REVIEW: Phiaton MS400's
Dec 23, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #16 of 23

Quote:
Oh, Sennheiser sound? Count me out double then. I'm fed up with warmth being sold as "audiophile". Considering that the graph shows major high end cut...
(And that the price of DT1350 is "only" +$75 vs new MS400...)

MS400 are not the stereotypical "audiophile" sound sig; they are midentric and bassy. They also, however, have great detail and resolution, which real music lovers can discern and appreciate; I don't think that preferring a warmer signature discounts listeners of this particular signature as audiophiles in the literal sense of the word when what they are really after is high quality sound.

Jan 8, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #17 of 23

Quote:
Personally I wouldn't call the MS400 bass punchy; it IS puncny, compared to most, but vs. other headphones with a similar quantity of bass I would say it's actually  I would say the bass is deep, forward, and rumbly without excess slam. Its best punch comes in somewhere between 60-100hz IMO, which sounds better to my ears than something like the Klipsch Image One which is an absolute bass cannon but brings its plethora of slam more in the midbass between 100-250 hz. That's not to say the MS400 is light on midbass; it isn't, it's just that it doesn't show its impact as much in that range, which it tends to present more smoothly IMO.

yeah I ended up changing that cause I really didn't know how to describe it then, but yeah I fixed it talking about how its "slow bass" not fast and punchy, more smooth. 

Mar 20, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #18 of 23
I didn't realise you could have a mid centric bassy headphone. I thought the 2 cancelled each other out. I'm definitely interested in the headphones. Sounds like they would be perfect for K-pop. The price is way too high though. Is there something full size that has the same signature? Forward rich mids with strong bass? Not sennheiser please, for me they are veiled and sounds extremely boring.

May 21, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:
I didn't realise you could have a mid centric bassy headphone. I thought the 2 cancelled each other out. I'm definitely interested in the headphones. Sounds like they would be perfect for K-pop. The price is way too high though. Is there something full size that has the same signature? Forward rich mids with strong bass? Not sennheiser please, for me they are veiled and sounds extremely boring.

These don't really have strong bass, but they have musical bass, and with some eqing, if you do that, the bass can give quite a punch. I would recommend this for easy-listening. 

For full-size with similar signature i would think the Shure 840s, but I think for k-pop a better alternative would be something along the lines oh the HFI-580 or if you want budget, I absolutely loved the K518LE, they had great punch, warm mids, and the treble had just the right amount of sparkle. 

Nov 25, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #23 of 23
MS400 are a steal at that price. I miss my pair, I would gladly rejoin Team Phiaton for a replaceable single sided cable...
First of all, nice review!!
From your experience After all these years using the ms 400, can you still recommend me to purchase one of this can? The current price for a new one is $129

Users who are viewing this thread

Back