Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Aug 4, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #901 of 3,060

Would it be fair to say that CKR9 is slightly warmer than IM03 but not as dark as IM04 in terms of tonality?

Difficult to say. I think the difference in warmth between IM03 and CKR9 is not much. From memory recollection, difficult for me to say which one sounds warmer.

Aug 5, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #902 of 3,060
I'm think of getting either im70 or im03 for the iPhone5s. The music I listen are usually trance live recordings or pod casts. What's everyone's recommendation?

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #903 of 3,060

Would it be fair to say that CKR9 is slightly warmer than IM03 but not as dark as IM04 in terms of tonality?

I would say that the IMO3 is slightly warmer. CKR9 has slightly better prat and detail.
I have not heard the IM04.

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #904 of 3,060
only had a brief listen to IM50, and the pin inside the IEM left side broke, shiish, talk about durability

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #905 of 3,060
I'm think of getting either im70 or im03 for the iPhone5s. The music I listen are usually trance live recordings or pod casts. What's everyone's recommendation?

I would go with the IM03. Unlike others here, I was never impressed with the IM70. Will probably sell it soon.

Why was I not impressed? Just didn't live up to the hype, sounded like it fit nicely within it's price category, but not more so, unlike the IM03, which really shines. Also, didn't like the build on the IM70.

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #906 of 3,060
I have the im50 and find the bass underwhelming. This IEM is overrated 
blink.gif
 I even prefer the Sony Mh1C, LOL.

Aug 5, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #908 of 3,060

I would go with the IM03. Unlike others here, I was never impressed with the IM70. Will probably sell it soon.

Why was I not impressed? Just didn't live up to the hype, sounded like it fit nicely within it's price category, but not more so, unlike the IM03, which really shines. Also, didn't like the build on the IM70.

It shines even more with lunashops silver plated replacement cable.  I think that IM03 combo and Havi B3Pro I are two of my favorite IEMs at the current moment.

Aug 5, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #909 of 3,060
  I have the im50 and find the bass underwhelming. This IEM is overrated 
blink.gif
 I even prefer the Sony Mh1C, LOL.

Well, there is no one gear suits everyone. I have my HD800 for years, and never really like it, and always annoyed with the treble peak. Over rated? I don't know, maybe just me.

As for the IM50, I did wrote quite clear in my review:
"ATH-IM50 & ATH-IM70 have excellent, big and powerful bass, with very beautiful vocal sound. Bass head & vocal lovers should try these models."

They have big and powerful bass, so for those looking for clear and transparent sounding IEM, IM50 and IM70 definitely won't fit their sonic preferences.

But looking at so many happy users here... is it over rated?  I'm not very sure about that... 
wink_face.gif

It shines even more with lunashops silver plated replacement cable.  I think that IM03 combo and Havi B3Pro I are two of my favorite IEMs at the current moment.

I've ordered the lunashops silver plated replacement cable, waiting for delivery now.  Thanks for your review!

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #910 of 3,060

I've ordered the lunashops silver plated replacement cable, waiting for delivery now.  Thanks for your review!

Btw, I'm also getting this cable: http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=4344 - I know it's not going to improve a sound quality, but it has an advantage of switchable android/ios in-line remote/mic and no memory wire.  I figured IM03 is more for in-home quality listening so higher quality cable is more appropriate.  IM50 is on the go or while working out where I don't want to miss a call.  Will be interesting to see how that braided cloth shielding going to work without a cable cinch.  Will make a write up once I get it.

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #911 of 3,060

Btw, I'm also getting this cable: http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=4344 - I know it's not going to improve a sound quality, but it has an advantage of switchable android/ios in-line remote/mic and no memory wire.  I figured IM03 is more for in-home quality listening so higher quality cable is more appropriate.  IM50 is on the go or while working out where I don't want to miss a call.  Will be interesting to see how that braided cloth shielding going to work without a cable cinch.  Will make a write up once I get it.

Looks like a nice tangle free cable with mic.
Let us know if the mic quality is acceptable.
Thanks!

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #913 of 3,060
Thanks for the replies guys. My next question: Is the iPhone 5s strong neigh to drive the im03 without an amp?

Aug 6, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #914 of 3,060
Guys, I'm going to buy IM 02 this weekend. I'm seriously thinking to buy the replacement cable with mic, which is the HDC1is. My usage is to make phone calls with smartphone and skype video calls on laptop with this IEM. I think using the in-line-mic will be better than the laptop's mic, specifically Surface Pro 3. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyone here tried this cable?
Does this cable with mic affect the sound quality compared to the stock cable?
And is the microphone good?
Btw, I see there is no shirt clip in the cable, so does it make noise when the cable rubs against the shirt?
How is the overall build quality of this cable? It looks cheap plasticky, especially on the button part.
Is there only one button?

Please share your experience for those who have this cable. Or do you guys have any other alternatives to suggest if I want to make phone calls with this IEM?

Aug 6, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #915 of 3,060
Guys, I'm going to buy IM 02 this weekend. I'm seriously thinking to buy the replacement cable with mic, which is the HDC1is. My usage is to make phone calls with smartphone and skype video calls on laptop with this IEM. I think using the in-line-mic will be better than the laptop's mic, specifically Surface Pro 3. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyone here tried this cable?
Does this cable with mic affect the sound quality compared to the stock cable?
And is the microphone good?
Btw, I see there is no shirt clip in the cable, so does it make noise when the cable rubs against the shirt?
How is the overall build quality of this cable? It looks cheap plasticky, especially on the button part.
Is there only one button?

Please share your experience for those who have this cable. Or do you guys have any other alternatives to suggest if I want to make phone calls with this IEM?

I guess you missed my post above? :) http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=4344 - waiting to receive it.  I have ordered other cables from lunashops with in-line remote/mic and mmcx connector in the past.  Always great quality, but don't expect any sound improvement.  You just get a bonus of smartphone control, which in case of those cables I ordered in the past was volume up/down that worked with Samsung!  The one in the link doesn't have volume control, just universal multi-function button for playback control and call control with mic, and it also has a switch to select between android and ios.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back