm still trying to decide, but leaning towards one of RSA's ie. Tomy, Hornet, or SR-71. It seems they are in another leauge from the pimeta or mini3. Does this sound correct?

Apr 24, 2008 at 11:58 AM Post #1,866 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamess71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks headphoneaddict. I had a headfive and I wasn't too impressed with it. Too sterile/neutral, maybe? As you can see I could never write a review.
biggrin.gif
So I'm still trying to decide, but leaning towards one of RSA's ie. Tomy, Hornet, or SR-71. It seems they are in another leauge from the pimeta or mini3. Does this sound correct?

I think as the Op has indicated in their summary - "I am often forced to split hairs here" - the differences can be quite marginal, and sound signature related; I wouldn't regard them to be a whole 'league' apart.

In many cases the synergy with other equipment will contribute. For instance I find a Panasonic Cap "Performance" Mini3 to be equivalent with an RSA SR-71 when fed direct from an iRiver H140 lineout to my Livewires T1s.

However if I throw the opamp-rolled D1 in as a DAC from the iRiver's optical out then the SR-71 does show the improvements better (for my liking at least) than the Mini3.

That shows up even more if I move from lossless FLAC to 320kbps MP3s.

However, overall, it is still all quite marginal, and you might find quite differently to me, or the Op, or others.

Apr 25, 2008 at 1:50 PM Post #1,867 of 3,234
I just added the following to the review:

> Decware ZenHead

DECWARE / High Fidelity Engineering Co.

I was asked by Decware, a maker of many high-end tube amps, to review their portable headphone amp, The ZenHead. When I received it, I was surprised about the size – it’s BIG. It’s as big as the Lisa III. It uses a 9V battery, and has no charging facility. Like the Lisa III, it’s really too big for many portable applications. Decware’s Steve Deckert said that he did not really try to keep the size down for the same reason that he didn’t include a batter charging circuit – he was going purely for the best sound he could. Certainly a good goal. However, while in the case of the Lisa III I felt the superior sonics could justify the size, the Zenhead is merely a very good, competitive sounding amp, that is really big.

OK, OK, but how did it sound???? Well, very good. Overall, I felt that Decware’s main business of selling tube amps shows in how the amp is voiced. It sounds like many tube amps I have heard. As such, its sound is a little idiosyncratic. I struggled some with the normal ratings I give, in terms of capturing the essence of the amp. On some tracks it sounded fantastic; on others, merely good. It sounded SO different from the iQube, my reference amp, that I had to switch back and forth multiple times to get a handle on the ZenHead’s sound. It is slightly colored. But in a very pleasant way.

Build Quality: A: Pretty industrial, plain looking case, but very sturdy, and solidly built. No turn on/off thump. Totally silent also – no noise at ALL. No points for style, but none deducted for cheap plastics – it’s all metal.
Treble: A-: Treble is quite clear. It does lack some top end air and extension, and is perhaps a tiny bit hot in the mid-treble.
Midrange: A-: Sometimes they were splendid, but sometimes they didn’t sound quite right to me. Most of the time they had a certain presence I associate with tube amps, but occasionally that presence wasn’t really serving the music and just sounded like a coloration.
Bass: A: The bass was excellent. Full, powerful, punchy. Lacked the very last bit of depth that the iQube has, but still truly excellent.
Neutrality: A-*: Well, it just isn’t completely neutral sounding. Compared to the very, very neutral iQube, and also to the Meier 2Move, the ZenHead has character. Much of the time I really liked its character, but sometimes I didn’t think it was adding helpful.
Soundstaging: A+: The ZenHead has non-defeatable crossfeed. I found that its soundstage was deep and wide, and truly palpable. It excelled here, even better than the 2Move with the Meier crossfeed on. If you are a soundstage freak, this amp is for you.
Transparency: A: This was kind of tough. There wasn’t anything that made me feel the amp wasn’t transparent. Neutrality and transparency are NOT the same thing. So even though the amp really wasn’t neutral, I did think it was transparent sounding. Quite so, in fact.

Hmmmm…so what to make of the Zenhead? Well, it won’t be for everyone, but some people might think it’s the best they ever heard. I didn’t, but you might. For me, however, at its price and size especially, I think it will warrant a careful listen for the prospective buyer.

Conclusions (4/25/08)

OK, so now it’s now 39 amps! Here is my view on how the amps stacked up. Note that the sum of the "Grades" I give does not always tell the whole story in how I rank them, since the whole is sometimes greater or lesser than the sum of the parts, and I am often forced to split hairs here, since the list has gotten so long. Also please note that even if these amps include a DAC, that DAC performance was NOT a factor in these rankings AT ALL. Also, for clarification, this ranking is based on sound quality ONLY, and does not take things like size or battery life into account.

1. Triad Audio Lisa III
2. Qables iQube
2. Headamp Pico
2. Larocco Audio Pocket Reference II mk 2 (availability unknown - PLEASE read entire review)
2. Meier Audio 2MOVE (and the older MOVE)
3. RSA SR71
3. RSA The Predator
4. RSA The Hornet “M”
5. Xenos 1HA-EPC (discontinued)
6. RSA Tomahawk
6. Meier Audio XXS / Headsix
7. TTVJ Portable Millet Hybrid
7. Decware Zenhead
8. Xin Reference
8. Meier Audio Porta Corda III (discontinued)
8. Xin SuperMicro IV (current version auditioned 1/22/08)
9. Headamp AE-2
10. Go-Vibe 7
10. Mini3
11. Leckerton Audio UHA-3
12. Portaphile V2^2
13. mSeed Spirit (discontinued)
14. Mini-Box E
14. Storm B4
15. iBasso P-1 (discontinued)
16. Visely HEA- 1
17. Microshar uAmp107
18. Practical Devices XM4
18. C&C XO
18. iBasso T2
19. Go-Vibe 6 (discontinued)
20. Xtra X-1 Pro
21. Xenos 0HA-REP (discontinued)
21. iBasso T1 (discontinued)
22. Xtra X-1 (discontinued)
23. C&C Box V2
24. Storm B3
25. Little Dot Micro+ (discontinued)

As always, this is JUST MY OPINION, but I hope it has been helpful.

Apr 25, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #1,868 of 3,234
Also, while I doubt anyone will notice, I deleted the original rankings from the first phase of the review when it was just 9 amps. I has to do this in order to include the ZenHead, since apparently there is a 100,000 character limit in posts! So the upcoming review of the Graham Slee Voyager looks like it will be the last amp added to this review.

Apr 25, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #1,869 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.........apparently there is a 100,000 character limit in posts! So the upcoming review of the Graham Slee Voyager looks like it will be the last amp added to this review.

Put a link at the bottom of the first post to another post to continue this great effort for other amps. You could also continue this on the first page if you changed your post 8 to be the link that is used to link too from the bottom of your first posts. A little messy but workable.

But maybe you are just tired and don't want to continue this thread. This would be very understandable.

Apr 25, 2008 at 2:15 PM Post #1,870 of 3,234
That's a good idea. I may well do that. I am not soliciting new amps to review, but I do like to add them when people ask
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 25, 2008 at 3:07 PM Post #1,871 of 3,234
Skylab, have you listened to the original Hornet and if so where might you place it within your rankings?

I'm trying not to second guess my choice of selling it to fund a Predator. In the end your review helped swing me from the superior DAC in the Pico to the AMP in the predator as the reason for my choice.

Apr 25, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #1,872 of 3,234
Sorry, never heard the original Hornet.

Apr 25, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #1,873 of 3,234
Hey Skylab,
I've not heard almost every amp on your list so I'm not best placed to coment but I do own a C&C Box+ It is the successor to the V2. I noticed you comment on grainy treble and a 'noisy' amp. Not questioning your review but I've found the new V+ to be a very clean sound no audible noise even at maximum volume.

Would be interested to hear your views if you get the chance to listen to this. Maybe C&C read your review and incorporated the improvements they made in the XO!!! cheers.

Apr 25, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #1,874 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by GIGANTOID /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skylab, have you listened to the original Hornet and if so where might you place it within your rankings?

I'm trying not to second guess my choice of selling it to fund a Predator. In the end your review helped swing me from the superior DAC in the Pico to the AMP in the predator as the reason for my choice.

I've been comparatively listening to a few portables myself (using FLAC-iRiver H140 lineout-silver mini-2-mini-AMP-Livewires T1s).

I have not heard a well burned in Pred (yet) but believe others who consider it up to the SR-71.

I find the SR-71 above the Pico (either using its DAC or just as an amp) and both a bit above the Hornet (non-M) (as opposed to the true original Hornet of which only 100 or so were made, a number of which have since been converted to Hornet Ms).

Hope that helps.

Apr 25, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #1,875 of 3,234
Skylab, did you ever get to audition the HeadRoom Total AirHead? I searched this massive thread, and found a few references to it, but it doesn't seem that you got to try one out. I have an '04 model Total AirHead (from back when they offered the "Total" option with upgraded caps/resistors, etc. over the regular AirHead), and have been quite happy with it. After reading your review here, I'm thinking of moving on up to the Corda 2Move, as it has the crossfeed that I've grown to love on my TAH. If you're interested, I can lend you my '04 model for an extended listening session, if you'd care to give it a review, since others have expressed interest in this amp. Just let me know...shoot me a PM either way, and I'd be happy to send it your way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back