Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Mar 5, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #1,726 of 3,060

Then put them back on. I am afraid you won't hear the difference again when you get the $25 Lunashops silver cable. 
biggrin.gif
 Because I could hear some slight differences after removing the filters or changing the tips. 

You mean the difference the cable makes is about the same as the difference removing the filters makes?

Mar 5, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #1,727 of 3,060
  You mean the difference the cable makes is about the same as the difference removing the filters makes?

I don't know since I don't have the upgrade cable but either changing the tips or filter mod make a difference on my side.

Here is @twister6's review for the Lunashops cable. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/705687/review-of-audio-technica-ath-im01-ath-im02-ath-im03-ath-im04-ath-im50-ath-im70/1005

"The sound gets brighter, more detailed, and improves perception of the soundstage width, though not necessary makes the sound wider.  It also helps to improve the low end perception, making it crispier and less veil.  In case of this cable, you can definitely hear the benefit of sound improvement over the stock cable and the replacement OFC w/remote cable."

These are exactly the same improvements after I removed the filters. Maybe it gives you an idea of what the silver plated upgrade cable will help to an extend. 
wink.gif

Mar 5, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #1,728 of 3,060

No....the filter removal would increase the clarity just as much as the silver plated cable I bought from lunashop....if you do both, they will be added up :D...

Now, bare in mind that this mic cable from Luna shop, the 25$ version is of 5n-ofc .....and silver plated. If you wonder what 5n-ofc stands for.

OFC= Oxygen Free Copper

5N = grade of the copper, 99.999% purity ....notice 5 number nines ? 5N is being read as 5 nines In China and other countries......so I have seen 8N as well :D

But the most expensive cables now would be put silver....or 4N silvers cable....these are upto 300-400$ a shot....may as well wear as a necklace :D

Mar 5, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #1,729 of 3,060
No....the filter removal would increase the clarity just as much as the silver plated cable I bought from lunashop....if you do both, they will be added up :D...

Now, bare in mind that this mic cable from Luna shop, the 25$ version is of 5n-ofc .....and silver plated. If you wonder what 5n-ofc stands for.

OFC= Oxygen Free Copper

5N = grade of the copper, 99.999% purity ....notice 5 number nines ? 5N is being read as 5 nines In China and other countries......so I have seen 8N as well :D

But the most expensive cables now would be put silver....or 4N silvers cable....these are upto 300-400$ a shot....may as well wear as a necklace :D

Thank you so much for explaining that. I have been wondering and couldn't find an explanation. I approach audiophile claims with skepticism. I will not believe for a second that there is any audible difference due to a .000009% difference.

Mar 5, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #1,730 of 3,060
Thank you so much for explaining that. I have been wondering and couldn't find an explanation. I approach audiophile claims with skepticism. I will not believe for a second that there is any audible difference due to a .000009% difference.

True! But you know ? Some people would love the uniqueness and the price they would pay for something :D....for that said, upgraded cable do contribute into the conductivity and lower the resistance together. Ultimately result into the sound quality differences....some more than others. But in the case of IM70 there are observable changes

Mar 5, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #1,731 of 3,060

Well, there is difference but it depends whether your ear able to pick up or not.

I'm not convinced like you too, till I sway my normal copper wire with a Fiio L16, guess what, I went to order the sliver plated cable from luna shop for my IM03 immediately.

Mar 6, 2015 at 4:16 AM Post #1,732 of 3,060
Is anybody using IM70 with FiiO X1? What is your settings for equalizer?

After Xiaomi Piston 2.1 Gold i can't say IM70 sounds much better. It's just different.
I use http://en.goldenears.net/31885 review and my EQ settings for IM70 is:
62hz: -6db
160: -6
400: -4
1000: 0
3000: +4
8000: -5
16000: +6

Mar 6, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #1,733 of 3,060
  Is anybody using IM70 with FiiO X1? What is your settings for equalizer?

After Xiaomi Piston 2.1 Gold i can't say IM70 sounds much better. It's just different.
I use http://en.goldenears.net/31885 review and my EQ settings for IM70 is:
62hz: -6db
160: -6
400: -4
1000: 0
3000: +4
8000: -5
16000: +6

Not agreed. IM70 is waaay better than Pisssstons 2.1 in all areas. With that settings, IM70 will sound worser than anything for sure. Set your EQ to flat to really appreciate its beautiful sound. 

Mar 6, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #1,735 of 3,060

From my observation so far, I don't believe expensive cables will always sound better.  But I'm a cable believer by experience.  I made many cables for my own experiments, and I do observed differences in sound signature just by swapping cables.  I observe, differences mostly due to cable structure, coaxial, twisted, or braided. Material also cause differences.  Easiest example is DITA. Their IEM, The Answer and The Answer Truth Edition, are exactly using the same driver and housing structure. The only difference between the two is the cable. And that's enough to cause significant changes to the price.  The sound signature between the two is clearly different. Not night and day different, but clearly different even by untrained ears. I had the opportunity last year to borrow both for more than a month, so I could clearly observe the differences. From the info I got so far, The 
Van den Hul cable on the Truth Edition is interestingly not high purity copper or silver, but it is an alloy of many different material.

There are many expensive cable out there that has very little difference over stock cable. While there are some inexpensive that cables might give nice improvement. For example, 4 wires inexpensive headphone cable might sound better than very expensive 3 wires cable, due to separate or joint ground wire. So don't just look at how pure the copper or silver, but how many wires also important. So, don't judge cable by its price tag. There are many factors to be considered. Hearing is believing. We simple has to test it ourselves.  YMMV 
wink_face.gif

Mar 6, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #1,736 of 3,060
From my observation so far, I don't believe expensive cables will always sound better.  But I'm a cable believer by experience.  I made many cables for my own experiments, and I do observed differences in sound signature just by swapping cables.  I observe, differences mostly due to cable structure, coaxial, twisted, or braided. Material also cause differences.  Easiest example is DITA. Their IEM, The Answer and The Answer Truth Edition, are exactly using the same driver and housing structure. The only difference between the two is the cable. And that's enough to cause significant changes to the price.  The sound signature between the two is clearly different. Not night and day different, but clearly different even by untrained ears. I had the opportunity last year to borrow both for more than a month, so I could clearly observe the differences. From the info I got so far, The[COLOR=000000] Van den Hul cable on the Truth Edition is interestingly not high purity copper or silver, but it is an alloy of many different material.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]There are many expensive cable out there that has very little difference over stock cable. While there are some inexpensive that cables might give nice improvement. For example, 4 wires inexpensive headphone cable might sound better than very expensive 3 wires cable, due to separate or joint ground wire. So don't just look at how pure the copper or silver, but how many wires also important. So, don't judge cable by its price tag. There are many factors to be considered. Hearing is believing. We simple has to test it ourselves.  YMMV [/COLOR]:wink_face:

Thank you earphonia. A well done experiment ! This will stop some people to keep on denying how the cable can change the sound quality. Have you ever had the chance to test the ZX2 output yet ? I wonder if ZX2 output can improve im-02 sound :D

Mar 6, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #1,737 of 3,060
Thank you earphonia. A well done experiment ! This will stop some people to keep on denying how the cable can change the sound quality. Have you ever had the chance to test the ZX2 output yet ? I wonder if ZX2 output can improve im-02 sound
biggrin.gif

I haven't tried Sony ZX2. I tried ZX1, should be a good option for IM02. At around 1.56 ohm output impedance (measured), ZX1 is a safe option. Not sure of ZX2.

Mar 6, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #1,739 of 3,060
If the IM02 has an analytical sound signature what basic category does the IM70 fall under? Balanced?

Warm and detailed.

Mar 6, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #1,740 of 3,060
If the IM02 has an analytical sound signature what basic category does the IM70 fall under? Balanced?

IM70 would be warm and smooth, mid forward, or musical. What it sounds like you looking for is from what I've heard, the CKR series, or from what I haven't, maybe the IM03. Both may be too pricey for what you want, but that's what I'm thinking. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back