Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Feb 16, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #61 of 3,060
Hmm... I had a really short session with the IM 01-04, with a well-recorded classical piece, through only the iPhone 4S.
Obviously this isn't enough to come to any strong conclusions but I prefer the IM02 overall as its clarity and transparency 
absolutely obliterated its peers, the W4 and the 535. 

Feb 16, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #62 of 3,060
Wow. Amazing review. Nice job my man! Can't wait to try these out as I've always wanted to try an audio technica iem. Reds a bit flashy though, but otherwise cool.

Feb 16, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #63 of 3,060
Thanks for letting me know where they are made, lately I've been buying stuff made either in Germany (Bayerdynamic, and may be I get the Stagediver-3), Japan (Vintage amps) or USA (vintage speakers), Thnaks!

Feb 16, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #64 of 3,060
  Hmm... I had a really short session with the IM 01-04, with a well-recorded classical piece, through only the iPhone 4S.
Obviously this isn't enough to come to any strong conclusions but I prefer the IM02 overall as its clarity and transparency 
absolutely obliterated its peers, the W4 and the 535. 

They all sound different with different sources, so the best is to test with the player that you're going to use with it.  IM02 is the best value for the BA drivers, and also the favorite model, here in Singapore.

Wow. Amazing review. Nice job my man! Can't wait to try these out as I've always wanted to try an audio technica iem. Reds a bit flashy though, but otherwise cool.

Exactly! Actually, that's my only complain for the IM70. I really like them, but why only in red?  IM50 has 2 colors black and white, why IM70 only red?  I'm rather conventional guy not so fancy with red color earphone 
tongue_smile.gif

Thanks for letting me know where they are made, lately I've been buying stuff made either in Germany (Bayerdynamic, and may be I get the Stagediver-3), Japan (Vintage amps) or USA (vintage speakers), Thnaks!

You're most welcome!

Feb 16, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #66 of 3,060
I'm definitely missing something, where can I pick these models up/purchase them from for a reasonable amount in the US? Amazon is pretty spendy compared to what I suspect their Japanese street value is, even with shipping.

Feb 16, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #68 of 3,060

Exactly! Actually, that's my only complain for the IM70. I really like them, but why only in red?  IM50 has 2 colors black and white, why IM70 only red?  I'm rather conventional guy not so fancy with red color earphone 
tongue_smile.gif

Until now, I didn't realize the IM70's only come red - and a fairly bold red at that lol! I think that my decision between the 50's and the 70's has gotten a bit easier.

Feb 16, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #70 of 3,060

thanks, but i still don't find where to buy in us, want to try them first

That's because Japanese phones are released in, well, Japan
tongue.gif
. Later on they come to foreign markets like the U.S. Sometimes they don't if they want to keep certain models only for the home market. The previous dual armature models, CK90 PRO and PRO MK II, were not released here, IIRC.

I do suspect this may change due to the new design that is similar to other brands like Westone and Shure. But if they bring them over it won't be for a while.

Feb 17, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #72 of 3,060

The official price for IM02 is S$ 258 or around US$ 205. But shops usually give around 10% discount, so slightly cheaper than current Amazon price.

im not sure if im reading it right, but schiit magni output impedance is <0.1 ohm? 
confused_face_2.gif

Feb 17, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #73 of 3,060
  im not sure if im reading it right, but schiit magni output impedance is <0.1 ohm? 
confused_face_2.gif

Wow, really?  Anyway, very low output impedance is not always the recipe for good pairing. IM01 and IM03 for example, they don't like to be paired with too low output impedance.
But <0.1 ohm is great achievement technically.

Being a desktop amp, is Schiit Magni good enough for earphone?  Any detectable noise?

My Yulong DA8 has slight soft noise with IEM, but not to the annoying level.  The Violectric V200 is quiter.

Feb 17, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #74 of 3,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by earfonia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wow, really?  Anyway, very low output impedance is not always the recipe for good pairing. IM01 and IM03 for example, they don't like to be paired with too low output impedance.
But <0.1 ohm is great achievement technically.

Being a desktop amp, is Schiit Magni good enough for earphone?  Any detectable noise?

My Yulong DA8 has slight soft noise with IEM, but not to the annoying level.  The Violectric V200 is quiter.

soft noise on re400 occasionally when no music is played, other than that, none

though low impedance, the power output is what it is famous for
Quote:
 Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db, 2Hz-200KHz, -3dB
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 1.2W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 1.0W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 260mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 130mW RMS per channel
THD: Less than 0.005%, 20Hz-20KHz, at 1V RMS
IMD: Less than 0.007%, CCIF
SNR: Greater than 100db, unweighted, referenced to 1V RMS
Crosstalk: -70dB, 20 Hz-20KHz
Output Impedance: Less than 0.1 ohms
Gain: 5 (14db)
Topology: Fully discrete FET/bipolar, Class AB, DC coupled throughout
Protection: Standard failsafe DC power input and muting relay
Power Supply: “Wall wart” style 16VAC transformer, regulated +/- 15V rails
Power Consumption: 4W
Size: 5 x 3.5 x 1.25”
Weight: 1 lb

Feb 17, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #75 of 3,060
Loved, loved, LOVED, your review of the four meng!!

Looks like I wasn't the only one to enjoy such beauties that is the im-02s....

they're better than the ck10s, and have a bit more bass to boot!

Too bad the build quality is a huge stepdown...

Great comparisons, makes me want to try out the im50/im70s now.

But I have the fostex to buy and compare against these im-02s!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back