[Review] Philips SHL3300 "DJ" Headphones - Most Underrated Headphone?
Oct 20, 2017 at 7:33 AM Post #303 of 458
Are there any ways to open the driver safely without damaging the hings?

What's a hing?

Do you mean the plastic clips holding the 2 halves of the driver shell together? As seen here:

BrokenTabs01.JPG

Dec 4, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #304 of 458
Can anyone tell me the exact diameter of the round part that houses the driver? I mean the one pictured in the post above. The entire thing, should be something like 80-95 mm, I need the exact number. I've got DT770s with dead drivers, I was thinking of buying this Philips and making a frankenphone if it fits.

Dec 5, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #305 of 458
Can anyone tell me the exact diameter of the round part that houses the driver? I mean the one pictured in the post above. The entire thing, should be something like 80-95 mm, I need the exact number. I've got DT770s with dead drivers, I was thinking of buying this Philips and making a frankenphone if it fits.

You mean like buying the SHL3300 specifically for it's drivers, and transferring those drivers into the Beyerdynamic cups?

What are the diameter of the drivers in the DT770?

Dec 5, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #306 of 458
Driver diameter's different, 45 mm in DT770. That's why I'm asking about the entire module that holds the driver. If it's the right size I could transplant the whole thing into the DT770 cup. Plus, by the looks of it the frames have different acoustics so I think there's a better chance of good sound if I use the whole frame, not just the driver. If it's too large, then I will think about adapting the DT770 frame for a smaller driver. 2.5 mm distance around the driver should be easy enough. In that case I could get the drivers from SHP5401 or SHP2700 (cheaper and I already have them) but I was thinking of going with SHL3300 because with these I would get the drivers known to work well in a closed design. SHP5401 and SHP2700 are open.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #307 of 458
newegg has them for a pretty good price right now...I saw them for $9.99 about 6 months ago, this is the lowest they have gone since then...I had them on my watch list, I want the drivers for some vintage cans I have...but I just bought a set of Superlux 668Bs and I am planning on getting some Superlux 681s when the coupon price of $13.00 comes back to town...so these are on hold for now, since I may just wind up cannibalizing one of those sets...
but for $18.00 these are a steal
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...&cm_re=philips_shl3300-_-26-138-187-_-Product

Dec 9, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #308 of 458
Dec 14, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #309 of 458
Dec 19, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #310 of 458
You mean like buying the SHL3300 specifically for it's drivers, and transferring those drivers into the Beyerdynamic cups

I figured that the SHL3300 baffles would be too large for Beyer cups (their opening is 85 mm and the SHL3300 baffle looked like it would be a bit more than 90 mm) and bought the smaller and uglier SHL3200 instead. These are a perfect fit, I've already transplanted them. I'll add pics later, or start a separate thread on that project and add a link. The results are surprisingly good - the headphones are a bit brighter than original DT770s (that I also have - 32 ohm and 80 ohm versions) but sound really good. Plus, they have the Beyerdynamic comfort, sturdiness and looks, but unlike the Beyers they can be easily powered by pretty much anything. And the total cost of Philips SHL3200 + Beyerdynamic 770 with blown drivers + COP pads was $40. Plus I did the humanity a service by disposing of the world's ugliest headphones :)

If I manage to get another SHL3200 so cheap ($17 brand new) I will try do do the same thing with DT990 cups that I also have, see how they behave in an open back scenario. In any case, both SHL3300 and SHL3200 are definitely worth buying for drivers alone.

I ended up buying SHL3300 too out of curiosity. They look much better and are more comfortable than the SHL3200, which are an atrocity in both respects. SHL3300 are not terrible even with stock pads, much better with Custom One Pro pads I had lying around and could not use on any Beyerdynamic DT headphones because the sound was bad. COP pads actually emphasize the treble a bit, so I haven't removed the grille yet. I will try with grilles out and with DT770 and DT880 velour pads later, see which version sounds best.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #311 of 458
I figured that the SHL3300 baffles would be too large for Beyer cups (their opening is 85 mm and the SHL3300 baffle looked like it would be a bit more than 90 mm) and bought the smaller and uglier SHL3200 instead. These are a perfect fit, I've already transplanted them. I'll add pics later, or start a separate thread on that project and add a link. The results are surprisingly good - the headphones are a bit brighter than original DT770s (that I also have - 32 ohm and 80 ohm versions) but sound really good. Plus, they have the Beyerdynamic comfort, sturdiness and looks, but unlike the Beyers they can be easily powered by pretty much anything. And the total cost of Philips SHL3200 + Beyerdynamic 770 with blown drivers + COP pads was $40. Plus I did the humanity a service by disposing of the world's ugliest headphones :)

If I manage to get another SHL3200 so cheap ($17 brand new) I will try do do the same thing with DT990 cups that I also have, see how they behave in an open back scenario. In any case, both SHL3300 and SHL3200 are definitely worth buying for drivers alone.

I ended up buying SHL3300 too out of curiosity. They look much better and are more comfortable than the SHL3200, which are an atrocity in both respects. SHL3300 are not terrible even with stock pads, much better with Custom One Pro pads I had lying around and could not use on any Beyerdynamic DT headphones because the sound was bad. COP pads actually emphasize the treble a bit, so I haven't removed the grille yet. I will try with grilles out and with DT770 and DT880 velour pads later, see which version sounds best.
I have an even better idea! Instead of going to all the trouble of starting a new thread, why don't you just add it to the Mods thread?
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...l-your-full-sized-headphone-mods-here.867426/

Dec 19, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #312 of 458
I can do both. Separate thread is easier to find (I'm thinking mainly of owners of DT770s with blown drivers, and judging by the number of these on auctions there might be quite a few). Plus, I have more experiments with Beyerdynamic cups and various Philips drivers planned. Philips has been making excellent and cheap drivers for a few years now, and Beyerdynamic cups and headbands are awesome in terms of comfort, durability and looks (for me at least). So a thread makes sense.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #313 of 458
I can do both. Separate thread is easier to find (I'm thinking mainly of owners of DT770s with blown drivers, and judging by the number of these on auctions there might be quite a few). Plus, I have more experiments with Beyerdynamic cups and various Philips drivers planned. Philips has been making excellent and cheap drivers for a few years now, and Beyerdynamic cups and headbands are awesome in terms of comfort, durability and looks (for me at least). So a thread makes sense.
Of course you're welcome to do both. :)
The beauty of the Mod thread is that even though it is a model specific project you are getting up to, it actually has universal applicability. So having it in the 'generic' mods thread means that someone can just search "driver swap, Phillips, etc" and not have to know which donor headphone to search or which model of Beyerdynamic. By all means, I encourage anyone to make their mods as searchable as possible, but if you want to make it a little easier on yourself, there is a thread where any and all mods are welcome.
Whichever route you take, thank you for your contribution!

oh, I almost forgot to mention, I'm personally interested in this because I had been looking at the SHL3300 as a donor for some vintage Pioneers I have (that's why I am the guy posting a link everytime there is a good price on the Phillips but don't actually OWN a set) I am a big fan of Phillips, (see my sig?) ....but I bought a couple of sets of Superluxes recently so one of them might be a donor....but no matter the route I take, I am curious to see how you solved the puzzle.

Dec 19, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #314 of 458
I actually have vintage Pioneers SE-50 (got 2 of those, one working and one I got for parts and could go crazy with), but adapting those for such a mod would be tricky. They have 2 drivers, a 3" paper cone "woofer" and a small HF driver in front of it. So there's no baffle in the Pioneers that I can work with and I don't think the baffle from 3300 can be adapted for this cup. But I'll have a look when I have time to dig out these Pioneers.

SE-305 should be much easier, they have a 4.5 cm driver. Actually a Beyerdynamic driver could be a perfect fit.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #315 of 458
I actually have vintage Pioneers SE-50 (got 2 of those, one working and one I got for parts and could go crazy with), but adapting those for such a mod would be tricky. They have 2 drivers, a 3" paper cone "woofer" and a small FF driver in front of it. So there's no baffle in the Pioneers that I can work with and I don't think the baffle from 3300 can be adapted for this cup. But I'll have a look when I have time to dig out these Pioneers.
I have the SE305...they have these massive cups that are covered in pleather...some versions came with multiple drivers also...the point is it's a very versatile chassis, I already did one transplant as a test, but the drivers have a weird sizzle to them that I know is just proof of their lack of quality. (so, not worth trying to fix, just ditch and move on) I am curious to see if they sounded so good because of the original drivers or the cups...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back