Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Aug 12, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #931 of 3,060
Stock tips didn't fix, swapped to sony hybrid for good seal.

After owning im02 for 2 weeks the sounds of the base is tighter and trebles are smoother.

With a flat braided cable swap from Taobao which I ordered through a friend, the treble was increased especially around the 5-8k range and the bass became a tint smoother.

Pairs well with the Hidizs AP100 dap for very neutral, clear, transparent and analytical sound

Aug 12, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #932 of 3,060
I have to blind buy my first iem. Due to my illness (heart disease, diabetes, and high blood pressure), I'm not good to go for audit. So please kindly give me some advise.

My system now is Jriver 19 -> North Star DSD DAC -> Woo WA7 -> ATH-W5000

My problem is that W5000 seem too heavy for me now.

Please advise which one in IM series suit my taste.

1. Sweet vocal (mid). (I love mid sound of W5000, ESW11LTD, Mad Dog, and Alpha Dog)
2. sparkle high but not piercing
3. good details but not analytical
4. not too much bass for all day listening

Thanks in advance for any comment

Please feel free if there is another choice.

Aug 12, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #934 of 3,060
You're better off going the CIEM route. 1964 V3 sounds right up your alley. You'd normally start to spend more money the more you get into the hobby; seeing the experience you have with other headphones I wouldn't dare recommending something of lesser quality than the V3.  

Aug 12, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #935 of 3,060
  I have to blind buy my first iem. Due to my illness (heart disease, diabetes, and high blood pressure), I'm not good to go for audit. So please kindly give me some advise.

My system now is Jriver 19 -> North Star DSD DAC -> Woo WA7 -> ATH-W5000

My problem is that W5000 seem too heavy for me now.

Please advise which one in IM series suit my taste.

1. Sweet vocal (mid). (I love mid sound of W5000, ESW11LTD, Mad Dog, and Alpha Dog)
2. sparkle high but not piercing
3. good details but not analytical
4. not too much bass for all day listening

Thanks in advance for any comment

Please feel free if there is another choice.

I suggest IM03.

Aug 13, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #936 of 3,060
  ^ I suggest IM03.

I suggest IM03.

Thanks earfonia and twister6

You're better off going the CIEM route. 1964 V3 sounds right up your alley. You'd normally start to spend more money the more you get into the hobby; seeing the experience you have with other headphones I wouldn't dare recommending something of lesser quality than the V3.  

1964 V3 was my first choice. I already prepare my custom artwork. But I have to drive for one and a half hour to make impression, I think I can't do this with my current condition. Anyhow, when I get better, if I don't satisfy with UIEM, I will try CIEM. Thanks
MartinDF

Aug 13, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #938 of 3,060
AT-HDC5/1.2.

Oh my. I just purchased these (literally unpacked them minutes ago), and maybe it's just because they are new, but I can hear a huge difference in my IM02. 

The first thing you hear is the change in soundstage. The soundstage seems like it has expanded outwards, towards the left and right of the listener, more than forwards and backwards (or up and down). The much wider soundstage maintains the already excellent instrument seperation of the IM02.

The second noticeable difference is the change in treble. Treble becomes a bit more prominent, clarity increases, ALMOST to the point of being sibilant. For me this is very sensitive territory. One little push in the upper frequencies, and cymbals, "S"s, etc become unpleasant. This was only noticeable in poorly recorded songs. If you have songs in which you can barely handle treble spikes, this cable MIGHT make you cringe. Thankfully not me. 

Lastly, I can't comment on bass too much. I've just (minutes ago) started using this cable and frankly, the initial impressions above stand out more than anything else. It might have improved some, but the change pales in comparison to those of the soundstage and treble.

I am very happy with this acquisition, and while I can not speak for the cable of Lunashops (which I also considered, and believe has the same, or similar effect), I can only recommend this product whole heartedly. 

Aug 13, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #939 of 3,060
Whenever I stop a video or the video finishes on YouTube, there are sometimes one or two "pop" noise. This noise also occurs when I'm using chrome. Is this called electrical hissing noise that usually occurs with highly sensitive/ low impedance IEM such as IM 02?

FYI, I'm using IM 02 on ipad.

Update: I'm also able to create the "pop" noise by bringing up and down the keyboard in ipad.

Aug 13, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #940 of 3,060
  AT-HDC5/1.2.

Oh my. I just purchased these (literally unpacked them minutes ago), and maybe it's just because they are new, but I can hear a huge difference in my IM02. 

The first thing you hear is the change in soundstage. The soundstage seems like it has expanded outwards, towards the left and right of the listener, more than forwards and backwards (or up and down). The much wider soundstage maintains the already excellent instrument seperation of the IM02.

The second noticeable difference is the change in treble. Treble becomes a bit more prominent, clarity increases, ALMOST to the point of being sibilant. For me this is very sensitive territory. One little push in the upper frequencies, and cymbals, "S"s, etc become unpleasant. This was only noticeable in poorly recorded songs. If you have songs in which you can barely handle treble spikes, this cable MIGHT make you cringe. Thankfully not me. 

Lastly, I can't comment on bass too much. I've just (minutes ago) started using this cable and frankly, the initial impressions above stand out more than anything else. It might have improved some, but the change pales in comparison to those of the soundstage and treble.

I am very happy with this acquisition, and while I can not speak for the cable of Lunashops (which I also considered, and believe has the same, or similar effect), I can only recommend this product whole heartedly. 

Yeah, due to analytical nature of IM02, I always worried higher quality cable will push it over the sibilance limit :)  Depending on your ear tolerance, it could be right on a borderline.  With IM50, the effect of replacement cable has more impact on low end.  I think IM03 is where it hits the sweet spot!  But as it was pointed out by others, IM03 is more expensive (though a different sound signature to in comparison to IM02).

Aug 13, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #942 of 3,060
Yeah, due to analytical nature of IM02, I always worried higher quality cable will push it over the sibilance limit :)  Depending on your ear tolerance, it could be right on a borderline.  With IM50, the effect of replacement cable has more impact on low end.  I think IM03 is where it hits the sweet spot!  But as it was pointed out by others, IM03 is more expensive (though a different sound signature to in comparison to IM02).

Hey, I read your review of the Lunashop cable!
I'm definitely very sensitive to the treble in my IM02 right now, but I think I'll try it out a bit longer. I can always switch to Comply Foam's TX500. These tips seem to tame treble while increasing bass.

I still can't get over the increase of spatial projection that comes with these cables. Initially I found the soundstage unsettling, since I didn't associate it with my IM02. I checked multiple times if the IEM had dropped out of my ear, because I found the sound coming from farther away than I thought was physically possible (when taking the distance of the driver to the ear into consideration). The sound originated from a location that was farther away than the driver itself!

I've gotten used to it now! Still enjoying the cable. Will have to do some direct comparisons to the stock cable one I get home.

Aug 15, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #945 of 3,060
This is an excellent review. Just got the IM07, really pleased.

Glad you like it! 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back