Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Nov 29, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #1,306 of 3,060
have you had a chance to listen to the ie80? I heard that it was bassy but detailed. I'm more of a discerning bass head
tongue.gif
I find myself liking my havi more than my vsd3 to be honest. the ie80s have a crazy soundstage like the havi. thats what has me interested. first world problems
tongue.gif

Yeah, I did. While the bass and sounstage was quite big, the mids somewhat seemed veiled/recessed and not too much detailed to me. 

Nov 29, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #1,307 of 3,060

Yeah, I did. While the bass and sounstage was quite big, the mids somewhat seemed veiled/recessed and not too much detailed to me. 

Hmm thank you for the comparison, pretty much rules out the IE80 for me. The IE80 would be $260 CDN with tax whereas the IM70 would be around a hundred. For the price of an IE80 I can basically get the B6 and IM70. Win win lol. Thanks :)  Going to be looking hard at EBAY to see if I can find a deal for <100. 

Dec 2, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #1,308 of 3,060
Today i got my new IM70. Sounds easier after IM02. For me there is no problems anymore in upper mids when woman sing almost screaming. Unfortunately i don't have IM03 anymore and i can't compare them head to head. It's has more low-freq sounds. Can't say more right now.
I want to make it more beatiful. 
Can anyone say anything about the custom handmade wires?
http://ru.aliexpress.com/item/Tennmak-earphone-detachable-cable-with-microphone-remote-for-TF10-5PRO-W4R-UM3X-IE8-IE80-HD600-SR940/2035753451.html

Dec 2, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #1,309 of 3,060
  Today i got my new IM70. Sounds easier after IM02. For me there is no problems anymore in upper mids when woman sing almost screaming. Unfortunately i don't have IM03 anymore and i can't compare them head to head. It's has more low-freq sounds. Can't say more right now.
I want to make it more beatiful. 
Can anyone say anything about the custom handmade wires?
http://ru.aliexpress.com/item/Tennmak-earphone-detachable-cable-with-microphone-remote-for-TF10-5PRO-W4R-UM3X-IE8-IE80-HD600-SR940/2035753451.html

Is "more beautiful" a higher priority for you than better sound quality? :wink:  These are nice looking cables, but it's a regular copper cable that just going to make it look better, but not improve the sound.  My vote is for higher quality silver-plated cables from lunashops, cheaper too.

off-topic, it was funny to read RU link above in russian, and I actually had to switch to english to understand better the description :)

Dec 2, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #1,311 of 3,060
  Thank you.
I hoped someone has this shiny beautiful wire.
Of course sound is more important :)

Sorry for link.
By the way - auto translating works so bad that i prefer to read all in original.

I ordered the same cable for my IM70 too. Hasn't arrived yet, but I got it in black and red like this with a remote. The description isn't very clear, but the seller is great and quick to respond to any questions.

I asked him what the cable is made from, and he said that some of the cores of the cable are made from "single-crystal copper", which is technically OCC, but not officially, and some of the cores are made from "single-crystal silver". I have no idea what effect this will have on sound, but I guess I'll find out. I just got it because of the useful remote, and ofcourse, it looks pretty!
tongue.gif

I'll post my opinions once it arrives.

Dec 2, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #1,313 of 3,060

Yes it would be great. Hope you will get it soon and tell us about sound changes.

Main question for me -  how to wear that cable behind an ear? No "memory function".

p.s. This cable without a microphone and controls cost more than with it.

Judging by the pictures, there will be a clear plastic tubing over the cable where it's supposed to go over the ears. I don't know if it has "memory" of any kind, but again, I'll find out soon enough. 

And yeah, if you don't need a remote, go for the cable without one. They also have a cable with 8 cores (this one has 6). Again, not sure what difference this makes to sound. Either way, it's worth a shot, since it's around the same price as buying the official Audio Technica replacement cable with remote (AT-HDC1iS)

Dec 4, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #1,314 of 3,060
Beat Audio (http://www.beataudiocables.com/) now has connectors for the ATH-IMxx series. I just received a Silver Sonic MKV cable with an AK240 balanced 2.5mm plug. Can't wait to try it.

Dec 4, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #1,315 of 3,060
So is there a concensus or some idea of what the best tips are for the IM02? I'm using the larger single flange tips at the moment and they fit pretty well and sound nice. But I'm always open for more options. 

Dec 4, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #1,316 of 3,060
  So is there a concensus or some idea of what the best tips are for the IM02? I'm using the larger single flange tips at the moment and they fit pretty well and sound nice. But I'm always open for more options. 

UE600, Philips 3590 and Sony MH650 tips work very well for me. UE600 tips are my preffered tips.

Dec 4, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #1,317 of 3,060

UE600, Philips 3590 and Sony MH650 tips work very well for me. UE600 tips are my preffered tips.

Which version of the UE600 tips? I see there are a few options (Isolation, Active, etc)

Dec 4, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #1,319 of 3,060

Silicone tips

Ok cool. Are you specifically referring to the big $22 dollar silicon pack, or is it specific to the UE600? (I would post the link but I'm not sure if that's allowed here).

Dec 4, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #1,320 of 3,060
  Ok cool. Are you specifically referring to the big $22 dollar silicon pack, or is it specific to the UE600? (I would post the link but I'm not sure if that's allowed here).

I don't know. They came with UE600vi. Sure, you can post the link. It is allowed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back