Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Mar 10, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #1,757 of 3,060
  Big improvement for my IM70. Bass, mids, and treble are clearer are less veiled. Bass is more bassy, treble is more trebly. I am so good at descriptions.

And the mids? More midsy? 
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #1,759 of 3,060
Hey guys,

I'm brand new to audio and really interested in picking up either the IM50s or the IM70s to go along with my M50x. Reading the review, I see that the IM70s are closer to the M50x signature, but quite a few comments have stated that the IM50s are closer to the M50x than the IM70s. If I really enjoy the M50x, which one would be better for me? 

Mar 12, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #1,762 of 3,060
My upgraded cable for ATH IM series is here.

TRRS plug...or balanced 3.5
7N-OFC....or 99.99999% pure copper, oxygen free

Specifically being used on ZX2 and IM04

Wow, the cable looks great! Where did you get them from?

Mar 12, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #1,763 of 3,060
Wow, the cable looks great! Where did you get them from?

I got it from EBay, and the seller will take special instructions to make the cable to order as well. I requested him to make me this cable with 4 poles connectors :D for ZX2

TygameHK09 (seller name)

1 week shipping all the way from HK to the U.S.

He also make 5N purity silver cables as well, but they are 290$ a pop lol......well, can't complain as it is 99.999% silver :D, not to mention how brittle pure silver may be, and to be able to make it for portable gears.....it is ways worth it. I can't spend that much for cable alone yet :D

Mar 12, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #1,765 of 3,060
Still loving the IM03. the Phonak Audeo tips (L) give me the best seal so far. still not perfect? have tried many.

I have the upgraded AT cable: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOACS-34406

wonder about this cable: http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=4691

I am not an expert, but I can share you some of my findings. Only take it if you think it is useful.

The lunashop cable you are looking at is 6N, or 99.9999% copper. That is quality copper right there. So you are safe. I prefer pure and quality copper than silver....even though silver has the best attributes and the most expensive. From home stereos experience, silver has about the same quality as pure quality copper. Some speakers may lack so much bass and overly boosting mid and high...why ? Because the engineer and everybody else tune and design their speakers from the use of coppers.....and not silver :D

I found I'm-04 with my upgraded cable sounds the same as IM-03 with silver plated cable.....believe it or not. But 04 has more articulated bass, and more pronounced, even the lower-mid, and lower-high spectrums are more pronounced.

To me, im04 is the big brother and is the top dog of IM series.

Mar 12, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #1,766 of 3,060
Just got the Lunashops cloth cable with remote/mic. It sounds the same and the remote works well (I can't get it to do three taps for skip back but I never use that so whatever). The plug works fine with everything except my Moto X, where I have to push them together hard and sometimes when I put it in my pocket it backs out a little and then sounds quiet and hollow so I have to push it in again. I plan to upgrade my phone so hopefully this won't be a problem. I bought this on eBay. Interestingly, I emailed Lunashops and they never got back to me.

Mar 12, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #1,767 of 3,060
I have the IM50... and been enjoying it for a while, (especially for commuting) have 1 compaint though... I get ear fatigue after long hours of listening. I use a Sony MDR MA 100 at home (planning for MA 900 upgrade) and been my choice for long hours session, I'm also liking it's sound more for wider genre of music, but the IM 50 easily trumps it at vocal (one of mmy main focus). from the IM-0x series, which is better for long hours listening , has wide soundstage, and good for acoustic music? or should I be looking for a semi open IEM's instead? I want an IEM that can cover IM50's weakness... listening acoustic music from it sounds a bit unnatural for me...

Mar 12, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #1,769 of 3,060
I got it from EBay, and the seller will take special instructions to make the cable to order as well. I requested him to make me this cable with 4 poles connectors
biggrin.gif
for ZX2

TygameHK09 (seller name)

Thanks. I'm looking through Tygame's store on eBay. His cables sure look pretty, and prices seem reasonable.

Just got the Lunashops cloth cable with remote/mic. It sounds the same and the remote works well (I can't get it to do three taps for skip back but I never use that so whatever). The plug works fine with everything except my Moto X, where I have to push them together hard and sometimes when I put it in my pocket it backs out a little and then sounds quiet and hollow so I have to push it in again. I plan to upgrade my phone so hopefully this won't be a problem. I bought this on eBay. Interestingly, I emailed Lunashops and they never got back to me.

That's what I was looking at myself. I hate memory wire, so that cable seems right up my alley. Very affordable, too. How's the quality on the cloth cables?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back