Review of Little Dot MKV Dual Mono Solid State Headphone Amplifier
Feb 20, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #91 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by robert_cyrus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
return on my review of the MKV - I've decided to take an alternative tack on the usual review, and that is the following:
I'm used to a relatively expensive amp/speaker system, which if you wanted to buy brand new would be £4000 that's nearly $8000 of amplification (pre amp, separate power supply, 2 monoblock amplifiers) and £3600 of floorstanding speakers (that's another $7000). not to mention the "trick" cabling.

Now I'm using the same source, and feeding this into a headphone amp that cost me £180.

Do I feel disappointed in the sound reproduction?

No

There you have it. £180 of headphone amp keeps me happy, and I normally use amplification alone that amounts to over 20 times the cost.

Well, it's kind of a review .....

At a minimum, it is validation. I appreciate the comparison, because this is what I found with my expensive vintage equipment. Here I have all this equipment and many headphone amps, and I'm drawn to the MKV automatically. My wife comes in and says, "If you are not going to listen to that tube amp over there, I'll take it and use it". Then I have to convince her that I do listen to all of them.
biggrin.gif
I know eventually, I'm going to have to give up one of these for her use, but it will not be the MKV.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 21, 2008 at 1:06 PM Post #94 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by diab0lik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so are you giving up the mk ivse to the wife?

Quote:

Originally Posted by spookygonk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
or are you going to give up the wife?
wink.gif

If I'm lucky, she'll get the LDII++.
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #95 of 740
I wish the MK V had one of those +/- dB analog meters on each channel that are found on vintage audio systems. I have no clue what they do, but they look cool when that needle bounces.

I always wanted one of those.
biggrin.gif

Feb 22, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #96 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by gdl357 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish the MK V had one of those +/- dB analog meters and each channel that are found on vintage audio systems.I have no clue what they do, but they look cool when that needle bounces.

I always wanted one of those.
biggrin.gif

Someone was selling a power meter unit, using replica round analog power meters. I just can't remember where I ran into them! It would be nice if it was scaled down to show the power output of your headphone amp.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'd grab one up in a second!
biggrin.gif

Mar 2, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #97 of 740
I'm still interested in hearing from anyone using the MK V with my AKG 701. I'd be looking to to use the MK V in place of RSA Hornet in my home system. Any comments on MK V vs. Hornet would be helpful too.

Mar 3, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #100 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aptom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, man! I want to go MKV. But why the shipping fee is so expensive on ebay?

It's true, the unit itself is heavy, but, if you use PayPal direct, you can get a discount. Here is what the Little-Tube site says: "$8 USD discount on order when purchasing via direct PayPal invoice!" All you have to do is email them your request and they send you a PayPal notice for payment. That helps counter the higher shipping cost, somewhat.
smily_headphones1.gif

The unseen part of the shipping issue, is that it is EMS shipping, which is extremely fast and reliable. Well worth a few more bucks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #101 of 740
Hi Penchum,
Thank you very much for this really interesting review. I'm very interested in buying a unit for my HD650. Please could you tell me if it's worthwile for someone who already owns a NAD C320BEE. What kind of improvement will bring this Little Dot ? Thanks a lot for your advices.

Mar 6, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #102 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by Halx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Penchum,
Thank you very much for this really interesting review. I'm very interested in buying a unit for my HD650. Please could you tell me if it's worthwile for someone who already owns a NAD C320BEE. What kind of improvement will bring this Little Dot ? Thanks a lot for your advices.

Hi Halx,

I couldn't find any information on the headphone amp section of your NAD. I assume it isn't bad, just not what you'd like to have. If you are listening to really good clean sources through your NAD, then the MKV would compliment what you have going. If you hooked the MKV up to the NAD, via a "record out" jacks, you would be able to listen to any source you have hooked up to the NAD. The NAD is clean and dynamic, the MKV is clean and dynamic. I'm pretty sure they would be a great match up. The MKV has plenty of power to drive your HD-650s fully, so that won't be an issue either. I have my MKV hooked up to my Pioneer SPEC1 pre-amp, and I love being able to listen to any source. Even though the SPEC1 is Vintage, they still match up really well.
I hope this helps some!! Have a good one!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 7, 2008 at 11:11 AM Post #103 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are in sockets, here:

MKVOpamps.jpg

Have a good one!
smily_headphones1.gif

hey guys, joining in this thread late. Am just trying my HP-DX1000s with this and I notice the background hiss as 'dual' mentioned before. anybody else hearing hissssss? and yes, its there even with no sources connected.

also, its been asked twice already I see, going thru the whole thread, but still no info regarding op-amp rolling? anything suitable to replace the MC33071s with? datasheet here:
MC3307BP datasheet, MC3307BP datasheets, MC3307BP datenblatt, MC3307BP manual, MC3307BP data sheets, MC3307BP pdf - :: ALLDATASHEET ::
(click 2nd, not the first pdf)

I think I'll email David and ask him as well!

Mar 8, 2008 at 3:26 PM Post #105 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by ablaze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
bump!

What ohms rating do you have?

Also, it is pretty much agreed that the default Opamps are so good, there is no need to roll in something else. It would be nice to know, but most are spending their time enjoying the MKV.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back