Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Aug 2, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #886 of 3,060
ok, thank for your explanation, different people may have different feeling about the earphone
gs1000.gif

Aug 2, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #887 of 3,060
Sorry, MTPC is monster turbine pro copper. How would you compare the CKR9 to IM04 or IM50?

They are all very different in their sound signature. IM04 too warm for me. IM50 and IM70, ones might like IM50 tonality, but overall sound quality, CKR9 is better.

Aug 2, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #888 of 3,060
This is from my experience with both small and large drivers. No theory, just my observation.
What's more important is not the driver size, but the design of the housing.  Designing housing for large driver is much more difficult. And often I hear more of housing resonant from large drivers IEMs, and less on the small drivers.
Smaller drivers can be placed deeper into the ear canal, therefore reducing any possible reflections from the driver to ear membrane.
Look at the micro drivers IEM (6 mm or less), many of them (I have around 9 of them), has much better imaging and clarity than the large drivers, due to less reflections of the sound wave from the driver to the ear membrane.  And they have no problem reaching the low bass extension either, since they are placed closer to the ear membrane, they don't need to have large diameter membrane to produce low bass.

Microdriver IEM's are some of my favorites. You can see there is definitely something to them as well considering more and more mid-tier and top tier products are utilizing them.

Sennheiser IE800, Monster miles Davis trumpet, jvc fxt90, JVC fxz100/200, jvc fxd60/70/80, martin Logan mikros 70, Sony mh1c,Audio technica CKN70, Shure SE215, Yamaha EPH100, TDK IE800, westone ADV ALPHA, KEF M200.

For anyone who would like to speak more on microdriver, please continue in this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/694968/a-roundup-of-microdriver-iems

Aug 2, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #890 of 3,060
  Your reviews are helpful. Please don't stop writing!

Between IM03, IM04, CKR9, CKR10, which has the least bright highs, the most open sounding, and the most neutral? 

He would probably state that the ckr9s have the least bright highs. But the im03s are the second closest iems that have it, and is more neutral than the ckr9 due to better control of the upper midrange.

The bass of the ckr9s bests the im03 in his opinion though. So there's that.

Aug 3, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #892 of 3,060
Microdriver IEM's are some of my favorites. You can see there is definitely something to them as well considering more and more mid-tier and top tier products are utilizing them.

Sennheiser IE800, Monster miles Davis trumpet, jvc fxt90, JVC fxz100/200, jvc fxd60/70/80, martin Logan mikros 70, Sony mh1c,Audio technica CKN70, Shure SE215, Yamaha EPH100, TDK IE800, westone ADV ALPHA, KEF M200.

For anyone who would like to speak more on microdriver, please continue in this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/694968/a-roundup-of-microdriver-iems

Thanks for the link!

Your reviews are helpful. Please don't stop writing!

Between IM03, IM04, CKR9, CKR10, which has the least bright highs, the most open sounding, and the most neutral? 

Thanks for the encouragement!
Tonality, IM03 is the best IMHO. Bass texture and dynamic, CKR9 is the best.
IM04 and CKR10 maybe about the same in treble softness.  Well we cannot have open sounding IEM without a little bit of treble brightness.  As long as it is airy and transparent, treble should be friendly to the ears. What we want to avoid is peaky and harsh treble.

... im03s are the second closest iems that have it, and is more neutral than the ckr9 due to better control of the upper midrange.

The bass of the ckr9s bests the im03 in his opinion though. So there's that.

+1
I agree.

Aug 3, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #893 of 3,060
  So far IM03 looks like the best choice for me. 

What about analytical? From the review it seems IM03 is more analytical on some amps and IM04 more on other amps? And how would IM03 compare to CKR9 in details? 

IM03 is not analytical.  More musical I would say.
Detail wise, probably about the same as CKR9.  Where IM03 has better upper mid to treble detail, and CKR9 better on low mid and bass detail. Not easy to choose between the 2. Both are excellent IEMs.

Aug 4, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #897 of 3,060
thanks for your info....because i saw some review said that im0 series better pair with amp only can produce good sound....dont know im70 will have this type of problem or not...

Aug 4, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #900 of 3,060

IM03 is not analytical.  More musical I would say.
Detail wise, probably about the same as CKR9.  Where IM03 has better upper mid to treble detail, and CKR9 better on low mid and bass detail. Not easy to choose between the 2. Both are excellent IEMs.

Would it be fair to say that CKR9 is slightly warmer than IM03 but not as dark as IM04 in terms of tonality?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back