Review: Philips CitiScape Uptown (Updated Sept 18, 2012)
Oct 31, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #196 of 396
Quote:
I knew there was something fishy about Ms. Dixon... I am new this whole scene.  I just ordered a pair of these from OneSaleADay, and they are arriving Wednesday.  I have been trying to learn more about burn in and other headphone issues, and really enjoy your discussion....although I am bit nervous about the whole possible counterfit thing.  Does anyone here listen to metal music?  I would love any input on how these might work..  thanks. 

I listen almost exclusively to metal ( usually heavier prog, we can take BTBAM as an example) I I find them rather enjoyable with the genre in general, only thing I wish is for the vocals to be a little more present maybe, sometimes the bass feels too upfront, but I don't find it much of a problem and even enjoy it in some types of metal (Djent?). but overall for the price these are a thumbs up

Nov 3, 2012 at 5:21 AM Post #197 of 396
Which one should I get? I don't know if I'm even able to choose one or the other but being aware of the different versions this headphone has, do you guys see the design and looks getting affected by the modifications made to this headphone?

So basically 3 versions?

1. The earlier one with the removable earpad (0:45 note the black elastic material which adjusts onto the earcup) 

*Also seen in the promo video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIRLj1r3KqA

2. The one without the removable earpad now replaced with a black plastic border in the earcup:

http://www.head-fi.org/g/i/618189/sort/display_order/

3. The one with a brown border in the earcup? I've just seen this version in photos:

http://i45.tinypic.com/352m4wp.jpg
http://www.head-fi.org/g/i/691957/

Which one do you think looks better and any idea on where to get any of these?

Nov 3, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #198 of 396
I'm not sure you would be able to choose one, as there aren't officially any different versions of the Uptown as far as I'm aware. If anything, I imagine the removable pads ones are an earlier "incomplete" batch, as the non-removable pads which say "music seal" on them match the official renderings from Philips. Unless you buy them in person and take a look, or you email some website and they try to answer your question, I don't see how you could attempt to get any one specific batch (assuming that any of the older ones are still in stock). It probably shouldn't make a difference unless Philips changed the sound as well, but again it's not like you necessarily have a choice.

Nov 3, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #200 of 396
Thanks!  Good to know there are more metalheads here.  I agree with your assessment of both the vocals and the bass.  I have been traveling, and hadn't had a chance to mess with equilizing or other manipulations to dial it in.  I think I can make it better.  I hope...

Dec 8, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #201 of 396
New to the Uptowns and to this thread. Hello everybody! Doc had supplanted my S500's with the Uptowns in his "over achievers" thread here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/625124/over-performing-over-achieving-headphones-iems-for-their-price-range-top-cost-effective-cans-iems

I of course thought that he was insane, because as far as I am concerned, the S500's are the best thing since sliced bread. Today however I was looking for the local "Losers" store when I accidentally stumbled into the the wrong store: "Winners". They had the Downtowns for $40 CN, and the Uptowns for $50. I knew that Tyll really praised the downtowns. But, I knew that Doc really likes the uptowns. Also, at this point I am more interested in something circumaural and more comfortable, so the uptowns it was.

Listening to them now, and liking them very much!

My S500's improved with many hours of burn in. I will read through this thread to see if burn in affects these puppies (if it does, wow!).

Dec 14, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #203 of 396
Any idea on "how they handle rain" ? Because I live in Belgium and it's often rainy here. For the moment i'm using my AKG K181 and never had a problem with rain but those ones look more comfy...

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #204 of 396
Quote:
Any idea on "how they handle rain" ? Because I live in Belgium and it's often rainy here. For the moment i'm using my AKG K181 and never had a problem with rain but those ones look more comfy...

Likely not well, the black on the headband seems waterproof, but all of the brown seems to readily absorb water, not to mention that volume slider is probably one drop away from frying.

Anyway, I searched for this thread to ask two questions:

1.  Anybody have issues with these not working in certain audio ports?  It's like the headphone connector is slightly off, they work fine from my Sansa Fuze, but plug them into my PC case headphone port, the Asus sound card port, or this Belkin headphone extension and they have trouble.  They have to be plugged in just right, maybe a millimeter from being plugged in all the way or else the sound gets dumped.

2.  This volume slider is really getting bad, anybody else running into the same issue?  It never worked right, the only position that didn't cut the sound by like 70% was to be all the way up and any time I turned my head I would get static and the sound in each ear would fluctuate by maybe 10%.  So I taped the slider, and while that does hold it from head turns, if it's touched I run into the same issues as if I had turned my head pre-tape. 

I get the feeling I need to see how Philips warranty support handles itself. 

Dec 21, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #205 of 396
Talked to Philips and they are sending me a replacement.  I have to say, they could make it less convoluted to contact support, but once contacted they were easy to deal with.  I'd definitely buy again and trust the warranty from Philips, I'd put them right up there with Shure as far as that goes.  Now maybe this was an isolated incident, maybe they knew there was a bad batch of this particular headphone, evidence of such being the numerous reports of the bad volume slider and the literal dumping of these by several websites when it doesn't seem as if Philips is discontinuing them, but based on this one experience they were gold. 

I'll be sure to post back if they made any changes once I get my replacement. 

Dec 27, 2012 at 6:28 AM Post #207 of 396
Quote:
Talked to Philips and they are sending me a replacement.  I have to say, they could make it less convoluted to contact support, but once contacted they were easy to deal with.  I'd definitely buy again and trust the warranty from Philips, I'd put them right up there with Shure as far as that goes.  Now maybe this was an isolated incident, maybe they knew there was a bad batch of this particular headphone, evidence of such being the numerous reports of the bad volume slider and the literal dumping of these by several websites when it doesn't seem as if Philips is discontinuing them, but based on this one experience they were gold. 

I'll be sure to post back if they made any changes once I get my replacement. 

I already had some troubles with Philips products and that they way they work. My coffee machine and my toothbrush broke after one year and they just sent a new one to me.

I really think that they are one of the top brands with customer service.

Dec 31, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #208 of 396
1.  Anybody have issues with these not working in certain audio ports?  It's like the headphone connector is slightly off, they work fine from my Sansa Fuze, but plug them into my PC case headphone port, the Asus sound card port, or this Belkin headphone extension and they have trouble.  They have to be plugged in just right, maybe a millimeter from being plugged in all the way or else the sound gets dumped.

Yep I have those issues with my cMoy. I have to pull the jack out a sliver or sound just turns to static. Did you get your replacement yet?

Dec 31, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #209 of 396
Not yet

I have since gotten a new pair of headphones with a TRRS connector, I bought a pair of the Monster iSport for $30, and strangely it works in some of the jacks the Philips did not, but not all.  It works with the computer case headphone jack, but is actually worse with the Belkin cable.  So I guess it's just that some of these tolerences with the TRRS are less than exac, or maybe it's just that they don't care. 

Jan 3, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #210 of 396
My replacement pair came today:

Box

Mostly the same, only difference is in the wording on the front and the bottom of my original pair the warranty said "USA Only" after the warranty heading.  Contents of the boxes, model numbers, etc were the same, just one pair of headphones.

Headphones out of the box:

Immediately noticeable, the pads are different, old pair have the "music seal" plastic ring, new pair does not. Also, new pair have a different texture to the cups, it's more of a pearl finish than just flat black.  You can't really tell from the camera images, but the color of the cups on the new pair isn't really black, they have a slight brown tinge to them, like they are very dark bronze, but the Philips post that the headband attaches to is definitely black.  In all, the fit and finish of the new pair really take a hit, the old pair looks better and of higher quality, the ragged edge of the ear pads and the mismatched colors really make them look cheap.  Other than the cosmetic the cups and drivers seem nearly identical.

Plug:
There is quite a difference in the plugs, the most functional is the post now has a metal cuff at the base, likely to keep it slightly less plugged.  The original plug, there was a bulge on the back, it looks like they might have just not been manufactured with care.  This fixes the plug in all jacks except the Belkin extension, which after some research the Belkin doesn't like these TRRS connectors.

Volume slider:
The second problematic thing about these, that slider.  They both look identical (in the image, you can see a bit of tape residue on the old one where I tried to keep the slider steady), but on the new one the actual slider feels like it has slightly more resistance to sliding and I'm happy to report that the slider now works as advertised and I no longer have any issues with the sound.  Originally these headphones I could hear a definite volume imbalance, I'm glad to say that's gone as well. 

Eventually I think I'll clip the flat cable and install a new plug, should work well connected to a small Clip Zip attached to the headphones to make a nice self contained pair to wear around the house.  Since these different pads come off easy, I took some extra pics of the back of the driver and the driver housing, unfortunately the driver is permanently attached to it's base with a permanent cover so no good shots directly at the front of the driver.  The only intriguing bit, in the cups at the back there is a clear piece of plastic with a small hole for the cord to go through, behind that is the pivot point where the cups attach, on that plastic was a spot and I couldn't quite tell if that spot was stray glue that had eaten partially through or if it was some sort of tuning spot, it felt like it would let air through the little spot. 

Behind the pads:

Back of driver:

Inside of cup:

Size of ear cups with just the pads removed, considering they seem bulky with the pads, I was surprised how skinny they seemed without them:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back