Mine just arrived :D
I LOVE IT 
o2smile.gif

May 4, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #513 of 723
Getting this for my Beyer T90
:)

May 12, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #514 of 723
Hey Guys,

I have a DT990 Pro/250 ohm headphone. I'm very much interested in Littele Dot MK3, but I have some concerns:

1.I listen to a lot of rock and metal, and am wondering whether a tube amp is the best way to go or and ss amp such as matrix m-stage could be better.

2. also I like deep impactful bass, so how is the bass of this amp compared to other similiarly priced ss amps(such as m-stage)?

3. how is the synergy of these amps with dt990? a comparison with a similiarly priced ss amp could be very useful.

I would like to note that for a long time I'm not going to change the tubes....

Jun 8, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #515 of 723
whats the best way to switch it on and off? i have a power plug with on/off switch where all my gear hangs on. so i leave the LD hooked to that plug already with its own switch turned on and then switch the main plug on.
also is it ok to switch headphones when powered on? and do i have to leave my headphones plugged in all the time?

Jun 23, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #516 of 723
Would the mk3 be representative of what i would generally find in a tube amp (characteristics)?
I don't mind shelling out this much to have a taste of tubes, and then shelling out for a higher end one.
I can't seem to find a retailer that has tube amps for demo here in the NZ, so the only option i have is to purchase one.

Jun 23, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #517 of 723
Quote:
Would the mk3 be representative of what i would generally find in a tube amp (characteristics)?
I don't mind shelling out this much to have a taste of tubes, and then shelling out for a higher end one.
I can't seem to find a retailer that has tube amps for demo here in the NZ, so the only option i have is to purchase one.

What I can tell you is that on the Little Dot website he says that this amp is the best performance per price amp they make and the one he always recommends to people wanting to see what the tube amp thing is all about. Personally I have a MkII and I think it probably does the tube thing pretty well but I have nothing else to compare it to, all I can say is I like it. I like it so much I still have the stock tubes in it, never felt the need to even try swapping them out for something else.

Jun 23, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #518 of 723
Quote:

ive had this amp for a couple of years now and for the price you cant go wrong. and if you want to do some tube rolling heres the link you should go to i listen to the little dot mk3 with my senns hd800 and with the link i will give theres a lot of tubes you will be able to try that will have way better sound than the standard tube that little dot recommends at a fraction of the cost of regular tubes and if you want infos regarding  littledot amps feel free to ask anybody on the thread regarding your amp or tubes hope to see you there  MIKELAP          http://www.head-fi.org/forum/newestpost/563884

Jun 24, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #519 of 723
I have a bit of a dilemma with this amp. I really like the looks and reviews of the Little Dot Mk III but AFAIK the amp isn't too good for lower impedance (32 Ω) headphones. Most of my cans are within that impedance range. Headphone amps with good frequency extension that also work as a preamp at that price range are hard to find though.

Edit: I know that the LD I+ is considered the headphone amp for lower impedance headphones, but sadly that one has no line out of any sort. Also the Schiit stuff isn't really an option for most EU folks.

Jun 24, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #521 of 723
to quote negatron from a private message (http://www.head-fi.org/u/41866/negatron)-hope he doesn´t mind!

Quote:
I have had both a Schitt Lyre and Valhalla, and the MK III is easily their equal in detail and smoothness, I rather prefer it to both.

Jun 24, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #522 of 723
Quote:
I have a bit of a dilemma with this amp. I really like the looks and reviews of the Little Dot Mk III but AFAIK the amp isn't too good for lower impedance (32 Ω) headphones. Most of my cans are within that impedance range. Headphone amps with good frequency extension that also work as a preamp at that price range are hard to find though.

Edit: I know that the LD I+ is considered the headphone amp for lower impedance headphones, but sadly that one has no line out of any sort. Also the Schiit stuff isn't really an option for most EU folks.

ive had the mk3 for a couple of years now and i used the amp with Denons ahd-5000 which are 25 ohhms headphones and they sound pretty d.......m good to me and i also use them with  senns hd800 which sounds great to for $250.00 you cant go wrong and if you go on the link i mentionned on this page you will get plenty of tube rolling ideas for cheap on average i never pay more than $3.00-$4.00 per tubes for driver tubes check it out.

Jun 25, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #523 of 723
Well I just bought a used Mk-III. If I like it I will most likely upgrade to a Mk-IV SE later on. Just need to see how it sounds, I am particularly interested in the noise floor. I hate hum and white noise (hiss) in my amps. It is possible to build a quiet tube amp as the one I have now is totally quiet unless I absolutely max the volume.

Jun 26, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #524 of 723
Quote:
Well I just bought a used Mk-III. If I like it I will most likely upgrade to a Mk-IV SE later on. Just need to see how it sounds, I am particularly interested in the noise floor. I hate hum and white noise (hiss) in my amps. It is possible to build a quiet tube amp as the one I have now is totally quiet unless I absolutely max the volumeR

Rolling the input tubes changes things quite a bit, too. I have found that the military grade stuff tends to be lower noise, as the quality control is different. There's no need to go crazy with pricey tubes on the LD3, but finding a nice set of Mullard M8100s (<$20 for a pair, no problem) , for example, would be a solid upgrade for you. 

Regarding the hum, my LD3 did tune into a nice radio station for a while, so placement will be key.

NK

Jul 2, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #525 of 723
My Little Dot MkIII just arrived today, first of all I was kind of surprised at how big and heavy it is, wasn't quite expecting that. I am going to have to rearrange my listening setup to make room for it. Will post again once I get it set up so I can have a listen. Going to give it a work out with both low (Grado) and high (Sennheiser) impedance headphones, see which, if either, it prefers. I am hoping it sounds equally good with both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back