Review of the Little-Dot MK1 Portable Headphone Amplifier
Jun 9, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #181 of 264
Quote:

Originally Posted by yklee118 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Little Dot MK-I has no problem driving the Sennheiser HD280-Pro. In fact I use this headphone more than most of the headphones I have in my arsenal. The closed nature of the HD280 allows for us to do an AB comparison between the use of the stock OPAMP and the LM1364. Warmer with the same dynamic range as described by PENCHUM. I actually have a 16-ohm headphone by the older generation SONY Corporation and the drive is very strong with great dynamic and soundstage presence.

Rest assured that this amplifier will not have any issues with low impedance headphones. That is what the rear mounted gain switch is there for.

X2 I tried a couple and didn't have any issues either.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 12, 2008 at 6:50 AM Post #183 of 264
Been running with the MK1 with MS2 for almost 150 hours. And I must say the improvement was great as the hours goes by. As I thought I have reach nirvana on the stock opamp, I pop in the LT1364. Instant reaction was holy molly....where did all the sounds that i never heard came from. I hear extra things that I had never hear b4, the staging has improved drastically, the brightness was tone down and vocals are much warm...its no regrets for switching and no way I am turning back to the stock opamp.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 15, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #184 of 264
I have a question. Right now I'm listening to my SR-225s on my computer, and I just plugged them into the jack on my Logitech Z-560 speakers and the bass is much more present than on my Zune. How would amping my Zune with the MK1 compare to the sound I hear through my PC, would there be just as much bass?

Jun 15, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #185 of 264
Quote:

Originally Posted by jfindon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a question. Right now I'm listening to my SR-225s on my computer, and I just plugged them into the jack on my Logitech Z-560 speakers and the bass is much more present than on my Zune. How would amping my Zune with the MK1 compare to the sound I hear through my PC, would there be just as much bass?

)Firstly , plugging your headphones into your logitech speakers is not the same as plugging them into your computer. theheadphone output of your logitech, good or bad , is what you hearing. Not your computer. Unless you are running one snazzy sound card in your computer the Mk 1 will blow your mind just on how much more of evertything there is. You'll be pleasantly surprised. You won't experct what you'll be about to hear.
Have fun.

Jun 15, 2008 at 1:25 PM Post #186 of 264
Quote:

Originally Posted by mitchb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
)Firstly , plugging your headphones into your logitech speakers is not the same as plugging them into your computer. theheadphone output of your logitech, good or bad , is what you hearing. Not your computer. Unless you are running one snazzy sound card in your computer the Mk 1 will blow your mind just on how much more of evertything there is. You'll be pleasantly surprised. You won't experct what you'll be about to hear.
Have fun.

Well that's what I meant, I'm listening to them through my speakers
smily_headphones1.gif
Would there be a difference if I plugged them into my sound card?

Either way I'll wait until this new MK1+ or whatever comes out and go from there. Need to let my card cool down anyway, I just bought my first DSLR
wink.gif

Jun 15, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #187 of 264
I asked DavidZ if he could expand upon the news for the MK1+. Here is his reply:

"The MK I+ will essentially be a refresh of the currently Little Dot MK I, with a slightly improved circuit for better sound quality with a wide variety of op-amps."

Sounds interesting.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 21, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #188 of 264
I guess I'll wait for the new one then. I hope it's out soon.

EDIT: Wow, I hope it comes really soon because I can't even listen to my Zune and SR225s anymore after listening to them through my speakers, there is ZERO bass on my Zune
frown.gif

Definitely need an amp now.

Jun 21, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #189 of 264
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I asked DavidZ if he could expand upon the news for the MK1+. Here is his reply:

"The MK I+ will essentially be a refresh of the currently Little Dot MK I, with a slightly improved circuit for better sound quality with a wide variety of op-amps."

Sounds interesting.
smily_headphones1.gif

[size=small]Hello, Penchum:

I am new to this forum, and decided to join after reading with great interest your wonderful review of the LD MK1. I tried to purchase it on eBay from Jasmine, based mostly on your glowing description of it. Unfortunately I was unable to get it, and after two attempts to contact the seller, I finally received a reply, stating that he was unable to ship the unit because of a restriction that the China government has imposed on shipping the Lithium-Ion batteries that are part of it.

Shortly after, I was lucky to find a "used, in like new condition" LD MK1 on eBay, and purchased it with "Buy It Now" for $92 plus $8.25 S&H. I am expecting to receive it next week. The seller stated that the unit has had some 15-20 hours of use only, so judging from that, it may be barely beginning to be burned in. He also offers a 3-day return, if not satisfied. I will much appreciate it if you can advise me on what to look out for while testing the unit.

Before too long, I intend to purchase either the Sennheiser HD600 or the HD650 Headphones, and am trying to decide between the two, but have not had the chance to hear-test either of these. I noticed that you now have both. Which ones do you like better? I am a musician (retired music professor) with a good ear, and seek to hear as much of clear undistorted and uncolored source detail as I can with as flat a response as possible. Don't we all?
biggrin.gif
In some online reviews I read that the 650s are smoother, and perhaps even too smooth, and less detailed than the 600s. Is this the case as far as you are concerned? Right now, while deciding which to purchase, I do not have any high end headphones, and will be testing the LD MK1 with my Sony MDR6s, and my Nakamichi SP-7s; for portable use -- walking, exercising, etc. I use the Sennheiser PX100s.

I look forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
imagemaker[/size]

Jun 21, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #190 of 264
Quote:

Originally Posted by imagemaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=small]Hello, Penchum:

I am new to this forum, and decided to join after reading with great interest your wonderful review of the LD MK1. I tried to purchase it on eBay from Jasmine, based mostly on your glowing description of it. Unfortunately I was unable to get it, and after two attempts to contact the seller, I finally received a reply, stating that he was unable to ship the unit because of a restriction that the China government has imposed on shipping the Lithium-Ion batteries that are part of it.

Shortly after, I was lucky to find a "used, in like new condition" LD MK1 on eBay, and purchased it with "Buy It Now" for $92 plus $8.25 S&H. I am expecting to receive it next week. The seller stated that the unit has had some 15-20 hours of use only, so judging from that, it may be barely beginning to be burned in. He also offers a 3-day return, if not satisfied. I will much appreciate it if you can advise me on what to look out for while testing the unit.

Before too long, I intend to purchase either the Sennheiser HD600 or the HD650 Headphones, and am trying to decide between the two, but have not had the chance to hear-test either of these. I noticed that you now have both. Which ones do you like better? I am a musician (retired music professor) with a good ear, and seek to hear as much of clear undistorted and uncolored source detail as I can with as flat a response as possible. Don't we all?
biggrin.gif
In some online reviews I read that the 650s are smoother, and perhaps even too smooth, and less detailed than the 600s. Is this the case as far as you are concerned? Right now, while deciding which to purchase, I do not have any high end headphones, and will be testing the LD MK1 with my Sony MDR6s, and my Nakamichi SP-7s; for portable use -- walking, exercising, etc. I use the Sennheiser PX100s.

I look forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
imagemaker[/size]

Hi, and welcome!

The differences between the HD-600 and HD-650 is an ongoing topic for some folks.
smily_headphones1.gif
To me, it's pretty simple. If you are after "purity" of reproduction, go with the HD-600's. If you want a smoother presentation, without loosing any detail, go with the HD-650's.
smily_headphones1.gif

Both headphones new, will NEED at least 250 hours to mature, sometimes a little more. I would just listen to them while you are maturing them. It isn't like they sound "bad" out of the box, just better after maturing.
smily_headphones1.gif

In many respects, it is nice to end up with both headphones. Late at night, I like to drift off using the HD-650's. When I want to listen to pure solid state, out come the HD-600's. I use both with my tube amps, and they are a blast.

The place I got my HD-600's from has a decent price and shipping options, it is here: Sennheiser HD 600 - CompUPlus Direct and you have to click to see the $282 price.
smily_headphones1.gif

I hope this helps some!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 22, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #191 of 264
Well ... just bought the triple.fis some days ago, but now I'm considering this little baby too.

Do you think that the audio quality will increase dramatically? (they're unamped 'til now)
I do need a special cable, don't I?
Source is an iPod Video 30GB (5G), with the triple.fis and ALAC/320kbs MP3 files.

105€ (incl. shipping) isn't that much, but importing stuff from China without a real need for it ... well, just too much work.
wink.gif

Jun 22, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #192 of 264
Quote:

Hi, and welcome!

The differences between the HD-600 and HD-650 is an ongoing topic for some folks.
smily_headphones1.gif
To me, it's pretty simple. If you are after "purity" of reproduction, go with the HD-600's. If you want a smoother presentation, without loosing any detail, go with the HD-650's.
smily_headphones1.gif

Both headphones new, will NEED at least 250 hours to mature, sometimes a little more. I would just listen to them while you are maturing them. It isn't like they sound "bad" out of the box, just better after maturing.
smily_headphones1.gif

In many respects, it is nice to end up with both headphones. Late at night, I like to drift off using the HD-650's. When I want to listen to pure solid state, out come the HD-600's. I use both with my tube amps, and they are a blast.

The place I got my HD-600's from has a decent price and shipping options, it is here: Sennheiser HD 600 - CompUPlus Direct and you have to click to see the $282 price.
smily_headphones1.gif

I hope this helps some!
smily_headphones1.gif

[size=small]

Thank you so much for your response, Penchum!

What are your thoughts about what to look for while testing the used LD MK1 that will arrive next week?

All the Best!
imagemaker[/size]

Jun 22, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #193 of 264
Quote:

Hi, and welcome!

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

I hope this helps some!
smily_headphones1.gif

[size=small]

What are your thoughts about what to look for while testing the used LD MK1 that will arrive next week?

All the Best!
imagemaker[/size]

Jun 22, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #194 of 264
It's really un-fun waiting for this new version, I probably won't even use my Zune until I get one. I wish there was a way to rent the current version to use until the + came out
frown.gif

Jun 22, 2008 at 1:50 PM Post #195 of 264
Quote:

Originally Posted by imagemaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=small]

All the Best!
imagemaker[/size]

I'd look to see if the previous own upgraded the original Opamp (LM4562) to the much better LT1364. If you can find out ahead of time via email, you could order the LT1364 (if needed) and get it heading your way.
smily_headphones1.gif

I guess I'd run the MK1 until it was totally discharged, then charge it for 3 hours (full charge) and then time how long it takes to completely discharge it. You should be able to get more than 17 hours off of a full charge.

There isn't much else to check.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back