Review of Little Dot MKV Dual Mono Solid State Headphone Amplifier
May 16, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #241 of 740
Yeah, I'm no expert in this, but IMO since the design is separate all the way from power supply, isn't kinda moot to have an unbalanced TRS jack in the end?

Can only hope that both channels aren't "merged" early.

May 16, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #242 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by Navyblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I'm no expert in this, but IMO since the design is separate all the way from power supply, isn't kinda moot to have an unbalanced TRS jack in the end?

Can only hope that both channels aren't "merged" early.

My understanding is that this type of design produces far less noise, and is completely separated until the jack. With a single ended jack, more buyers can benefit from this design. One thing is certain, it is a very quiet and dynamic amp. Both of these properties are excellent and this is due to the dual mono setup.

May 16, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #243 of 740
Hello guys,

I have gone through the 25 pages of this post, I will have some questions. I recently sold my M^3 with bass boost and 637BP/627BP op-amps combination. I found this amp to be too warm with my Beyer's 770's.

I currently own Darth's V3 and V3XD which are modded 770's. I also have a recabled BlackDragon 325i. The Darth's are on the darkside, I would say they be shinning with good SS amping, a detailed bright sounding amp would be preferred, I am wondering if the MKV would fit the bill...

Basically I am looking for a solid-state amp in the price range of sub 500$. I am currently waiting for my custom built PPA to be built (bass boost, crossfed, impedance switch and so on). So in the meaning time I this amp has gotten my attention... also I have been looking at the Meier offering. Is there anyone around that can compare this Little dot amp with others relatively in the same range?

Thanks for your feedback,

Charles

May 17, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #244 of 740
I am currently using a simple Home Rig of Denon CDP > Firestone's Cute Beyond > Beyer DT990 (250ohms, 2005ed).
redface.gif

Though the Cute Beyond has got power aplenty, I do believe there are other budget amps which can offer better sound. Which led me to read all I could find about the MK V in head fi.
confused.gif

I am wondering if it would be a significant upgrade to the SQ in replacing the Cute Beyond? Anyone with experience of either or both the Cute Beyond and LD MK V can advise here?
wink.gif

Thanks in advance.
tongue.gif

May 17, 2008 at 10:55 AM Post #245 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by tristram /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am currently using a simple Home Rig of Denon CDP > Firestone's Cute Beyond > Beyer DT990 (250ohms, 2005ed).
redface.gif

Though the Cute Beyond has got power aplenty, I do believe there are other budget amps which can offer better sound. Which led me to read all I could find about the MK V in head fi.
confused.gif

I am wondering if it would be a significant upgrade to the SQ in replacing the Cute Beyond? Anyone with experience of either or both the Cute Beyond and LD MK V can advise here?
wink.gif

Thanks in advance.
tongue.gif

I own both Cute Beyond and LD Mk V, but I doubt my opinion will be very helpful as I use HD650s.

For what it's worth, I actually prefer the Cute Beyond. The LD is almost too neutral for the 650, making a rather bland, too-laid back combination. With the 650, the Cute Beyond brings out more detail, more mid-range timbre, just a more lifelike sound to my ears (I listen to classical/orchestral exclusively). I'm not saying the Cute Beyond is superior overall, simply that it sounds better in this situation, to my ears and with my music. Nevertheless I will go so far as to say: don't underestimate the Cute Beyond. It's easy to be deceived by its size and the fact it's op-amp based, but it's a real sleeper.

You're now where I was a month ago, thinking that if something this size and with so few components can sound this good, something much bigger and with far more components must sound proportionately better. Well, it won't. And remember, headphones need only a few millivolts, so size and power output don't have the same impact as with speakers. The cute beyond is a bargain, so don't discard it without listening to the alternatives very carefully.

May 17, 2008 at 11:53 AM Post #246 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by pp312 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own both Cute Beyond and LD Mk V, but I doubt my opinion will be very helpful as I use HD650s.

For what it's worth, I actually prefer the Cute Beyond. The LD is almost too neutral for the 650, making a rather bland, too-laid back combination. With the 650, the Cute Beyond brings out more detail, more mid-range timbre, just a more lifelike sound to my ears (I listen to classical/orchestral exclusively). I'm not saying the Cute Beyond is superior overall, simply that it sounds better in this situation, to my ears and with my music. Nevertheless I will go so far as to say: don't underestimate the Cute Beyond. It's easy to be deceived by its size and the fact it's op-amp based, but it's a real sleeper.

You're now where I was a month ago, thinking that if something this size and with so few components can sound this good, something much bigger and with far more components must sound proportionately better. Well, it won't. And remember, headphones need only a few millivolts, so size and power output don't have the same impact as with speakers. The cute beyond is a bargain, so don't discard it without listening to the alternatives very carefully.

eek.gif
Thanks for your good timely advice, phew.
cool.gif

Head-fi is not a wallet-friendly place to be... Lol :p It's been some time since my purchase of a home amp and though the Cute Beyond is not too bad for music and female vocals, I find it does not sound as well with male vocals and that the sound's rather sterile at times, even when compared with some of my portable amps which seemed to give a warmer sound and better musicality.

After readng much about the LD MK V, I had the impression that the detail level was much higher than the Cute Beyond due to it being a Dual Mono amp and posted reviews that it was dead silent, cleaner, can hear better separation... all leading to my interest in this budget amp that might just do it for me. It's a home amp, amongst top of LD's range, well received by audiophiles here and yet costs a fraction of a R.S. portable!

So it's back to more fact-finding for me. I highly suspect the saved funds will just form part of a Predator purchase. Maybe, just maybe. Lol.
frown.gif

May 17, 2008 at 1:51 PM Post #247 of 740
I have Little Dot MK II and MK V. The MK V very neutrally sounds, I can only confirm. DT880 Edition 2005 do not sound at all so well with MK V. However, with MK II sounds quite clearly better. However, my HD650 sounds much better with MK V than with MK II.

As to comparison МК 5 with other amplifiers I think, that МК 5 is constructed by principle Beyerdynamic A1. In my opinion they are very similar, МК 5 is little bit more difficultly constructed.

Little Dot V
MK%205%20Iso.jpg

001.jpg

Beyerdynamic A1
ifa_2006_beyerdynamic_A1_600.jpg

May 17, 2008 at 2:07 PM Post #248 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by tristram /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eek.gif
Thanks for your good timely advice, phew.
cool.gif

Head-fi is not a wallet-friendly place to be... Lol :p It's been some time since my purchase of a home amp and though the Cute Beyond is not too bad for music and female vocals, I find it does not sound as well with male vocals and that the sound's rather sterile at times, even when compared with some of my portable amps which seemed to give a warmer sound and better musicality.

After readng much about the LD MK V, I had the impression that the detail level was much higher than the Cute Beyond due to it being a Dual Mono amp and posted reviews that it was dead silent, cleaner, can hear better separation... all leading to my interest in this budget amp that might just do it for me. It's a home amp, amongst top of LD's range, well received by audiophiles here and yet costs a fraction of a R.S. portable!

So it's back to more fact-finding for me. I highly suspect the saved funds will just form part of a Predator purchase. Maybe, just maybe. Lol.
frown.gif

Don't take my post as a warning not to buy the LD MkV. It may well suit your phones and your listening taste, and you certainly couldn't call it poor value for money! I'm just warning against assuming it will necessarily be better than the Cute because it's bigger and more expensive. There are other factors involved.

I'm intrigued by your description of the Cute as occasionally sterile. If anything I'd have said that it veered toward the lively rather than sterile. Also I'm not sure how an amp can be good with music and female vocals but poor with male vocals unless its frequency response is wildly irregular. I suspect this may be due more to your phones or your expectations. While I found the only portable I've been exposed to (a Cmoy) very thin and bassless, the Cute is far from that, at least with the stock OPA 2227 op amp. And here's another point in its favour: the ability to roll op amps to get the sound you want. I wonder if you've experimented in this area at all.

Anyhow, don't let my comments turn you off the LD; just keep collecting opinions and see what the general trend is. Others here swear by the LD with HD650, so maybe it's MY ears that are at fault.

May 17, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #249 of 740
There are a lot of factors that can give different outcomes. Quality of the source, DAC Opamps and the like, which headphones are being used, and so on.

As an example, if I play an MP3 file at 320, through my DAC to the MKV, it sounds degraded. At any other time, using the same setup, but using lossless WAV format files, the MKV will blow my socks off! One little thing trips up the end result. A decent SS amp is supposed to amplify without changing the source. This is what the MKV does. It is all about "purity". Other SS amps, this is not always the case.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 17, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #250 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by pp312 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't take my post as a warning not to buy the LD MkV. It may well suit your phones and your listening taste, and you certainly couldn't call it poor value for money! I'm just warning against assuming it will necessarily be better than the Cute because it's bigger and more expensive. There are other factors involved.

I'm intrigued by your description of the Cute as occasionally sterile. If anything I'd have said that it veered toward the lively rather than sterile. Also I'm not sure how an amp can be good with music and female vocals but poor with male vocals unless its frequency response is wildly irregular. I suspect this may be due more to your phones or your expectations. While I found the only portable I've been exposed to (a Cmoy) very thin and bassless, the Cute is far from that, at least with the stock OPA 2227 op amp. And here's another point in its favour: the ability to roll op amps to get the sound you want. I wonder if you've experimented in this area at all.

Anyhow, don't let my comments turn you off the LD; just keep collecting opinions and see what the general trend is. Others here swear by the LD with HD650, so maybe it's MY ears that are at fault.

No worries. I am not put off to buy a MK V or any amp just because of your opinion. If anything, it just made me all the more interested to hear one for myself where possible.
wink.gif

Moreover, it really is some some good value at its price and I do believe different people have different preferences. Just like I preferred a Predator over a Pico, perhaps many choose to think the opposite.
tongue.gif

Honestly, you only helped put things into perspective by sharing your views and advice. I do not just act by others' suggestions but make my own decisions... especially when it means spending some hard earned cash. Lol.
redface.gif

I very much agree about SQ can sound good or bad because of synergy from software (music) and/or hardware... or even my ears, perhaps even moods may affect how I perceive them.

Actually I hate to describe sound, and I know it's so difficult to do so well. I really admire a lot of you guys here who do so well at it and making useful amp reviews and comparisons. Guys like skylab, jamato8, penchum and ... (just to name a few).

I have not tried op amp rolling as yet. And I have my concerns about maintenance of a tube amp too. But I might just end up getting both MK V and IV like thread starter (looks so nice together too! and good for different presentation of the SQ) someday.

Sorry if I had strayed off topic for this post. Perhaps I should make a holiday trip to somewhere in China where I could try the LD MK series out and get one I like. Till then, Cute Beyond rules just yet.

Thanks.
biggrin.gif

May 17, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #251 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by GSRFliege /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have Little Dot MK II and MK V. The MK V very neutrally sounds, I can only confirm. DT880 Edition 2005 do not sound at all so well with MK V. However, with MK II sounds quite clearly better. However, my HD650 sounds much better with MK V than with MK II.

As to comparison МК 5 with other amplifiers I think, that МК 5 is constructed by principle Beyerdynamic A1. In my opinion they are very similar, МК 5 is little bit more difficultly constructed.

Little Dot V
MK%205%20Iso.jpg

001.jpg

Beyerdynamic A1
ifa_2006_beyerdynamic_A1_600.jpg

Oh my goodness, the MK V looks so very lovely from the pics... I 've heard the A1 at Jaben shop and it's marvellicious too. And hey, they do seem pretty similar now when I look at them. But the MK V is so much more affordable. Lol.
tongue.gif

What I worry now is that it may be the warmer tube sound of perhaps a MK tube amp was what I am more looking for rather than a SS amp.
confused.gif

May 17, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #252 of 740
Quote:

The MK V very neutrally sounds, I can only confirm. DT880 Edition 2005 do not sound at all so well with MK V. However, with MK II sounds quite clearly better.

Just curious, why does the MKV sound so bad with the DT880? Both of them are supposed to be very neutral. When they are together, is it just too revealing or sibilant? What's actually wrong there?

May 18, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #253 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by bananas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is nothing to be surprised with if the Cute Beyond sounds better than the MkV with the HD650.

The Cute Beyond has all it needs for a headphone amp to sound great: class-A power transistors, DC coupled, opamp that can be replaced with something better than the OPA2227...

Not to hijack this thread, but I'd be interested in others' experience of what IS better than the 2227. I've tried AD823 and 797 and don't consider them better overall. The 797 I could not reliably pick from the 2227; the 823 had a more extended treble and sounded good overall but could be just too bright on some CDs. I've seen other op amps mentioned, never the same one in two consecutive posts, but really the 2227 is a pretty good choice overall, and very detailed. And from my limited experience, I'm not sure the op amp represents more than 5% of the sound anyway. The Cute is always the Cute no matter what op amp you use.

May 18, 2008 at 10:26 AM Post #254 of 740
ILikeHeadphones
DT880 sounds too neutrally with МК 5. On my taste too neutrally and boringly. But it only my opinion.
pp312
In occasion of OpAmp I think that they in general give nothing. I too tried OPA2111 and AD8066 but I have not felt a difference. Most likely, МК 5 it is simple Discreet it is constructed. Where OpAmp do not influence a sound signal. Otherwise would not stand in МК 5 OpAmp for 50 cents.

Beyerdynamic A1 is, by the way, a Discreetly built up amplifier.

May 18, 2008 at 1:44 PM Post #255 of 740
Quote:

ILikeHeadphones
DT880 sounds too neutrally with МК 5. On my taste too neutrally and boringly. But it only my opinion.

Well, this pretty much how I feel about the Mk V/HD650; to my ears it's just not a good match. The HD650 needs a lively amp and the Mk V isn't lively, despite some comments here to that effect. In fact when I first listened to it I was surprised, as after reading all the posts here I was expecting a quite sharp, even harsh sound until full burn in. Instead I heard what I can only describe as a tube-like sound: full, warm, somewhat indistinct and with a laid back treble. Since then it's had at least a hundred hours burn in but I can't in all honesty say that the sound has changed dramatically; it still sounds like a tube amp to me. Which is fine with the right headphone--maybe an AKG 701 or one of the better Grados. I'd be interested to hear how other phones sound with the Mk V and what are the best matches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back