[Review] Phonak PFE-232 vs Shure SE535
Apr 13, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #16 of 35

Quote:
I got my PFE012 about a week ago and they really impress me. But I've been poisoning myself on the PFE232s. This review really helps. I think I'll go ahead and get myself one. I was considering them against the Westone 4 but I think that liking the sound signature and comfort of the PFE series, I think is the one for me.

I have no experience with the Westone's or other Phonak's. I'm sure the 012's have similar sound signatures. But from what i've read the 232's have a more rich, detailed and open sound. You only have them a week, so i'm sure you can return it for the 232's. And if you don't like them (hard to imagine) you can return it anyway. 

PS: Updated the TS with a rating comparison. 

Apr 14, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #17 of 35
Apr 15, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #18 of 35

Quote:

I have no experience with the Westone's or other Phonak's. I'm sure the 012's have similar sound signatures. But from what i've read the 232's have a more rich, detailed and open sound. You only have them a week, so i'm sure you can return it for the 232's. And if you don't like them (hard to imagine) you can return it anyway. 

PS: Updated the TS with a rating comparison. 

Actually, I'm not planning to return the PFE012s. They are actually really wonderful IEMs for the price. I might use them as a backup or throw-around pair for working out and such. The PFE232s for more serious listening. I might post up some comparisons between the budget and the flagship range when I actually get my 232s sometime this week.

Apr 15, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #19 of 35

Quote:
Actually, I'm not planning to return the PFE012s. They are actually really wonderful IEMs for the price. I might use them as a backup or throw-around pair for working out and such. The PFE232s for more serious listening. I might post up some comparisons between the budget and the flagship range when I actually get my 232s sometime this week.

IDK if you're gonna' see the 232s for this reason.  The 232s, to my ears, are more for fun, relaxing, musical listening while the 0xx/1xx are more for serious analytical listening with a few caveats. 

Apr 16, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #20 of 35

Quote:
IDK if you're gonna' see the 232s for this reason.  The 232s, to my ears, are more for fun, relaxing, musical listening while the 0xx/1xx are more for serious analytical listening with a few caveats. 

On.. hmm.. interesting point. I will have to see how that works out when I get to compare them head to head.

Apr 16, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #21 of 35

Quote:
On.. hmm.. interesting point. I will have to see how that works out when I get to compare them head to head.

Also, if you find the mids lacking at first, do give them some burn in (brain, driver, and tip just in case) before you make any rash decisions :p 

Apr 19, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #22 of 35

Quote:

Yes, would be nice to get a comparison. I actually thought about the 012's first, but went for the 232's in the end after reading some more reviews. 

I have to say, the lows seems to get better after some time, a little more fluid/agile. Do these Headphones need a run in time? If so, for how long? Or is it just psychological? 

Apr 19, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #23 of 35

Quote:

Yes, would be nice to get a comparison. I actually thought about the 012's first, but went for the 232's in the end after reading some more reviews. 

I have to say, the lows seems to get better after some time, a little more fluid/agile. Do these Headphones need a run in time? If so, for how long? Or is it just psychological? 

Phonak media reps told me 50 hours. I did hear small change after though. You break them in as you listen though.

Apr 21, 2012 at 6:41 AM Post #24 of 35
Hi there - great review.

I see that you tested the PFE 232s with a Samsung Galaxy S2. Can you tell me whether the in-line microphone and volume controls for the PFE 232s worked OK with the S2?

I believe the S2 has the same pinout configuration as the iPhone. Does this mean that you will get all the functionality of any headset designed for an iPhone when using it with the Samsung Galaxy S2?

Thanks.

Apr 27, 2012 at 7:23 AM Post #25 of 35
I haven't tested the mic on the S2, but i'll try it out and let you know. 
The remote doesn't seem to work on the Sandisk though :frowning2:

But i've got my J3 back, so i'll test this as well and update the TS. 

Apr 27, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #26 of 35
I found the mic disappointing on the 232 and for me it was unacceptable for the price. Subtle background noise was amplified. Both I and my callers heard it. They were relieved when I took the headphones off and spoke into the phone.

Apr 27, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #27 of 35
Hm, that's a downer. But for me not important at all. I bought it for the music delivery only. 
But if you use the mic i can understand the dissapointment. You'd expect some proper performance of a mic/HP combo at this price range. 

Apr 27, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #28 of 35
the other day I had a chance to try both PFE232 & AKG K3003.. after 2 hours of non-stop listening session, lots of a/b-ing it's hard for me to go back to any of my current earphones.
This include ASG-1, M5 mg7, FXT90, GR-07, B2. arrggg.. time to save money.

back to the topic.. I found 232 excels in reproducing sound of classical concert music. I especially enjoyed how string instruments sounded (timbre?) so natural and clear.      

Apr 27, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #29 of 35

Quote:
back to the topic.. I found 232 excels in reproducing sound of classical concert music. I especially enjoyed how string instruments sounded (timbre?) so natural and clear.      

I agree. Although i don't listen that much classical music i had the soundtrack of Spirited Away with me on my week holiday. And although i usually only listen a few songs and skip the rest, i never really enjoyed all of it as much as on the 232's. I love the strings too. It has some sort of warmth to it to me. Maybe it's timbre :) But other then that it just felt so dynamic and suspenseful. I think i'm normally quickly annoyed with symfonical climaxes with their invasive highs (cymbals etc). But with the 232's i don't have any annoyance and enjoyed the build ups which somehow also feel very dynamic and well timed to me. It's just so layered and well placed. I'm actually discovering the music in a very natural way. I can't really put my finger on it with words ... Maybe need some more time discovering all the details and finding proper words for it ...   

Also i've again discovered the 232's have a huge soundstage with the proper track. It's just not a default, like with the SE535's for example, but only when it's recorded like that. 

So, i'm still impressed and very happy with my 232's. 
I guess my 535's go on sale :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back