Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Jul 14, 2016 at 1:43 AM Post #2,821 of 3,060
You can try the FLC8s. Head-fi is going a bit crazy for it right now. But I doubt it'll be any great improvement over such a fantastic IEM, like the iM03.

Agreed. I have both currently in my rotation. For me the FLC8s is better (sound and comfort are better, and I like the tuning capabilities), but not by a huge margin. The IM03 and FLC8s swim in the same waters for sure. 

Jul 29, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #2,823 of 3,060
I have the IM02 and love them.

I'm looking for a headphone that has similar sound sig as them. Can anyone recommend?

Thanks.

Jul 29, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #2,824 of 3,060
I have the IM02 and love them.

I'm looking for a headphone that has similar sound sig as them. Can anyone recommend?

Thanks.

Maybe the ATH-MSR7?

Jul 29, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #2,827 of 3,060
Jul 30, 2016 at 12:54 AM Post #2,828 of 3,060
Quote:

Maybe the ATH-MSR7?

Thanks I will take a look. :)

Are you using the IM02 with the X1 or E12A?

What's your budget?
Open-back or closed-back?

Both X1 and E12A.

X1 Line-out -> E12A -> IM02

Budget >$400

No strong preference of closed or open.

<$400 it is, isn't it? 
wink.gif

The MSR7 might indeed be worth a consideration - however, it could probably be a little too bright up top and isn't particularly the most realistic headphone with trumpets. Its midrange is also more comparable to the Fidue A83's than the IM02's (vocals more on the brighter side of neutral (MSR7 more than A83)). But it is an excellent headphone (but doesn't noticeably harmonise best with all types of music).

If you can, I'd recommend to also audition the Sennheiser HD 650, Oppo PM3, HiFiMan HE-400S and probably also Meze 99 Classics. Just as the IM02, their treble is a bit south of neutral.

If your budget was higher, I would have probably recommended  the Audeze LCD-X. Just in case you'd think of making a bigger step one day. 
beerchug.gif

Jul 30, 2016 at 4:05 AM Post #2,830 of 3,060

<$400 it is, isn't it? 
wink.gif

The MSR7 might indeed be worth a consideration - however, it could probably be a little too bright up top and isn't particularly the most realistic headphone with trumpets. Its midrange is also more comparable to the Fidue A83's than the IM02's (vocals more on the brighter side of neutral (MSR7 more than A83)). But it is an excellent headphone (but doesn't noticeably harmonise best with all types of music).

If you can, I'd recommend to also audition the Sennheiser HD 650, Oppo PM3, HiFiMan HE-400S and probably also Meze 99 Classics. Just as the IM02, their treble is a bit south of neutral.

If your budget was higher, I would have probably recommended  the Audeze LCD-X. Just in case you'd think of making a bigger step one day. 
beerchug.gif

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm actually looking at HD600/HD650 and HE-400S before I posted the qns but I haven't listened to any of them. Just wanted to explore more options. :)

Audeze LCD-X is definitely a step to endgame I guess. haha

Jul 30, 2016 at 4:12 AM Post #2,831 of 3,060
  Did anyone purchase the Audio Technica AT-HDC5 cable for the IM series? Is there any improvement in the sound or just look better? Or anyone has suggestion about cable since the IM cable is not quite comfortable? Thanks

I'm also looking into upgrade cables for my IM02 but I don't think the HDC5 looks better. I've heard good things about them though. You might wanna look into Nobunaga and Lunashop's cables. I think the Lunashop's cables are really pretty. I haven't had the chance to try any of the cables so I can't comment on the sound quality.

I think there are a few reviews of Lunashop's cables in this thread. :)

Jul 31, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #2,834 of 3,060
Do u experience any sound changing?

Do you not consider "loud" an aspect of sound?

I'm not sure why his cable would make the IM04 less loud, unless there was a bizarre amount of resistance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back