Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Mar 6, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #1,741 of 3,060
Thank you earphonia. A well done experiment ! This will stop some people to keep on denying how the cable can change the sound quality. Have you ever had the chance to test the ZX2 output yet ? I wonder if ZX2 output can improve im-02 sound
biggrin.gif

It could be their ears really cannot tell the difference. :)

Mar 6, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #1,742 of 3,060
But I have ordered IM-04 and 7N-OFC cables with 4 poles to use with ZX2

I will update, but my cable will not be here until 6 weeks.....my IM-04 will arrive tomorrow. One thing is for sure that SE846 look ways more compact and comfortable than im-04 housing

Congrats on your purchase! Awaiting your own impressions! 
smile.gif

I've always found Shure's recent SE line of IEMs very comfortable. The SE846 fits in my ear better than the IM04, which looks and feels somewhat like a quasi-custom.

From my observation so far, I don't believe expensive cables will always sound better.  But I'm a cable believer by experience.  I made many cables for my own experiments, and I do observed differences in sound signature just by swapping cables.  I observe, differences mostly due to cable structure, coaxial, twisted, or braided. Material also cause differences.  Easiest example is DITA. Their IEM, The Answer and The Answer Truth Edition, are exactly using the same driver and housing structure. The only difference between the two is the cable. And that's enough to cause significant changes to the price.  The sound signature between the two is clearly different. Not night and day different, but clearly different even by untrained ears. I had the opportunity last year to borrow both for more than a month, so I could clearly observe the differences. From the info I got so far, The 
Van den Hul cable on the Truth Edition is interestingly not high purity copper or silver, but it is an alloy of many different material.

I was never a believer in cables myself, until I got to try a few top notch brands (Toxic Cables, PW Audio, Double Helix). They really improved the sound for me - a lot of it could be down to expectation bias, or the placebo effect. Still, some A/Bing does yield apparent sonic differences. Quite amazing, actually.

Mar 7, 2015 at 4:54 AM Post #1,744 of 3,060
Just got a pair of IM02s yesterday- really beautiful - just my type of neutral leaning to bright sound, isn't too fatiguing and plays well with my A17 Walkman. People sure weren't joking about how they totally excoriate  lower fidelity recordings (found myself hitting skip on some older folk, soul, ska/reggae and punk tracks) and poorly compressed files though 
biggrin.gif

I just wish they were comfortable- can't really manage them for more than 90 minutes. Would have loved to try the 03 or 04 (if they ever hit a decent sale), but the nozzle/body make it unlikely. Curious if people have found the fit of the IM50/70 any different? They look slightly different in the pictures, thinking I'd like to try the 50s if so.

My first pair of Audio Technicas, so also wondering if any of their on/over ear phones have a similar sound sig to the IM02? I've read everything from people saying they are "typical AT" to "offbeat", so a bit confused.

Mar 7, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #1,745 of 3,060

I just wish they were comfortable- can't really manage them for more than 90 minutes. Would have loved to try the 03 or 04 (if they ever hit a decent sale), but the nozzle/body make it unlikely. Curious if people have found the fit of the IM50/70 any different? They look slightly different in the pictures, thinking I'd like to try the 50s if so.

The IM02 and IM50/70 are quite similar in terms of fit and comfort. I don't find one better than the other in this regard.

Mar 7, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #1,746 of 3,060
Actually, despite being larger 03/04 , but they fit similar....and I think they fit better than im70. Large housing, but all edges are rounded, and short nozzle. I just dropped them right in, where as im70 was still rocking back and forth

Mar 7, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #1,747 of 3,060

I just wish they were comfortable- can't really manage them for more than 90 minutes. 

do not worry, after some time you will get use to it.

At first, my im03 I need to remove almost every hour, just now, I can wear almost the whole day without even thinking they are there.

Mar 7, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #1,748 of 3,060
do not worry, after some time you will get use to it.

At first, my im03 I need to remove almost every hour, just now, I can wear almost the whole day without even thinking they are there.

Absolutely ! Probably the ears became numb :D...j/k...I couldn't manage im70 too well, but Im-04 is very comfortable

Mar 7, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #1,749 of 3,060
Just got a pair of IM02s yesterday- really beautiful - just my type of neutral leaning to bright sound, isn't too fatiguing and plays well with my A17 Walkman. People sure weren't joking about how they totally excoriate  lower fidelity recordings (found myself hitting skip on some older folk, soul, ska/reggae and punk tracks) and poorly compressed files though  :D

My first pair of Audio Technicas, so also wondering if any of their on/over ear phones have a similar sound sig to the IM02? I've read everything from people saying they are "typical AT" to "offbeat", so a bit confused.

Im70 fit big ears better. I found the im02 to have a bit of a shallow fit and had trouble getting a good seal. I have no such issues with the im70. Both of them were comfortable for long periods but I'd give the edge to the im70.

Mar 7, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #1,750 of 3,060
  Curious if people have found the fit of the IM50/70 any different?

Both the IM02 and IM70 felt comfortable to me with the Comply tips, though I didn't wear them for a very long time. The silicone tips felt useless to me as the IEMs shot out of my ears immediately when I put them in with those tips. The bigger size of the IM50/70 means they stick much further out. That didn't make them feel different to me, but combined with the bright red color on the IM70, it makes them very noticeable.

Mar 7, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #1,751 of 3,060
Both the IM02 and IM70 felt comfortable to me with the Comply tips, though I didn't wear them for a very long time. The silicone tips felt useless to me as the IEMs shot out of my ears immediately when I put them in with those tips. The bigger size of the IM50/70 means they stick much further out. That didn't make them feel different to me, but combined with the bright red color on the IM70, it makes them very noticeable.

I am using Soundsoul S-18 bi flanges tips. They are softer, shorter, wider....and biflanges just grab :D, while using comply I felt like lower-low, and lower-mid bands got attenuated a little bit on IM-04. And biflanges works well, it makes the whole housing fit into my lobes much better, also allows the nozzles to expose and insert deeper into the canals.....as any BA natures, closer, better seals for best sound quality :D

Mar 7, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #1,752 of 3,060
Thanks for the replies! I think maybe my ear canals are a little shallow compared to average- I can get a good seal with small and medium tips but IM02 don't sit as deep as in the pictures I've seen of other people wearing them - I think a lot of the discomfort is not just large nozzle but from the way the housing sits. Comply tips are a bit more secure for me as well, though I find I prefer the silicone comfort-wise. Glad to have the 02, but think I'll avoid the 50/70 from what seems general consensus- maybe if I find a good trade or sale someday to try them out.

*edit* Tried using the large tips today, and it's actually a bit more comfortable, sits more shallow/outer and loses some isolation, but it helps hold the shell maybe 3-5 millimeters further out so the corners aren't resting as much on my outer ear ridges. Having it further out does seem to cost some of the high detail (my favorite thing about the sound, but such is life) and a bit of the bass punch, but still sounds great and I can tolerate an extra hour with the 02s in.

Mar 8, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #1,753 of 3,060
  Thanks for the replies! I think maybe my ear canals are a little shallow compared to average- I can get a good seal with small and medium tips but IM02 don't sit as deep as in the pictures I've seen of other people wearing them - I think a lot of the discomfort is not just large nozzle but from the way the housing sits. Comply tips are a bit more secure for me as well, though I find I prefer the silicone comfort-wise. Glad to have the 02, but think I'll avoid the 50/70 from what seems general consensus- maybe if I find a good trade or sale someday to try them out.

*edit* Tried using the large tips today, and it's actually a bit more comfortable, sits more shallow/outer and loses some isolation, but it helps hold the shell maybe 3-5 millimeters further out so the corners aren't resting as much on my outer ear ridges. Having it further out does seem to cost some of the high detail (my favorite thing about the sound, but such is life) and a bit of the bass punch, but still sounds great and I can tolerate an extra hour with the 02s in.

You could always do something like this: http://notanaudiophile.blogspot.com/2013/02/diy-turn-your-earphones-into-custom-iem.html
I've never done it though.

Mar 8, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #1,754 of 3,060

Add a spacer onto the nozzle (1,5-2mm thickness) for maximum comfort and isolation.

Mar 9, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #1,755 of 3,060
I just received the HiFimeDIY Android DAC and it is a huge improvement. It removes all of the static from my Moto X and improves the sound in general. Big improvement for my IM70. Bass, mids, and treble are clearer are less veiled. Bass is more bassy, treble is more trebly. I am so good at descriptions.

Edit: ...and I found out I can't use the in-line controls with it. I hate life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back