Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Aug 15, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #948 of 3,060
  I'm really curious about the lunashops cable for my IM02s, but I think those 40 dollars could be better spent on an amplifier. Anyone have experience with an E12?

Get Fiio E12DIY, you can customize the sound to your liking.

Aug 15, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #949 of 3,060
I picked up some IM03s. liking them! i wanted something to travel with for now not too expensive. at some point will want CIEMs.

I also ordered the Lunashop cable. Anyone else making cables to fit these? I sort of wanted a 90 degree plug.

any favorite tips for these?

thx

Aug 15, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #951 of 3,060
  I picked up some IM03s. liking them! i wanted something to travel with for now not too expensive. at some point will want CIEMs.

I also ordered the Lunashop cable. Anyone else making cables to fit these? I sort of wanted a 90 degree plug.

any favorite tips for these?

thx

I'm sure there are more cables, but doubt anything of high quality in $40 price range.  Yeah, 90deg plug would be great, but most of these cables are slim/straight.  Btw, I just received today their smartphone cable: http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=4344 , will test and review in a day or so.

Using my IM03 with UE900 silicone eartips http://buy.logitech.com/store/logib2c/en_US/DisplayCategoryProductListPage/categoryid.60213000

Aug 16, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #954 of 3,060
This is a review of Lunashops replacement cable with in-line remote for Audio Technica ATH-IMxx series headphones. http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=4344

After my last review of Lunashops silver-plated audio replacement cable for ATH-IMxx series, I would like to look now into another replacement cable with in-line remote for calls and music controls when connected to your smartphone.

Available at a faction of the OEM in-line remote cable cost (only $20 shipped), this is another high quality cable for those who are on a budget and don't want to sacrifice the performance. Arrived in a plain small ziploc bag, it was carefully packaged and taped in a bubble wrap and mailed inside of a small bubble-padded envelope to ensure safe delivery. Cable itself is a little bit longer than stock, 1.3m, but uses the same OFC copper wires as OEM and similar color-coded 2-pin connectors with red designated for a right side. Furthermore, each connector is labeled with corresponding L/R marking and L one has a dimple to id it in the dark.

The cable has a soft cotton braided net shielding which resembles shoe lace, and it actually feels very nice to the touch and when placed over the ear. Just make sure to keep it away from velcro, it will pull it apart :) At first I was a bit surprised that cable cinch wasn't included, but once I tried these on, I found it wasn't even necessary since the soft nature of the cable shaped naturally around my ear. It also makes it easy when you need to wrap the cable for storage. For anybody who has IM01-04 and IM50-70, you know very well that between memory wire loop and heavy duty cable you need a large headphone case for storage, especially if you want to keep the shape of memory wire. Here, you can use any compact small headphone case. The 3.5mm plug has TRRS gold plated connector, and the housing of the plug is straight with a small diamond cut ring area toward the end (enhances the grip when you pull the connector out) and also a strain relief.

Of course, the star of this cable is in-line remote with microphone which also serve as y-splitter for the cable. The mic opening and multi-function button is on the same side, with a button being slightly raised and easy to locate by sliding a finger without even looking at remote. The button has functionality to pick up and hang up a phone call with a single click, and also to control the music playback with a single click for Play/Pause, double click to skip next and triple click to skip previous, all tested successfully on my Note 2. Long press starts Google NOW. In addition, there is a switch to ensure compatibility with different smart phones. As some of you might aware, common multifunction button in different headphones work well with Galaxy, LG, HTC, and iPhone, while sometime it doesn't work as expected with Moto, Sony, Nokia, and some others. This switch ensures full compatibility with all smart phones. Another important point, though remote/mic is located farther away from your mouth down by y-splitter location, the mic has an excellent sensitivity without a need to raise remote to your mouth. The reason I'm bringing this up because Pistons headphones cable has remote/mic in the same location, and I always have to bring it up to my mouth for people on the other side to hear me. This cable doesn't require that.

As you can see, cable has a great build quality and robust remote/mic functionality. So how about the audio quality? I have tested it on IM03 and IM50 comparing to stock cable, and can tell you with 100% certainty - the audio quality is IDENTICAL! Don't expect an enhancement since this is not silver plated cable, but rather OFC replacement cable. But the fact that adding remote/mic inline didn't affect the sound quality means a high quality workmanship since the continuity of the wire was interrupted to add the remote/mic while sound quality still remained unchanged. Also, I sensed no microphonics effect.

Overall, for $20 this is a fantastic cable that enhances functionality of your Audio-Technica ATH-IM series headphones, helps to get rid off memory wire (for those who are not fans of it), and adds call and music playback control when used with your smartphone. Unfortunately, there is no volume control, but considering how volume control varies between Android and iOS and even between different Android phones, looks like Lunashops decided to use universal remote control to cater to most of the smartphones. I definitely recommend this cable!

Here are the pictures.

With IM03

With IM50

Aug 16, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #955 of 3,060

this is the original AT upgrade cable? I wonder how different other than the 90 deg plug? thanks

Makes a difference, see post 300 in this thread, and my post earlier,

About an hour into the new cables, so far - greater resolution, more detail, brings the earphones up a notch overall.
Will have to compare against original cables to confirm this, in case my memory is failing me, but so far I'm impressed.

and my further observations from here:

After doing some a/b comparisons using the new Audio Technica AT-HDC5/1.2 cable I am simply amazed.

Cable can be found here: http://www.audio-technica.co.jp/atj/show_model.php?modelId=2418

I used the cable on both the Sony NW-ZX1 that I recently acquired and my iBasso HDP-R10.
The earphones were the IM02 and the IM03. If someone wants to send me the IM04, I would be more than happy to add it to my impressions.

With the IM03, the HDC5 cable gives it a brighter sound, with better detail.  Lows are still there, but not as upfront, highs are brought out.
With the IM02, the neutral sound continues, but bass is improved. Highs get a tad more sparkly, bigger soundstage overall, and details are further brought out.  
The biggest difference seems to be on the IM03, it really makes these go up another step in audio quality. The change is good on the IM02 as well, but not as drastic, you get more detail and a slightly more open sound.
With either earphone, I recommend this cable, but only if you like a bright signature, because this will make your high’s more sparkly, perhaps to sparkly for some.
 If you prefer a darker soundstage, stick to the IM03, and call it a day.

Especially with the IM03, if you like a bright sound full of detail, but the better low end reproduction of the IM03, then this cable is really a must. With the IM02, the neutral sound is made slightly brighter and details are improved.

Myself, I'm keeping the cable on the IM03, and the stock on the IM02.

Cheers.  

Aug 16, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #956 of 3,060
This is a review of Lunashops replacement cable with in-line remote for Audio Technica ATH-IMxx series headphones. [COLOR=0066CC]http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=4344[/COLOR]

After my last review of Lunashops silver-plated audio replacement cable for ATH-IMxx series, I would like to look now into another replacement cable with in-line remote for calls and music controls when connected to your smartphone.

Available at a faction of the OEM in-line remote cable cost (only $20 shipped), this is another high quality cable for those who are on a budget and don't want to sacrifice the performance. Arrived in a plain small ziploc bag, it was carefully packaged and taped in a bubble wrap and mailed inside of a small bubble-padded envelope to ensure safe delivery. Cable itself is a little bit longer than stock, 1.3m, but uses the same OFC copper wires as OEM and similar color-coded 2-pin connectors with red designated for a right side. Furthermore, each connector is labeled with corresponding L/R marking and L one has a dimple to id it in the dark.

The cable has a soft cotton braided net shielding which resembles shoe lace, and it actually feels very nice to the touch and when placed over the ear. Just make sure to keep it away from velcro, it will pull it apart :) At first I was a bit surprised that cable cinch wasn't included, but once I tried these on, I found it wasn't even necessary since the soft nature of the cable shaped naturally around my ear. It also makes it easy when you need to wrap the cable for storage. For anybody who has IM01-04 and IM50-70, you know very well that between memory wire loop and heavy duty cable you need a large headphone case for storage, especially if you want to keep the shape of memory wire. Here, you can use any compact small headphone case. The 3.5mm plug has TRRS gold plated connector, and the housing of the plug is straight with a small diamond cut ring area toward the end (enhances the grip when you pull the connector out) and also a strain relief.

Of course, the star of this cable is in-line remote with microphone which also serve as y-splitter for the cable. The mic opening and multi-function button is on the same side, with a button being slightly raised and easy to locate by sliding a finger without even looking at remote. The button has functionality to pick up and hang up a phone call with a single click, and also to control the music playback with a single click for Play/Pause, double click to skip next and triple click to skip previous, all tested successfully on my Note 2. Long press starts Google NOW. In addition, there is a switch to ensure compatibility with different smart phones. As some of you might aware, common multifunction button in different headphones work well with Galaxy, LG, HTC, and iPhone, while sometime it doesn't work as expected with Moto, Sony, Nokia, and some others. This switch ensures full compatibility with all smart phones. Another important point, though remote/mic is located farther away from your mouth down by y-splitter location, the mic has an excellent sensitivity without a need to raise remote to your mouth. The reason I'm bringing this up because Pistons headphones cable has remote/mic in the same location, and I always have to bring it up to my mouth for people on the other side to hear me. This cable doesn't require that.

As you can see, cable has a great build quality and robust remote/mic functionality. So how about the audio quality? I have tested it on IM03 and IM50 comparing to stock cable, and can tell you with 100% certainty - the audio quality is IDENTICAL! Don't expect an enhancement since this is not silver plated cable, but rather OFC replacement cable. But the fact that adding remote/mic inline didn't affect the sound quality means a high quality workmanship since the continuity of the wire was interrupted to add the remote/mic while sound quality still remained unchanged. Also, I sensed no microphonics effect.

Overall, for $20 this is a fantastic cable that enhances functionality of your Audio-Technica ATH-IM series headphones, helps to get rid off memory wire (for those who are not fans of it), and adds call and music playback control when used with your smartphone. Unfortunately, there is no volume control, but considering how volume control varies between Android and iOS and even between different Android phones, looks like Lunashops decided to use universal remote control to cater to most of the smartphones. I definitely recommend this cable!

Here are the pictures.

With IM03

With IM50

Great review and images!

Aug 16, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #957 of 3,060
that cable looks really good! especially for $20 ... will be getting one for sure.

Aug 16, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #958 of 3,060
One thing I do want to mention, ATH two pin connector is not like mmcx which has higher durability and longer lasting lifetime. ATH one is all plastic and the part of the connector inside of earpieces has a little tab with a small cutout. I noticed a small crack already inside of one IM50 earpiece. It still interlocks fine and nothing to be concerned about for now, but I have done multiple dozens of cable replacements and swaps on that one doing reviews, taking pictures, comparing different cables. Probably not your typical use, but just keep it in mind.

Aug 16, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #959 of 3,060

...the mic has an excellent sensitivity without a need to raise remote to your mouth. The reason I'm bringing this up because Pistons headphones cable has remote/mic in the same location, and I always have to bring it up to my mouth for people on the other side to hear me. This cable doesn't require that.

Nice review!
I've put the link for this review on first page.

Good to know this cable with mic doesn't degrade the sound quality!  That's awesome for $20 cable with mic!

I just received my silver plated OFC cable, but haven't got time to compare with the stock cable. Overall build quality is very good! 
normal_smile .gif

Sound impressions later.

Aug 17, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #960 of 3,060

Wow, the Lunashop Silver plated OFC replacement cable for the ATH-IM series, is not only pretty, but sounds good!
Definitely improvement over the AT stock cable.

The Silver plated OFC cable sounds tighter, slightly improve the detail and clarity. Treble is slightly more transparent. Very nice indeed!
I would say the improvement is not night and day, but definitely audible. What I like is the improvement in detail and tightness, where the imaging is now clearer, more focus & transparent.
I use Jazz at the Pawnshop for testing.

The connector clicks tightly, good quality 3rd party connector. Also it is more comfortable without the memory wire.

I think I need another one for balanced cable 
ksc75smile.gif

Highly Recommended! 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back