[REVIEW] Ortofon EQ-5 and Grado GR8: Battle of the Moving Armatures
Sep 19, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #31 of 38
I have done some more listening and tried out several tips.
Triple-flanges give me a wider soundstage but looses some stage depth.
Large bore hole single flanges don't do these justice.
I have heard some sharp edges in a few songs.
Mids are great and a little forward, the way I like 'm.
Instruments have a flesh and bone quality. The listening experience is almost unmatched.
Soundstage could be bigger, at the moment that's the only minor flaw in the sound. For me it's no problem since I like intimacy in music.
Another minor flaw is the high sensitivity. Between tracks there is some noise on my clip.

Sep 19, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #32 of 38
Quote:
I have done some more listening and tried out several tips.
Triple-flanges give me a wider soundstage but looses some stage depth.
Large bore hole single flanges don't do these justice.
I have heard some sharp edges in a few songs.
Mids are great and a little forward, the way I like 'm.
Instruments have a flesh and bone quality. The listening experience is almost unmatched.
Soundstage could be bigger, at the moment that's the only minor flaw in the sound. For me it's no problem since I like intimacy in music.
Another minor flaw is the high sensitivity. Between tracks there is some noise on my clip.

I find the soundstage with the stock tips that were on them to be very spacious and they sound about as wide as the GR07 and over they sound as spacious as the Heaven IV also.

I do love the sound signature of the e-Q5 more than any other IEM I've had.  The e-Q7's mids were just a bit to much though I don't mind mid-centric IEM's at all (I have the RE262 coming at the end of the week) and the lack of sparkle in the highs made some of my music sound a bit to dark.  The e-Q5 fixed both problems and I find the mids to be quite balanced though when the track calls for it they stand at attention for sure but in away to not over shadow the treble and bass.

So I guess you'd say the RE262 has a larger soundstage than the e-Q5?  That's never a bad thing in my book, I do love me some wide and deep soundstages.

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #33 of 38
With stock single flanges the soundstage is just average but has equally good depth and width. Putting triple flanges on them creates a wider soundstage at the cost of depth. I prefer the wider less deep soundstage I get with the trips. 
Imaging and instrument seperation is about the best I have heard.

RE262 has a wider soundstage with the stock big bi-flanges. Depth is not spectacular to my ears and EQ-5 with single flanges sounds deeper.

Compared to the RE262 the EQ-5 are less colored but technically better by a small margin.

Sep 19, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #34 of 38
Techno, the re262 are really mid forward so i would like to see how you find that. As for the RE262 soundstage i never tried with dual flanges unfortunately but with the sony hybrids the soundstage was on the smaller side with little depth, in comparison to the EQ-5.

Also Techno i would love to see what you have to say over on the Heaven IV thread i made (my review).

Sep 19, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #35 of 38
Quote:
Techno, the re262 are really mid forward so i would like to see how you find that. As for the RE262 soundstage i never tried with dual flanges unfortunately but with the sony hybrids the soundstage was on the smaller side with little depth, in comparison to the EQ-5.

Also Techno i would love to see what you have to say over on the Heaven IV thread i made (my review).

Yeah I'm working on a little review of the Heaven IV's, I'll have it up later today.  I have to admit that I really didn't like them much at first but after finding the write source player to use the Heaven's sound quite nice and the bass is just amazing for a single BA as well as the soundstage.

I got the RE262's to use more so with things like rock, alternative and some chillout stuff, I didn't think they'd be that good with edm but you never know.

Sep 19, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #36 of 38
Quote:

Yeah I'm working on a little review of the Heaven IV's, I'll have it up later today.

I got the RE262's to use more so with things like rock, alternative and some chillout stuff, I didn't think they'd be that good with edm but you never know.

Awesome mate! Can you tell me if your liking them though, means a lot?

And hmm they dont have the most bass although i reckon if id played with tips i could have got more out of them.

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #37 of 38
Just adding to this thread. I have just received a pair of the EQ-5's as a gift for an article I recently wrote. Will give them a good listen and report back but after a quick listen I like what I hear a great deal. I think these will be perfect for noisier environments where I can't use my Piano Forte's.

I am going to give the comply's a go this evening, is it best to wear the cables up or down? I have heard that over the ear the soundstage is a little better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back