Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Feb 19, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #121 of 3,060
  Truly a great review you have here, very nice work

Thanks!

Does IM02 sound well when it is coupled with the iBasso Dx50?
By the way,thank you for that great review !!

iPhone 'den Tapatalk aracılığı ile gönderildi

I don't have experience with DX50 so far. But from their website:
http://www.ibasso.com/en/products/show.asp?ID=81
It is stated to have <0.5 ohm output impedance, so I guess it should pairs well with IM50.

One of the greatest reviews ive seen for any product! I had a question do you think the IM-50 work well with rock? 

Thanks! Someone asked me through pm before, and unfortunately I cannot give the answer. I don't listen to rock, so I don't know what IEM is good for it. Also I heard with some type of rock, people don't like to have too much low bass, and prefer faster sounding signature. So, I really have no answer for it. Maybe other Head-Fier that listen more to rock might be able to give some advice. 

Feb 19, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #124 of 3,060

Thanks again for your thoughts. Unfortunately I really cant see myself using anything other than the X3 as a source in the near future, and with the X3 the IM03 sounded quite metallic. One of the reasons why I got the X3 was to not use a portable amp in the first place! 

I am really, really tempted to get the IM02 even though I bought the IM50 already. I know I liked it a lot when fed from my X3 but still trying to justify the possible purchase LOL! Not good for my wallet.........

I remember you stating somewhere they are usually under 10% discount, do you mind telling me where you saw the discount?

There are 2 simple workaround to soften IM03 treble if you think it sounds metallic on X3:
1. Use X3 treble adjustment to reduce it. In fact I like X3 tone control, very good sound of treble and bass adjustment, well designed tone control circuit!
2. Use additional resistor to increase the output impedance, like my experiment on page 1, on the 4th post about output impedance:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/705687/review-of-audio-technica-ath-im01-ath-im02-ath-im03-ath-im04-ath-im50-ath-im70#post_10270915

Make a DIY mini jack short extension with resistor in the connector. For IM03, I suggest 10 ohms resistor for each channel.
I sometime use the 22 ohms extension shown in the above link, with my Dunu DN-1000, for playing bright recording, to soften the treble. It works quite well :)

Feb 19, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #127 of 3,060
  Wow.. one of the best reviews written for anything not just IEMs, thank you really, gives me a very good idea of what to expect. Imma go try out IM03, IM04 and IM70 at the local shop

One of the best review I've read. Salute!

beerchug.gif

Feb 19, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #128 of 3,060
  Any specific comparisons to the RE400? 

I really like the RE400, but actually like my cheaper PL50 better. 

And forgot to mention, really awesome post!

I haven't tried the IM50/IM70, but from what people are saying, both will have much more bass than RE-400.

Feb 19, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #129 of 3,060
I was about to buy some shure se125's (possibly the extended bass edition) for my X3 - but now I am not so sure. (Arghhh :xf_eek:).

I need a good isolating iem, which the shures are, but am concerned that the dynamic range does not extend and that the extended version may be too muddy.
Would any of you recommend an equivalent ATH's as a better replacement?

Classical, Baroque, Contemporary Classical, Muse....should give you an idea of my listening.

As I said, isolation - very important. Price needs to be Se125's ish.

What do you think?
Thanks.

:)

Feb 19, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #130 of 3,060
I was about to buy some shure se125's (possibly the extended bass edition) for my X3 - but now I am not so sure. (Arghhh
redface.gif
).

I need a good isolating iem, which the shures are, but am concerned that the dynamic range does not extend and that the extended version may be too muddy.

Classical, Baroque, Contemporary Classical, Muse....should give you an idea of my listening.

What do you think?
Thanks.

smily_headphones1.gif

I would consider IM70 and IM02. For classical alone, and acoustic instruments, IM02 excels. For mix classical and modern genres, IM70 is a better option.
You can read more on in depth review for those model.

Feb 20, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #131 of 3,060
I was about to buy some shure se125's (possibly the extended bass edition) for my X3 - but now I am not so sure. (Arghhh :xf_eek:).

What do you think?
Thanks.

:)

Isolation pretty depends on each individual's ear shape. But for me, I have the IM50 and isolation is not top notch. In fact I would put it as slightly below average. The SE215 can isolate better for me. Mainly due to the design of the IM50. For me the nozzles are too long. The 45 degree angled nozzle makes it harder to achieve a good fitting and seal. The body of the IM50 is pretty large too. With that said, I presume the IM series to adopt a similar structure and design, hence it's important for you to try out the fit yourself before committing to it.

The Sony hybrids does help me out in the isolation but comparisons wise it's still not as good as my ASG-2, XBA30, W4R or the SE215.

Hope this helps.

Feb 20, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #132 of 3,060
Isolation pretty depends on each individual's ear shape. But for me, I have the IM50 and isolation is not top notch. In fact I would put it as slightly below average. The SE215 can isolate better for me. Mainly due to the design of the IM50. For me the nozzles are too long. The 45 degree angled nozzle makes it harder to achieve a good fitting and seal. The body of the IM50 is pretty large too. With that said, I presume the IM series to adopt a similar structure and design, hence it's important for you to try out the fit yourself before committing to it.

The Sony hybrids does help me out in the isolation but comparisons wise it's still not as good as my ASG-2, XBA30, W4R or the SE215.

Hope this helps.

that's really good info. The isolation needs to work both ways, which is what drew me to the se125's.
A large part of the problem is that the nearest city with *possibly* a shop with this kind of stuff is about 3000k away. Makes all of this a bit difficult (the majority of my posts are " whats this like?, or whats that do?". ) so I rely on headfier such as yourself for clues. i am suspecting I may get the shures just because of the likelyhood of fit and isolation....a compromise, I understand.

I would consider IM70 and IM02. For classical alone, and acoustic instruments, IM02 excels. For mix classical and modern genres, IM70 is a better option.
You can read more on in depth review for those model.

Thanks earfonia - that is Definately the info I needed - should I get these. (See above).

Feb 20, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #133 of 3,060
that's really good info. The isolation needs to work both ways, which is what drew me to the se125's.
A large part of the problem is that the nearest city with *possibly* a shop with this kind of stuff is about 3000k away. Makes all of this a bit difficult (the majority of my posts are " whats this like?, or whats that do?". ) so I rely on headfier such as yourself for clues. i am suspecting I may get the shures just because of the likelyhood of fit and isolation....a compromise, I understand.

Well, in that case, on the safer note it'll be the choice of SE215. Although the fit of SE215 isn't perfect for everyone, it's a better fitting IEM than the IM50, at least to me. :)

I wouldn't exactly say the SE215 will be a compromise too. Because both SE215Ltd and IM50 houses a very different sound signature. IM50 is more suited for vocals and bass lovers. Mids and vocals are pretty forward. Much so than the ASG2 but not as smooth and textured. Timbre on IM50 is realistic too but a notch below ASG2. Bass is fantastic on IM50 especially sub bass which is not as apparent on the ASG2. It's unfair to compare the IM50 to the ASG2 based on price point but IM50 really isn't tailing too far behind.

The SE215Ltd opposed to IM50 houses a more relax sound providing smoother transition and more liquid flow of vocals and instruments. Bass is present with nice texture but definitely no fight for IM50. If you ain't a bass head, I suppose the bass on 215Ltd will suffice. Mids and vocals compared to IM50 takes a back seat. But definitely not recessed.

To me, I still find the IM50 more enjoyable. And especially at its price point vs SE215Ltd, it is the obvious choice but at the slight expense of a tougher fit and lesser isolation, but amazingly, still sound so full and coherent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back