Review of Little Dot MKV Dual Mono Solid State Headphone Amplifier
Jun 9, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #361 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by ciphercomplete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know how well this thing drives AKGs like the k-501/701? My MK III usually reaches a good volume around the 12 o'clock position. It is well past intolerable at 3 o'clock. Is the MK V about the same?

With my Senns, I can get more knob travel with the MKV. Still well within any kind of limits.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 9, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #362 of 740
The Hum X works great to eliminate low level noise, it is safe and does not degrade sound...........life is good

I only had low level noise issues when using computer as music source, when using LD MkV with CD player there were no noise issues.

Jun 9, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #363 of 740
I bought a Hum X for an amp problem (not my Little Dot Mk V, a speaker amp) that turned out to be fuse related. So if anyone is interested in buying mine, it was only plugged in once for about 5 minutes. Shoot me a pm if interested

Jun 9, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #364 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No problem guys, here is what I know so far.

The hunting down and elimination of ground loop hum, is supposed to be a multi-part exploration, before you spend any money on it. Try these few simple steps and see if it helps.

Thank you Penchum. If there is no sound degradation, I think the impedance adapter might be the way for me. Now, I wonder where I can get my hands on an impedance adapter...

Jun 10, 2008 at 12:52 PM Post #366 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does there exist an Hum X for the northern European power sockets? (or an equivalent product)

I honestly hadn't looked. I would think "someone" must have something similar out there! Anyone else??

Jun 10, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #367 of 740
I have a hum related problem, but I don't think it's a ground loop issue. I tried ferrites all over the place, no luck. I tried switching cables around, no luck. Put everything on the same power source (Furman PL-8 II conditioner) and tried different outlets...no luck. This hum is ONLY noticable on input #1, and only with the volume at 85-100 (with nothing playing on the source, of course). I tried switching to input #2, with everything else the same, and it's still there, but much less so. I suspected it was coming from my source, but if I unplug the coax from my source, it was still there. Unplugged the DAC power...still there. Not sure if something's wrong with the inputs on the amp now. If it IS something in my chain, would ferrites on the RCAs between my DAC and amp degrade SQ? I've heard it's generally NOT a good idea to put them on ICs.

Jun 10, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #368 of 740
I haven't followed this thread lately. Have anyone done any real comparison between LD MKV and other "similar" priced SS amps? Thinking especially about G-Lite and VHP2 + VAC1 (though both are more expensive, maybe even twice as). What I'm asking is if anyone (like me) have the money for a G-Lite, would that person gain anything by choosing LD MKV instead?

Jun 10, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #369 of 740
Yup, I'm very interested in this too!

Jun 10, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #370 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a hum related problem, but I don't think it's a ground loop issue. I tried ferrites all over the place, no luck. I tried switching cables around, no luck. Put everything on the same power source (Furman PL-8 II conditioner) and tried different outlets...no luck. This hum is ONLY noticable on input #1, and only with the volume at 85-100 (with nothing playing on the source, of course). I tried switching to input #2, with everything else the same, and it's still there, but much less so. I suspected it was coming from my source, but if I unplug the coax from my source, it was still there. Unplugged the DAC power...still there. Not sure if something's wrong with the inputs on the amp now. If it IS something in my chain, would ferrites on the RCAs between my DAC and amp degrade SQ? I've heard it's generally NOT a good idea to put them on ICs.

I am just wondering why would you run your amp at 85 to 100% volume! My source is pretty weak (a Squeezebox) and I usually never go over 40%. Any amp at that level of volume will make some hum. The annoying noise is the one I can hear with the volume at 0 without my source connected. Yes I am using low impedance cans 32 and 80 ohm. Usually those IC are the poor quality types.

Jun 10, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #371 of 740
LOL, no, I don't listen to it that loud...I'm normally in the 30-40 range...plenty loud there.

Jun 10, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #372 of 740
i used to have the same problem as you using low impedance headphones on the mkv. the way i see it there are two ways to overcome this noise problem, #1 try an impedance adapter for your low impedance can or #2 use higher impedance phones like senn hd-650 thats the option i choose.

Jun 10, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #373 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by cafe zeenuts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i used to have the same problem as you using low impedance headphones on the mkv. the way i see it there are two ways to overcome this noise problem, #1 try an impedance adapter for your low impedance can or #2 use higher impedance phones like senn hd-650 thats the option i choose.

I am having a impedance adapter coming, while it will fix the problem, I am wondering how the sound signature will be affected! There is no way I am changing headphones! I will post my findings when it arrives!

Jun 11, 2008 at 9:48 AM Post #375 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey Massacre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am having a impedance adapter coming, while it will fix the problem, I am wondering how the sound signature will be affected! There is no way I am changing headphones! I will post my findings when it arrives!

That is also what I exactly did. I ordered a 120 ohm impedance adapter which will hopefully fix the small hum issue. The hum itself isn't overly annoying, but I can hear it using my Proline 750 and I cannot help but notice this very slight hum during very quiet music passages.

I love the very accurate nature of my Proline 750 and I very much hope that the impedance adapter will not change that characteristic in any way. If this adapter solves this issue, then I think Little Dot should change their recommended headphone impedance level from "32 ohm ~ " to something like "120 ohm ~ " for the MK V. In any case, I will also post my findings once I have the adapter installed and tried out to its fullest extent.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back