Review of the Little-Dot MKII Tube Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Sep 20, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #481 of 659

How are you finding your amp? What cans do you use with it most? 

I mostly use the HD650 balanced in to MK VI+. Occasionally I used the DT990 SE. The strength of the VI+ is the balanced output
biggrin.gif
. BTW I have balanced DAC, so it is balanced all the way. I am not trying to convince you that balanced is better than SE. A good SE designed amp will sound as great.  OTL amps are good with high Z HP's. If you have low Z cans you may want to rethink. (never mind it has got different gain settings so you can use low z HP's)

Direct from LD the amp cost AUD$243 (USD$178 for Oceania) and the seller in Oz is selling it for AUD$248(may be it is being drop shipped from HK considering the freight is AUD $49)

Sep 20, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #482 of 659

Direct from manufacturer and they ship via  DHL from HK which will take about 3 days to Sydney. I got my amp in 3 days  and I live in regional VIC. 

Oh yikes, that is REALLY fast. I am also in Vic, so that interests me greatly.

I just checked it out - seems to be $20 higher if I go direct (which is really odd).

How are you finding your amp? What cans do you use with it most? 

Also make sure your seller is an authorized dealer or else no warranty 

Sep 28, 2016 at 4:04 AM Post #483 of 659
I bought a recycled mk ii (posible tube error). I checked the version of its circuit. the circuit is ver 3.0. the current version is 3.0?
according to its guide on littledot.net, it is available to use 6k30 as well as 6n6 on above the version 2.0. I have already ordered a pair of 6J1P-EV from ebay but I have not bought 6n6p yet.

how does its version differ sound from previous versions?

Oct 5, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #484 of 659
Just got a new unit (through Massdrop) and what is strange is that even before I don't turn the source on - I hear a relatively loud ticking sound once I turn MKII on. Sounds strange - I had a tube amp looong time ago, but can't remember anything like that. Is that normal?
UPD: Looks like it was a static. Fixed!

Nov 19, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #485 of 659
I'd always been a solid state amp guy.  I played around with a XDuoo TA-02 a while back, and while it had 2 EF95 family tubes, it still relied on solid state circuitry for power amplification.  It sounded nice, but now resides on my desk at work.  I also built a nice buffer based on the X10-D and enjoy it quite a bit with my Krell KSA5 Klone.  I finally got a full tube amp when I joined the Little Dot MkII drop from Massdrop last month.  I had ordered a selection of different tubes off of eBay while waiting for shipment, and got the amp and tubes all at once.  The first listen with the stock Chinese tubes, was ok.  The bottom end was somewhat muddy, the mids were acceptable, and the highs were somewhat harsh.  I didn't give it a chance to burn in.  I swapped in a pair of Novosibirsk 6N6P marked 8th week of 1973 and played around with some EF95 tubes.  The sound was nice, especially with the Soviet tubes (more below).  I opened up the amp with a plan to make a switch for the EF92/95 jumpers and lo and behold, the horrors!

The board was marked version 3.  The build quality was dodgy at best.  There was flux residue all over the place and while the soldering was solid, it was messy.  The WIMA input coupling caps were melted at the bases.  They were marked 3.3uF, and being tiny, were likely polyester.  The other film caps were nasty generic globs whacked in willy-nilly.  The film resistors were marked 1%, and when I measured them later after I cut them out, they were 1%, but barely.  The big 5W resistors were 10% jobs.  The LED was mounted too low and did not fit into the hole in the front panel.  Finally, the bridge rectifier was some yucky no-name job.  On the plus side, the electrolytic caps (UCC's, Nichicon's, and Rubycon's) were quite nice.  The pot looked chintzy, but it's an Alps and actually measured well and sounded smooth.  

An order was placed with Mouser, and after the package arrived, I got busy with the snippers and desoldering iron.

That's some Shenzhen market special!

After some work, much better!

The film resistors are Vishay RN55 (matched to 0.1% between left and right channels for the signal resistors) and CFP series.  Yes, I even replaced the resistor to the LED.  It was $0.10 so why not?  The large 5W resistors are 1% and also Vishay's, but wirewound (don't care about inductance there).  The film caps are WIMA 5% polypropylene.  The large coupling caps are Kemet 3.3uF polypropylene.  I have a pair of them in my Lehmann BCL clone and they sound very nice.  There's a proper Vishay bridge rectifier, a Fairchild diode (again, also $0.10), a properly aligned LED, and a DPDT switch for the jumpers.  The connecting wires were also switched out.  I did not modify the circuit because I wanted to know what this little guy is truly capable of with good components.

The first set of driver tubes were a pair of Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV marked 11th week of 1981.  Before the innards swap, they sounded nice.  Good bass response and punch.  Nice midrange, especially with female vocals, and clear highs.  After the new guts, everything holds, but better.  The bass extends down deep, but is controlled, tight and well defined.  I wonder if the original WIMA's were actually 3.3uF.  They were probably of a lower value so that the bass roll-off frequency was higher.  The midrange is now front and center.  Male and female vocals are lush and full.  Mark Knopfler's Strat sounds so sweet.  The highs are bright without being fatiguing.  High-hats and cymbals are crystal clear with a smooth natural decay.  The soundstage is astounding, giving my solid state amps a run for their money.  There was a thin veil before, and now it's gone.  Needless to say, I haven't got around to the other tubes.

The Little Dot will not replace my solid state amps, as when one gets down to the nitty-gritty, the solid states are technically superior.  But boy, is the Little Dot fun, and I am looking forward to playing with the other tubes in my collection.

Dec 5, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #486 of 659
With more sensitive headphones, I was picking up a background hiss.   I traced it to the little cheap Alps pot, as when I shorted it, the hiss went away.  I picked up a stepped attenuator from ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/181534837651?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT and bodged it in.  It fit just fine.  The attenuator may be cheap, but it measured at <1%, very nice.  There is now a nice black background.

Still playing with tubes.  The latest ones are a pair of Tung-Sol 6AJ5.  The 6AJ5's have identical pinout as the 6AK5, but lower gain.  The bass is nice though.  It matches the Voshkod's, but feels even tighter.

Dec 7, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #487 of 659
Noob here! Thinking about the Little Dot Mark II for my headphone jack-less Scott 299A. My thought is to connect the tape out to the input on the Little Dot, which I believe is before the signal reaches the volume control. The headphones are Senn HD-580s. I should still get the benefit of the phono pre in the Scott and would not need to disconnect the speakers in order to be in head-fi heaven. Does that make sense? Thanks all! 

Dec 7, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #488 of 659
  Noob here! Thinking about the Little Dot Mark II for my headphone jack-less Scott 299A. My thought is to connect the tape out to the input on the Little Dot, which I believe is before the signal reaches the volume control. The headphones are Senn HD-580s. I should still get the benefit of the phono pre in the Scott and would not need to disconnect the speakers in order to be in head-fi heaven. Does that make sense? Thanks all

I use the Littledot mk3 and i wanted to use it as preamp with my Pioneer SX750 which is a DC COUPLED amp bottom line is i could not use the LD as preamp because there is no protection against a possible DC surge that could possibly blow my speakers or  headphone .i would look into it just to make sure that its safe 

Dec 7, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #489 of 659
Noob here! Thinking about the Little Dot Mark II for my headphone jack-less Scott 299A. My thought is to connect the tape out to the input on the Little Dot, which I believe is before the signal reaches the volume control. The headphones are Senn HD-580s. I should still get the benefit of the phono pre in the Scott and would not need to disconnect the speakers in order to be in head-fi heaven. Does that make sense? Thanks all! 

I use the Littledot mk3 and i wanted to use it as preamp with my Pioneer SX750 which is a DC COUPLED amp bottom line is i could not use the LD as preamp because there is no protection against a possible DC surge that could possibly blow my speakers or  headphone .i would look into it just to make sure that its safe 

As long as you are not using the Little Dot as a preamp you shouldn't have to worry about it. Your proposed set-up sounds perfectly fine. Never listened to a vintage tube integrated amp before. Using it as a source for the Little Dot gotta produce some delicious tube wonkiness!

Dec 9, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #490 of 659
Hello Littledot users,

I need help. I just received an MK2 unit from Hong Kong (Sound Vision) and I am confused about the jumper settings.
I plan to use them with Beyerdynamic T5p (low impedance version of T1, 32 Ohm) and I opened it to change the DIP switches.
Surprise was that the DIP switches were already ON (both channels) and in the user manual they were mentioning the default setting of high impedance. OK, no change here since the setting matches my headphones.
But when looking to the jumpers, because I ordered it with standard tubes, 6J1 + 6N6, I observed that there is a jumper in place.
And that the jumper slot has 3 pins. According to the manual, the standard config is without any jumpers. In the package of the RCA cable I found 3 jumpers (like they were removed). Thinking on the manual, I removed the 2 found on 2 of the 3 pins on the unit, them plugged the tubes and started it. Seems to work fine, but still, I ask for your advice and help. For these tubes, should I remove all pins or just plug them like they were sent from the factory? Am I doing something wrong here? What is the config of the jumpers for these tubes on your units? Anyone found a 3 pin jumper instead of the 2 pin one?

This is a picture before I removed the pins (looks like it came from the vendor):

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dec 9, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #491 of 659
The jumper settings as you got it is the correct setting.  The 2 side pins are labeled as "EF92" and "EF95/6J1".  You should have the jumper on the center pin and the EF95/6J1 pin. 

Dec 9, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #492 of 659
Thanks! Now that I think in your logic it makes sense and what I marked on the PCB is OK, but the manual is confusing since it stating "no jumper".

Dec 9, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #494 of 659
Might be, I an a "noob" on Littledots. I wanted to have a warmer sound on audio-gd NFB11 + Beyerdinamic T5p.

Picture with the devil:

And the complete "audio line":

Dec 10, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #495 of 659
When I first got the Little Dot MkII, I measured the DC offset on startup and noted that it was pretty high, hence the warning not to use it as a preamp for a DC coupled power amp. The DC current will be amplified by the power amp and blow out speakers/headphones. The preamp output comes off the headphone out directly.  I finally read the manual carefully and it said to plug in the headphone before turning the amp on.  Not sure if that's a good idea.  I made this little video to show why.

Without a load, it takes even longer to stabilize.  I would wait for at least 5 minutes after turning on the amp before plugging in headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back