Review: Philips CitiScape Uptown (Updated Sept 18, 2012)
Jan 9, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #346 of 396
Willing to post proof.

My Uptown, which came in today, doesn't have a volume silder. Only the mic + pause/resume etc. My girlfriend which has the same headphones, in a different color and bought a month or so ago, does have a volume slider. (mines are black)

It doesn't have removable earpads either. Well, only by screwdriver, which has also been mentioned in this thread. 
I guess Philips keeps on updating their headphones as time goes by? 

EDIT: did not read the last page. Seems like others have the same I have as well.

Jan 28, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #347 of 396
Just quickly auditioned a classmate's Uptown on my Lumia 920, really liked it. Soundstage was as said in the OP pretty good, comfort is decent. Design is ugly IMHO. But the sound was there, didn't really like how it sounded with some rock I had, but modern tracks sounded nice.

Jan 30, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #349 of 396

I bought a pair from same seller for same $49 price. Seller said they are new in bulk packaging and sure they just came in a plastic bag all by themselves with no box, warranty card, or manual. Somehow i doubt they are genuine Philips. Maybe the band, cups, cord are OEM philips BUT the drivers probably not. I have not heard these before but just going by all the praise they have gotten on this thread, they don't hold a candle to even my 5 year old Denon D1000. I A/B them with the Denons and Denons blew them away - espacially in bass. Now my Denon definitely are broken in and these Philips are brand new but still. Mine also do not have the "Music seal" logo and they have thick black border around pads that are easily removable - not glued. Any thoughts?

Jan 30, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #350 of 396

I bought a pair from same seller for same $49 price. Seller said they are new in bulk packaging and sure they just came in a plastic bag all by themselves with no box, warranty card, or manual. Somehow i doubt they are genuine Philips. Maybe the band, cups, cord are OEM philips BUT the drivers probably not. I have not heard these before but just going by all the praise they have gotten on this thread, they don't hold a candle to even my 5 year old Denon D1000. I A/B them with the Denons and Denons blew them away - espacially in bass. Now my Denon definitely are broken in and these Philips are brand new but still. Mine also do not have the "Music seal" logo and they have thick black border around pads that are easily removable - not glued. Any thoughts?

They aren't supposed to be glued.  They make have been the uptown.  Bass imo is not what the Uptown does well.

At $100, you've got better options:

Martin Logan Mikros 90 (100000000 times more detailed, better bass, mids, highs, almost everything except soundstage and ambience, comfort, styling.)  Somewhat  neutral.

UE6000 (better really everything, though the Uptown isn't too far in the miss/vocals, except the Uptown is more laid back, more ambient) Dark, gassy, better kids than you'd expect.

At $50  though, the Uptown absolutely trashes everything.

Feb 15, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #351 of 396
Hi,

seems like there are two different references of the Uptown :

[COLOR=000000]SHL5905FB/[/COLOR][COLOR=FF0000]10[/COLOR]

SHL5905FB/[COLOR=FF0000]28[/COLOR]

Here is a quick comparison between them :
http://nsa34.casimages.com/img/2013/10/03/13100311470332428.jpg

Any thoughts?

(Hello all:)

This is interesting. Different specs so I am sure they sound different.

I want to ask something need suggestion, anyone tried PHILIPS SHL3300BK, could you please compare SHL3300 to Philips SHL5905? Which one would you suggest?

Feb 18, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #352 of 396
The uptown has a slightly warmer sound (more lower midrange) with just as much bass as the shl3300, but the main difference is that the uptown has more of an enveloping, echoey soundstage, whereas the shl3300 has sharper, punchier sound across the frequency spectrum.  Both headphones are good value.  The soundstage of the shl3300 is a bit in your face although the separation of instruments is good and clear.

May 6, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #355 of 396
I got a new brown/black set last week after returning the first set that had a volume control slider. The new pair only has a microphone button, no slider (thank god!). Amazon lists the brown/grey as discontinued...

Jun 13, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #360 of 396
They made an IEM, on ear and over ear for this series IIRC, all different drivers but converting a on ear to over ear for what reason? theyre meant to be on ear and cancel noise while creating a good seal for bass

Users who are viewing this thread

Back