[Review] Philips SHL3300 "DJ" Headphones - Most Underrated Headphone?
Apr 13, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #286 of 458
Wow, you got REAL lucky. Usually all the clips snap off like toothpicks.

It's a really stupid design anyhow. I mean, how did they service them for warranty issues?

Dunno how I did it. I guess I'm overly careful. HEY it's Phillip those guys make tools too. I also did the same for the cheap Pioneer MJ512-K more bass but no soundstage. Not as clear either.

Apr 14, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #287 of 458

Looks good. Yeah, you're right - pads make such a major difference on these headphones. Anyone who doesn't try out upgraded pads vs the stock ones can't possibly imagine what they're missing out on.

I can't tell from the photo - is that the $10 generic ebay/aliexpress 100mm pads? Or some other pads?

Yes, I bought them in Aliexpress. $10? More like $5 lol. But for 5 bucks, I can't complain about the quality. They're really, really comfortable, and the stitching is not half bad. Let's see how long they're gonna last.

Apr 14, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #288 of 458
  Yes, I bought them in Aliexpress. $10? More like $5 lol. But for 5 bucks, I can't complain about the quality. They're really, really comfortable, and the stitching is not half bad. Let's see how long they're gonna last.

They look decent from the pics. Do they seem like memory foam, or just regular foam? How much do they heat up your ears?

Apr 20, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #289 of 458
Gonna bore 4 more holes on each side. Bass a little lacking.

Apr 20, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #290 of 458
OK The problem is I'm not getting a tight fit. Took out the original pads and I feel the bass and vibrations. The things is with the other pads my ears sit inside thus creating a loose fit. I tried to bend the top part but only tighten a bit and still loose. With the original pads it more neutral sound which I like, but missing the wide soundstage of the other pads. Any suggestions?

Apr 20, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #291 of 458
Gonna bore 4 more holes on each side. Bass a little lacking.

Hey, before you drill more holes in the face of the cup, here's photos of a slick way I modded a pair of my Sony MDR-ZX110:

When wearing them, they look stock - the vent holes are all on the underside of the cup.

Apr 20, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #292 of 458
OK The problem is I'm not getting a tight fit. Took out the original pads and I feel the bass and vibrations. The things is with the other pads my ears sit inside thus creating a loose fit. I tried to bend the top part but only tighten a bit and still loose. With the original pads it more neutral sound which I like, but missing the wide soundstage of the other pads. Any suggestions?

You're not getting a tight fit with the replacement pads? Because they are so much thicker than the stock pads, it should clamp on your head with quite a bit of force.

The reason why the stock pads have more bass is because the center hole in the pad is much smaller. It's the same idea as the brass ring in the ZS1 1st gen or the KZ Starlines tips.

If you want the bass of the stock pads with an improved soundstage, you can try stuffing the stock pads. It improves the soundstage by creating more space between the driver and your ears, but will retain the bass because the center hole is the same.

You can use rolled up Kleenex, cotton balls, a short piece of coax cable, or caulking backer rod (my personal favorite, because it's available in a variety of diameters and only costs a few dollars for a giant bag).

Apr 21, 2017 at 8:08 AM Post #293 of 458
Whoa dude the cotton did the trick not only is it a tighter fit the soundstage and bass is better. They look a lot thicker almost like the eBay pads. I'm a happy camper Now. Rhanks alot. Yep I thought about putting the holes on the bottom but changed my mind. If I do the mod on my other pair will consider it. I can also feel the bass on my ears unlike before. Woo Hoo hahaha.

Apr 21, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #294 of 458
Whoa dude the cotton did the trick not only is it a tighter fit the soundstage and bass is better. They look a lot thicker almost like the eBay pads. I'm a happy camper Now. Rhanks alot. Yep I thought about putting the holes on the bottom but changed my mind. If I do the mod on my other pair will consider it. I can also feel the bass on my ears unlike before. Woo Hoo hahaha.

Glad to hear it.

Apr 21, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #295 of 458
Apr 21, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #296 of 458
Yeah, those look really good. You're right - about as thick as the ebay pads.

The additional holes you drilled look good to. Balances it out, & looks like it could have come that way. Looks like you mean business!

Jun 20, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #297 of 458
I developed some impulse responses that gives the SHL3300 a signature sound that I like.
There are 3 versions, light bass, stronger bass, and stronger bass with deesser
All of them went thorugh a large chain of equalizing, highshelf filter, room virtualization with 5 speakers and crossfeed between left and right.
It also has the dolby effect and expanded the stereo image by 40%
I added no reverb besides that that is embedded in the room virtualization designed to resemble a reference room.
Try it to see if it suits your taste too. you can EQ the highs beyond 9khz to lower if you use the light bass Impulse response to suit your liking (because I added a few DBs beyond that and the de esser after it to compensate the sibilance)
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f5raabwwxxzzq6e/AABC1Mttyg8g0pdfHK11PdmCa?dl=0
Those Impulse responses are made for Foobar´s convolver plugin, make sure to check "auto level adjust" in the plugin´s option if the volume is too low

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #298 of 458
Hey guys, just to keep this thread alive: I bought a FiiO K1 USB DAC & amp for $40, and God, these phones sound even better! This little fella can drive the phones fine, it was a serious upgrade over my laptop and desktop onboard audio. I was watching Heat (1995) last weekend, and the experience was incredible, the Philips SHL3300 have tremendous soundstage, as long as you replace the stock earpads with over-the-ear ones. Seriously, I don't even miss a surround sound system, such as a HTIB, watching movies with this pair of cans is perfectly fine to me.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #299 of 458
Hey guys, just to keep this thread alive: I bought a FiiO K1 USB DAC & amp for $40, and God, these phones sound even better! This little fella can drive the phones fine, it was a serious upgrade over my laptop and desktop onboard audio. I was watching Heat (1995) last weekend, and the experience was incredible, the Philips SHL3300 have tremendous soundstage, as long as you replace the stock earpads with over-the-ear ones. Seriously, I don't even miss a surround sound system, such as a HTIB, watching movies with this pair of cans is perfectly fine to me.

Yeah, the SHL3300 are one of the most underrated headphones I've come across. I'm thinking about buying another set just so I can transplant the drivers into something else!

Oct 20, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #300 of 458
Yeah, the SHL3300 are one of the most underrated headphones I've come across. I'm thinking about buying another set just so I can transplant the drivers into something else!
how's that going?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back