Review of the Little-Dot MKIII Tube Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jul 3, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #526 of 723
Quote:
My Little Dot MkIII just arrived today, first of all I was kind of surprised at how big and heavy it is, wasn't quite expecting that. I am going to have to rearrange my listening setup to make room for it. Will post again once I get it set up so I can have a listen. Going to give it a work out with both low (Grado) and high (Sennheiser) impedance headphones, see which, if either, it prefers. I am hoping it sounds equally good with both.

If your area is tight, as it seems to be, you may want to look into some sort of cheap feet/cones/etc. to lift the amp up a bit, as it also gets quite warm. 

NK

Jul 4, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #529 of 723
Personnally i been using a small 6 inch clipon fan  for quite a while and it keeps everything cool. im using this amp wihit senns hd800 and denon d-5000 and depending on what im listening there great with this amp this amp for the price is hard to beat imo and the new tubes found in THE TUBE ROLLING GUIDE thread are a great alternative to the hi priced ef95 and ef91-92 family of tubes if you haven't checked  it out already you dont know what your missing guys.Later.

Jul 4, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #530 of 723
I found some room for it, listening right now. Very very clean sound, no hiss or background noise at all. I think my amp shopping days are over for a while. I do intend to look at some tube upgrades, but I want to get familiar with how it sounds now before I go messin with it <g>

Jul 4, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #532 of 723
I use gain 3 with the hd600 and MK IV SE, same when I had the dt880/600 and MK III. Plenty loud around 1'oclock when using replaygain. I've tried gain 10, and it sounded kinda bad with high impedance headphones. The manual recommends using the lowest gain for high impedance headphones as well.

Jul 4, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #533 of 723
Quote:
I use gain 3 with the hd600 and MK IV SE, same when I had the dt880/600 and MK III. Plenty loud around 1'oclock when using replaygain. I've tried gain 10, and it sounded kinda bad with high impedance headphones. The manual recommends using the lowest gain for high impedance headphones as well.

I did kind of notice that the sound DID seem to improve a fair amount when I lowered the gain..thought I was just hearing things <g> Whoever mentioned the heat this amp puts out wasn't kidding, I had a chance to really give it a good long listen today and man does it ever get hot. I think I am going to take the advise someone gave me and get some kind of little fan I can put on my desk to help cool it down. Having said that though the sound is simply magnificent, especially vocals. I have never heard Norah Jones sound so incredible. Are there any solid state amps that can reproduce vocals that well? I'd sure like to hear one if so. Not saying they don't exist, just saying I'd like to hear one if they do.

Jul 4, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #534 of 723
Quote:
 I did kind of notice that the sound DID seem to improve a fair amount when I lowered the gain..thought I was just hearing things <g> Whoever mentioned the heat this amp puts out wasn't kidding, I had a chance to really give it a good long listen today and man does it ever get hot. I think I am going to take the advise someone gave me and get some kind of little fan I can put on my desk to help cool it down. Having said that though the sound is simply magnificent, especially vocals. I have never heard Norah Jones sound so incredible. Are there any solid state amps that can reproduce vocals that well? I'd sure like to hear one if so. Not saying they don't exist, just saying I'd like to hear one if they do.

If your happy that all that counts because what could happen is this
if you pursue other avenues!

Jul 13, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #536 of 723
Between Little Dot iii and iv and Xonar STX i actually prefer the Xonar. Sighted testing it seems to sound just a little thicker on bass, while the rest of the audio quality seems pretty much equal. Between Little Dot iii and mk iv i don't think i hear any difference at all.
I sold the little dots few months back. Great amps, just tube amps are a headache IMO, STX I just leave plugged in 24/7, no probs ofcourse.

Jul 13, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #537 of 723
Between Little Dot iii and iv and Xonar STX i actually prefer the Xonar. Sighted testing it seems to sound just a little thicker on bass, while the rest of the audio quality seems pretty much equal. Between Little Dot iii and mk iv i don't think i hear any difference at all.
I sold the little dots few months back. Great amps, just tube amps are a headache IMO, STX I just leave plugged in 24/7, no probs ofcourse.

What set of cans are you using with the stx, just out of curiousity? I've got the stx aswell but using RCA out to bypass the internal amp.

Jul 16, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #540 of 723
Quote:
How much glow are the tubes supposed to light up?? Thinking something is wrong mine just barely light up and noticed there is a lot of white noise.

Different categories of tubes light up differently as for noise maybe if your tubes are new first thing clean the pins so you have a better contact personnally i use light sandpaper to clean the pins and that should do it if not maybe burnin if not maybe its a bad tube but first clean the pins that should do it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back