Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Dec 12, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #1,337 of 3,060
I'm not looking for more bass, I would like to get another model that does not lack bass. For instance I had the SE215 and to me that lacked bass at least to me.

I haven't tried the CKR10, so I can't comment on that. I wouldn't recommend the CKR9 though, it's a fairly shrill and analytical IEM, and it doesn't hit very hard. If you're looking for something for Hip Hop  and the likes, I think you'll be happy with the Sennheiser IE80. It has a dial that lets you adjust the amount of bass. Even at medium settings, it's quite powerful. It doesn't have the same clarity as the CKR9, but the sound stage is wide and the overall profile is buttery smooth. 

Dec 12, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #1,338 of 3,060
Coming from TDK BA200 . Also owned the TF10 and the Klipsh X10.

Out of these 3, I prefer the BA200 the most . ( neutral , good enough bass, comfortable )
TF10 is too V shaped and most lousy fitting.
X10 the bass is superb. BA200 to me the most all rounder.

I'm looking at something that can be powered easily by my iPhone 5s and I would like to get something that has more drivers than my existing line of IEMs. Which one is an upgrade to me?

Thanks.

Dec 12, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #1,339 of 3,060
Coming from TDK BA200 . Also owned the TF10 and the Klipsh X10.

Out of these 3, I prefer the BA200 the most . ( neutral , good enough bass, comfortable )
TF10 is too V shaped and most lousy fitting.
X10 the bass is superb. BA200 to me the most all rounder.

I'm looking at something that can be powered easily by my iPhone 5s and I would like to get something that has more drivers than my existing line of IEMs. Which one is an upgrade to me?

Thanks.

Sounds like you'd want the IM03.

Dec 12, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #1,341 of 3,060
  I haven't tried the CKR10, so I can't comment on that. I wouldn't recommend the CKR9 though, it's a fairly shrill and analytical IEM, and it doesn't hit very hard. If you're looking for something for Hip Hop  and the likes, I think you'll be happy with the Sennheiser IE80. It has a dial that lets you adjust the amount of bass. Even at medium settings, it's quite powerful. It doesn't have the same clarity as the CKR9, but the sound stage is wide and the overall profile is buttery smooth. 

Yeah, I don't really feel like the CKR9 is a great hip-hop IEM either. I find it great with R&B with its beautiful vocals though. CKR10 might be good though. I thought he was talking about ATH models in particular so didn't suggest anything outside of that.

Dec 13, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #1,344 of 3,060
  Has anyone compared the IM50 to the Vsonic VSD3S before? If so, what's the verdict? (Sorry for being late to the party!)

I don't have the IM50, but I do own a IM70 and VSD3S, and the former is leaps and bounds ahead in build quality. The build of the IM50 is essentially the same, so I assume that would be the case with that IEM as well. 

Dec 13, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #1,345 of 3,060
  I don't have the IM50, but I do own a IM70 and VSD3S, and the former is leaps and bounds ahead in build quality. The build of the IM50 is essentially the same, so I assume that would be the case with that IEM as well. 

Oh, that's good to hear. How about the sound quality, the more important part? :) 

Dec 13, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #1,346 of 3,060
  Oh, that's good to hear. How about the sound quality, the more important part? :) 

VSD3S is clearer and has a much more sizzly treble which can sound artificial. The VSD3S is maybe a tad more spacious, but not by much. IM50 has much nicer mids and a fuller, warmer bass. Treble is smoother by a mile. As said above build goes easily to IM50. I think that overall, they're right neck and neck with each other depending on what you like. If you want a more U-shaped sound with bright treble, you'd like the 3S. If you like a bassier, mid-centric sound with a smooth treble, you'll like the IM50. 

Dec 13, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #1,347 of 3,060

VSD3S is V shaped While IM50 is U shaped as Zap said. When you switch from IM50 to VSD3S, you will immediately notice that the vocals are muted and some kind of veiled on VSD3S and the treble being shrill.

Dec 13, 2014 at 1:00 AM Post #1,348 of 3,060

VSD3S is V shaped While IM50 is U shaped as Zap said. When you switch from IM50 to VSD3S, you will immediately notice that the vocals are muted and some kind of veiled on VSD3S and the treble being shrill.

That's not what Zap said. 
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 13, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #1,349 of 3,060

VSD3S is clearer and has a much more sizzly treble which can sound artificial. The VSD3S is maybe a tad more spacious, but not by much. IM50 has much nicer mids and a fuller, warmer bass. Treble is smoother by a mile. As said above build goes easily to IM50. I think that overall, they're right neck and neck with each other depending on what you like. If you want a more U-shaped sound with bright treble, you'd like the 3S. If you like a bassier, mid-centric sound with a smooth treble, you'll like the IM50. 

Interesting. Thanks for that. Would you guys say that it would be worth having both to complement each other? 

And also, ozkan, did you say that the VSD3S would sound more veiled as opposed to the IM50? Because if the VSD3S is supposedly veiled-sounding, then I think I'm going to enjoy the clarity that the IM50 would bring to the table. :) 

On a side note, this cable looks sexy as, has anyone tried it? 
(http://www.ebay.com/itm/Technica-IM04-03-02-01-70-50-Silver-headphone-cable-1-3m-upgrade-/301378070552?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item462b886818 )

Dec 13, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #1,350 of 3,060

Interesting. Thanks for that. Would you guys say that it would be worth having both to complement each other? 

And also, ozkan, did you say that the VSD3S would sound more veiled as opposed to the IM50? Because if the VSD3S is supposedly veiled-sounding, then I think I'm going to enjoy the clarity that the IM50 would bring to the table. :) 

I'd say if you want two complimenting headphones, I'd get something more neutral or analytical to contrast those two. The VSD3S sounds clearer because of the bright treble, but also sounds more artificial and harsh for that reason. The vocals are more forward and better on the IM50, but I wouldn't really call the VSD3S veiled; more recessed. If I were going to buy both of them, I'd just get the IM70, which is a more refined IM50 with a better bass, better image, better separation, and better channel matching. It's superior to both of them by a good bit. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back