Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Feb 17, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #91 of 3,060
Thanks for the write up. Now what to get? I just spent 60,000 yen on my first audiophile set up. Cans, dac, and amp. My wife and wallet are not happy. No way I am forking out the cash for the imo4 or imo3. But I will have enough change in my change jar to pick up any of the other models. I just got the odac and o2.
People were asking about price. Just check out amazon japan. The imo2 is going for about 15,000 yen and the im70 for about 10,000. The imo3 a little over 32,000 and the imo4 for 43,000
Just FYI 10,000 yen is about 100$ usd.

I think the imo2 would be cooler to add to my tiny collection. But I think the im70 would pair with my musical tastes more.
But then again, I did just get the m100 cans. Pretty bassy. Maybe something not so base heavy would be a nice change to try out. I won't be able to add new gear often. I am rather poor. So getting a wider variety of gear is probably better.

Anyway. Thanks again for the detailed review.

Feb 17, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #92 of 3,060

What about IM02? Does it have similarities to AT CK10 if you have heard that?

When paired with low output impedance amp / player, IM02 is way better than CK10. I have CK10, but already spoiled one side, so this is based on memory.

Feb 17, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #93 of 3,060

Are the memory cables as bad as the ones on the SE215? I recently got rid of those because they were hard to fit and the memory cable was too darn stiff.

How's the SE215 compared to the IM50 / IM70 sound? SE215 is about the max amount of bass I can stand in an IEM. Perhaps I should go the IM01 / IM02 route.

If SE215 bass is your max, IM70 bass has more body, fuller, and extend lower. And IM50 has even bigger bass although not by much. So maybe IM50 and IM70 would be out of your choice. You should try IM02 with low Out Z player, sound way way better than SE215.

Thanks for the write up. Now what to get? I just spent 60,000 yen on my first audiophile set up. Cans, dac, and amp. My wife and wallet are not happy. No way I am forking out the cash for the imo4 or imo3. But I will have enough change in my change jar to pick up any of the other models. I just got the odac and o2.
People were asking about price. Just check out amazon japan. The imo2 is going for about 15,000 yen and the im70 for about 10,000. The imo3 a little over 32,000 and the imo4 for 43,000
Just FYI 10,000 yen is about 100$ usd.

I think the imo2 would be cooler to add to my tiny collection. But I think the im70 would pair with my musical tastes more.
But then again, I did just get the m100 cans. Pretty bassy. Maybe something not so base heavy would be a nice change to try out. I won't be able to add new gear often. I am rather poor. So getting a wider variety of gear is probably better.

Anyway. Thanks again for the detailed review.

IM70 to me is a good all-rounder. Meaning, even with great variety of personal preference, I think most people will like IM70 sound signature, and probably won't regret purchasing it. But you should try IM50 as well, depending on your recording, it might be a better value. I really like IM50 for my Stockfisch recordings, especially played through Hifiman HM-601. Really a good match. So if your music is close to Stockfisch type (a lot in YouTube), most probably you would love IM50 and IM70. But if you listen often to classical, IM70 is a better choice then IM50, and IM02 is even better.

Feb 17, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #94 of 3,060
Are the memory cables as bad as the ones on the SE215? I recently got rid of those because they were hard to fit and the memory cable was too darn stiff.

How's the SE215 compared to the IM50 / IM70 sound? SE215 is about the max amount of bass I can stand in an IEM. Perhaps I should go the IM01 / IM02 route.

The memory wires are slightly longer than Se215 but more flexible. I find it easier to fit due to the absence of the swivel connection. Cable is definitely better built than Se215.

Bass wise both IM50/70 triumphs Se215 and Se215ltd in all directions. Be it bass impact, quantity, slam, sub bass presence etc. If Se215 bass is your max tolerant then IM50/70 will be way too much for you.

Feb 17, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #95 of 3,060
Epic post man. Are you at all related with headfonia?

Anyway, has anyone compared ath-im70 vs re400? (& maybe even the ath-m50 even though it's apples to oranges)

Feb 17, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #96 of 3,060

If SE215 bass is your max, IM70 bass has more body, fuller, and extend lower. And IM50 has even bigger bass although not by much. So maybe IM50 and IM70 would be out of your choice. You should try IM02 with low Out Z player, sound way way better than SE215.

IM70 to me is a good all-rounder. Meaning, even with great variety of personal preference, I think most people will like IM70 sound signature, and probably won't regret purchasing it. But you should try IM50 as well, depending on your recording, it might be a better value. I really like IM50 for my Stockfisch recordings, especially played through Hifiman HM-601. Really a good match. So if your music is close to Stockfisch type (a lot in YouTube), most probably you would love IM50 and IM70. But if you listen often to classical, IM70 is a better choice then IM50, and IM02 is even better.

Gotta say, I'm really loving and appreciating your impressions. Thanks.

Feb 17, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #97 of 3,060

Gotta say, I'm really loving and appreciating your impressions. Thanks.

beerchug.gif

Epic post man. Are you at all related with headfonia?

Anyway, has anyone compared ath-im70 vs re400? (& maybe even the ath-m50 even though it's apples to oranges)

Mike is a friend of mine. a few years ago I did post 1 or 2 reviews on Headfonia. But we live in different country, so we don't meet often.

Feb 17, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #98 of 3,060

Nah, like xaddictionx mentioned, the IM70's memory cable ends do not swivel so getting them to fit is a little bit easier. Still annoying, but no less annoying than any other IEM with memory cables, I suppose.

IM70 bass actually punches harder than the 215, but it's clean and not all muddy and farty like the 215. Mids and treble are a marked improvement on the IM70, hell, they're even fine on the 50, and that's half the cost of the 215.

Feb 18, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #99 of 3,060
Just ordered some im70s, they'll import from Japan in a few weeks and then I get to lay my ears on these red beauties. I'm looking forward to a budget IEM that's better than the 215s with a signature that will help cover the other side of the spectrum my GR07s don't hit.

Feb 18, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #100 of 3,060
Fantastic review!

Very excited about these.

I'll probably get the ATH-IM50's for mobile use as soon as they are available :)

Feb 18, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #101 of 3,060

beerchug.gif

Mike is a friend of mine. a few years ago I did post 1 or 2 reviews on Headfonia. But we live in different country, so we don't meet often.

I'm gonna be a cheap ass, and ask you if I can have your review up on my blog site, with credits provided properly

Feb 18, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #102 of 3,060
earfonia, thanks for flying the Singa flag! Great review, and you've piqued my interest to try the IM02 and IM03 now. Picked up the IM70 from Stereo - really enjoying it. It can definitely hold its own against some of my more expensive IEMs, and for the money its really hard to think of something that comes close. I'm especially impressed by the soundstage, its really very wide. Stereo imaging is superb. Great job with the review!

Feb 18, 2014 at 3:37 AM Post #104 of 3,060

Yes, with some low Out Z amps, it may produces treble peaks.  But what I don't understand, not all low Out Z amps causing harsh treble. For example the Hifiman HM-901 with the Minibox amp module, although it does sound brighter than DACport for IM03, but in a nice way.  Try IM03 with DACport (10 ohms), they pair really well :)
Unfortunately for those using AK100 (20 ohms), they won't agree that IM02 is the best value for them :) IM02 on high impedance sources sounds rather metallic on the treble. But with low Out Z sources, it sounds wonderful!

Thanks again for your thoughts. Unfortunately I really cant see myself using anything other than the X3 as a source in the near future, and with the X3 the IM03 sounded quite metallic. One of the reasons why I got the X3 was to not use a portable amp in the first place! 

I am really, really tempted to get the IM02 even though I bought the IM50 already. I know I liked it a lot when fed from my X3 but still trying to justify the possible purchase LOL! Not good for my wallet.........

I remember you stating somewhere they are usually under 10% discount, do you mind telling me where you saw the discount?

Feb 18, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #105 of 3,060
Thanks again for your thoughts. Unfortunately I really cant see myself using anything other than the X3 as a source in the near future, and with the X3 the IM03 sounded quite metallic. One of the reasons why I got the X3 was to not use a portable amp in the first place! 

I am really, really tempted to get the IM02 even though I bought the IM50 already. I know I liked it a lot when fed from my X3 but still trying to justify the possible purchase LOL! Not good for my wallet.........

I remember you stating somewhere they are usually under 10% discount, do you mind telling me where you saw the discount?

Stereo is having the 10% discount on purchases with OCBC credit/debit cards. Until end of this month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back