Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Feb 17, 2014 at 2:12 AM Post #76 of 3,060
  Loved, loved, LOVED, your review of the four meng!!

Looks like I wasn't the only one to enjoy such beauties that is the im-02s....

they're better than the ck10s, and have a bit more bass to boot!

Too bad the build quality is a huge stepdown...

Great comparisons, makes me want to try out the im50/im70s now.

But I have the fostex to buy and compare against these im-02s!

Thanks vlenbo!
What do you mean by the build quality is a huge stepdown?  So far I have no problem with their build & quality 
smile.gif

Feb 17, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #78 of 3,060
Got a pair of the IM70s to replace the terribly disappointing Shure 215 SEs, and I'm loving these! The 50/70s aren't neutral by any stretch of the imagination, but while bass and treble are accentuated everything is still crystal clear. The 70s are a touch cheaper than the 215s and outpace them in every respect, for what the 70s and 50s cost these are an absolute steal. I still hate the memory cable but I guess I'll learn to live with it. Stock tips aren't great either but I transplanted the Sony hybrids from a cheap pair of Sony EX10Ls onto my 70s and those work great.

Feb 17, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #79 of 3,060
Thanks for the great review!

A quick question though - right now I use HiFiMAN 601+T-Peos H200 and I'd like to know, if ATH-IM70 will be an upgrade or downgrade for my setup? I am more of a hybrid/pure dynamic signature fan, so I don't consider 01-04 series an option.
I really enjoy good vocals, folk and rock music with an occasional drum'n'bass or trip-hop splash...

Feb 17, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #80 of 3,060
Some nice matching with IM50!
smily_headphones1.gif

Really nice! 
normal_smile .gif

Got a pair of the IM70s to replace the terribly disappointing Shure 215 SEs, and I'm loving these! The 50/70s aren't neutral by any stretch of the imagination, but while bass and treble are accentuated everything is still crystal clear. The 70s are a touch cheaper than the 215s and outpace them in every respect, for what the 70s and 50s cost these are an absolute steal. I still hate the memory cable but I guess I'll learn to live with it. Stock tips aren't great either but I transplanted the Sony hybrids from a cheap pair of Sony EX10Ls onto my 70s and those work great.

I hope 3rd party will come with compatible cable without the memory wire. I also prefer without memory wire on the cable.

Thanks for the great review!

A quick question though - right now I use HiFiMAN 601+T-Peos H200 and I'd like to know, if ATH-IM70 will be an upgrade or downgrade for my setup? I am more of a hybrid/pure dynamic signature fan, so I don't consider 01-04 series an option.
I really enjoy good vocals, folk and rock music with an occasional drum'n'bass or trip-hop splash...

Right now when writing this reply, I'm listening to Hifiman 601 Slim 8G + ATH-IM50, and enjoying them 
etysmile.gif
  Quite a good pair, rich and organic sounding 
normal_smile .gif

All the IEMs already returned to AT, so at the moment I don't have IM70 with me, and I didn't try IM70 with Hifiman 601. I only have my IM50 with me.
But from my experience with IM70, Hifiman 601 should be able to drive them nicely, as IM50 & IM70 are easy to drive. With IM50 on 601, my listening volume only around 4 or less.
As whether it will be an upgrade to the T-Peos H200, I'm not sure, as I don't have experience with T-Peos H200. But whether it is an upgrade or not, most likely you won't be regretted with IM50 or IM70, paired with HM-601.

Feb 17, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #83 of 3,060
Wonderfully written ! 
Your review was very detailed and I appreciate your time and effort for writing it :)
As an owner of the IM70, I can say that I fully agree with what you said, and now I want to try the IM03. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #85 of 3,060

Thanks vlenbo!
What do you mean by the build quality is a huge stepdown?  So far I have no problem with their build & quality 
smile.gif

The build and quality is still pretty good, but...I've been spoiled...

the ck10s have both rubber and titanium housing, it's also smaller and rounder.

These are blocky, somewhat bigger, and plastic. 
tongue.gif

It's more of a preference actually, lol. I should have said aesthetics, sorry. Most people, I believe, think that the aesthetics are basically build quality, I'm one of them. haha 

Feb 17, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #86 of 3,060
  Great reviews and interesting thread 
beerchug.gif

Wonderfully written ! 
Your review was very detailed and I appreciate your time and effort for writing it :)
As an owner of the IM70, I can say that I fully agree with what you said, and now I want to try the IM03. 
biggrin.gif

Thanks guys! 
beerchug.gif

The build and quality is still pretty good, but...I've been spoiled...

the ck10s have both rubber and titanium housing, it's also smaller and rounder.

These are blocky, somewhat bigger, and plastic. 
tongue.gif

It's more of a preference actually, lol. I should have said aesthetics, sorry. Most people, I believe, think that the aesthetics are basically build quality, I'm one of them. haha 

I see 
tongue.gif

Right, they are mostly plastic, less of exotic materials. They are in the 'Professional Monitors' line, so I guess AT made them less fashionable, more of 'professional' look 
cool.gif

Although I still don't get it why IM70 only available in red color.... professional line should at least have the choice for black color... 
cool.gif

Feb 17, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #87 of 3,060
This is such a great effort and write up. Thank you.
beerchug.gif

Feb 17, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #88 of 3,060
Whoa, very very informative review there!

So far my favourites are:
IM50 (smooth, bold sound, forward vocal, very nice for mainstream song)
IM03 (clear and spacious yet still smooth and full bodied sounding)
IM04 - Like it the most! (I think if ATH want to make Senn HD650's sound in IEM then this one is the result, not exactly same character though, but have similiarity)

Feb 17, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #89 of 3,060
  Whoa, very very informative review there!

So far my favourites are:
IM50 (smooth, bold sound, forward vocal, very nice for mainstream song)
IM03 (clear and spacious yet still smooth and full bodied sounding)
IM04 - Like it the most! (I think if ATH want to make Senn HD650's sound in IEM then this one is the result, not exactly same character though, but have similiarity)

What about IM02? Does it have similarities to AT CK10 if you have heard that?

Feb 17, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #90 of 3,060

Are the memory cables as bad as the ones on the SE215? I recently got rid of those because they were hard to fit and the memory cable was too darn stiff.

How's the SE215 compared to the IM50 / IM70 sound? SE215 is about the max amount of bass I can stand in an IEM. Perhaps I should go the IM01 / IM02 route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back