Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Feb 15, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #46 of 3,060
songs mainly are as mentioned above. I am a bit of the detail freak

just for reference I love my unique melody miracle and hifiman re400 even more

IM02 + very low Out Z amp / player.
Close your eyes, with IM02 you could virtually see the players.

Feb 15, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #50 of 3,060
@earfonia, I just wanted to say that your review was one of the best I have ever read. Thanks a lot.

After reading it, the lust is now strong in me for either the IM50 or IM70 (not sure which yet).

Thanks again!

Feb 15, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #51 of 3,060
omastic: I tried the im03, and I recall hearing a "metallic" sound signature. Perhaps that is the peak you described?

Yes, may be what you are calling a "metallic" sound signature is interpreted as harshness by my ears. It seems my ears are very sensitive to it as I simply could not listen to them for more than few minutes at one go!! 

I just got myself the IM50 which I am enjoying a lot! Very fun sounding while not being excessively coloured. 

Thanks again for such a detailed, in depth review mate!

Feb 15, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #54 of 3,060
earfonia: I thought you said they were "neutral", not "natural"? It seems we are using terms very differently, and this will likely lead to a discussion on neutrality and whether it is knowable. Let us simply agree that the new line is very good value for money.

omastic: I didn't write the review!

Feb 15, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #56 of 3,060

IM02 + very low Out Z amp / player.
Close your eyes, with IM02 you could virtually see the players.

suitable to use with hippo cricri+ ?

Feb 16, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #58 of 3,060

can someone confirm if they are all made in Japan please!

On the IM03 box that my brother bought, it is indicated as made in Japan.
On the IM50 box I bought, no indication where it is made in.

I had a short discussion with Audio Technica staff from Japan, last December in Singapore. This is the info I got from him:
From IM01 to IM04, all BA drivers are developed and made in house by Audio Technica, and no sharing of BA driver between models. Meaning, BA driver of IM01 is dedicated for IM01, and not used in other model. Likewise for IM02, IM03, and IM04. Audio Technica developed 10 dedicated BA drivers for the new IM line.
But he didn't mention where AT do the assembly of the new IM series.  
As for the IM50 and IM70 I don't have information about the manufacturing.

From what I can say after spend some time with all the 6 models for more than 2 weeks, and bought the IM50 for myself, I have no concern at all to the quality of the earphones. They all have very good quality.

Amazing review, haven't seen something this clear-cut and informative in a long time.

I think after my HF5 dies I'll have to try the IM02...

@earfonia, I just wanted to say that your review was one of the best I have ever read. Thanks a lot.

After reading it, the lust is now strong in me for either the IM50 or IM70 (not sure which yet).

Thanks again!

Thank you! 
smile.gif

earfonia: I thought you said they were "neutral", not "natural"? It seems we are using terms very differently, and this will likely lead to a discussion on neutrality and whether it is knowable. Let us simply agree that the new line is very good value for money.

omastic: I didn't write the review!

Ah I see... 
normal_smile .gif
 Sorry for that, English is not my mother tongue, so pardon me for my bad English
redface.gif

I think we all have some differences when describing neutrality..., and I refer more to natural sound for neutrality. For me it is simply, when vocal and the acoustic instruments sound natural to my ears, no strange frequency artifact, and dynamic sounds realistic, that's I consider as natural. Give and take overall tonal balance tend to be slightly darker or brighter.
As for the AT new line is very good value for money, I definitely agree with that! Maybe with the exception of IM04 that I think rather pricey 
wink_face.gif

suitable to use with hippo cricri+ ?

Not sure about that.

Feb 16, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #60 of 3,060
  If I love the bright sound of the Phonak PFE series, and the Beyerdynamic DT880s, what would be the IEM in this range that best suits my sound taste?

Definitely IM02 & IM03 
wink_face.gif

I think they are not as smooth as the Phonak, but has more sparkling treble like the DT880s.
Though they are not really similar in sound signature, just for comparison, maybe IM03 closer to Phonak, and IM02 closer to DT880. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back